daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #561
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Yet another news and more important is for the 1st packet - ca. 75 km of D1 through PPP. But it´s maybe Qwert turn to bring this news
Thank you for updates.

Well, yesterday Slovak government approved PPP contract for about 75 km of motorway D1 (sections Dubná Skala – Ivachnová, Jánovce – Jabloňov, Fričovce – Svinia) basically between Martin and Prešov. We may expect signing the contract and official start of the works soon.

There has been also announced expressway R1 between Nitra and Tekovské Nemce will be finished a bit later - in July 2011.

Foundation-stone of R1 PPP project:

Photo from www.dialnice.info
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #562
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Just to be sure. The "twin main beam" design is this?

[image snipped]
Yea, where the bridge's structure uses two main support beams with cross beams and then much smaller 'stringer' beams parallel to the main beams to support the deck. The problem is a lack of structural redundancy in that design - if one of those two main beams fails, the bridge will likely collapse.

Viaduct bridges like that here will use either the joined-segmental design (the flowing solid-looking structures in those other viaducts) or many more main beams (five or more). In the latter case, if one of the main support beams fails, the others will be able to pick up its slack until the failure is found during a routine inspection and can be repaired - often with no loss of public utility or safety.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #563
Qwert

Thank you for explanation.

This is how expressway R1 between Trnava and Nitra looked this afternoon after strong hailstorm:

Source: http://natankuj.sme.sk/c/4395784/r1-...rupobitie.html
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #564
Qwert

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer

Photos from: http://www.dialnice.info/album_cat.p...r=DESC&start=0

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #565
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

D2 from Hungarian border - Rajka. View on Bratislava. 30.06.2008.

RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #566
Qwert

Today there was another terrible jam on D1 between Bratislava and Trnava and all parallel roads. It was caused by two accidents. During the first one a truck hit a cyclist(!!!) on the motorway. Shortly after that another truck was turned upside down and blocked the motorway. People were waiting in the jams for like 2 hours, those who got luck 4 hours. Because of this even parliament session had to be postponed.

The reasons:

Jammed parallel roads:

And jammed motorway:

Sources: http://spravy.pravda.sk/zrazka-kamio...k_ckronika_p23
http://natankuj.sme.sk/c/4811022/neh...prejazdna.html
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #567
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Damned, this is awful, really. Motorway cameras should be installed on the whole D1 BA-TT section, as they are on the Bratislava D1 ring. If properly monitored, this could diminished the danger of cyclists, etc. Together with higher fines for non-motor vehicles entering the motorway this could bring some effect. Luckily I did not met any cyclists on the motorway so far, but you never know...
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #568
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Horrible. Do many people cycle on motorways in Slovakia?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #569
Timoth12

Maybe one time a year you can hear a news, or story, that somebody like that entered the motorway. It´s hardly to judge, what do they have in mind.
We should also build more cycle paths so that they will have the road on their own.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #570
Timon91
Error

Over here people sometimes cycle on the motorway because it provides a shorter route to their destination. I cycled on an unused part of the A2 last year. It saved me 1,5 km on my way to school, on a total of 14,5 km. Still it was quite unsafe, but I was in a hurry and there was no traffic at all:

[IMG]http://i32.************/24pdruc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i27.************/15qoj1f.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM   #571
Qwert

Quote:
Damned, this is awful, really. Motorway cameras should be installed on the whole D1 BA-TT section, as they are on the Bratislava D1 ring. If properly monitored, this could diminished the danger of cyclists, etc. Together with higher fines for non-motor vehicles entering the motorway this could bring some effect. Luckily I did not met any cyclists on the motorway so far, but you never know...
It was terrible jam. According to the news it looks like a half of Slovakia was stuck there. Many of my friends were there too.

I think there will be cameras when it will be upgraded. And I guess the cyclist was one of the workers who upgrade the motorway. Who knows... But the jam was caused mainly by that second acident.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #572
Timoth12

Yeah, Timon, you used at least unused part. Some time ago I also used to bike on the road just before the opening. On the jammed and even motorway section it could be, however, dangerous. Yearly there are accidents resulting from the collisions of the cyclists on the roads, some of them deadly for the bikers. It happens mainly on the secondary roads.
I bet, that in Netherlands you have cycling paths between the main cities, this is what we do not have yet. Or do you hear from time to time about some accidents between bikers and other drivers?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #573
Timoth12

Quote:
It was terrible jam. According to the news it looks like a half of Slovakia was stuck there. Many of my friends were there too.

I think there will be cameras when it will be upgraded. And I guess the cyclist was one of the workers who upgrade the motorway. Who knows... But the jam was caused mainly by that second acident.
Qwert, let´s hope they will install them. Safety is not only widening the lanes, but also cameras, for example. And, if the cyclist was one of the construction company workers, it depends, if he biked on the way to the work, or during the work, some break or so. If it was letter case, the construction company could await problems.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM   #574
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
It was terrible jam. According to the news it looks like a half of Slovakia was stuck there.
pure randstad feeling... some windmill and the illusion is perfect...

Quote:
And I guess the cyclist was one of the workers who upgrade the motorway.
How was he hit?

I assume he was riding in the emergency lane...
did the truck drift of its lane?

maybe the 2nd accident was caused by the first one because of the sudden stop of the traffic...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #575
Timon91
Error

Quote:
I bet, that in Netherlands you have cycling paths between the main cities, this is what we do not have yet. Or do you hear from time to time about some accidents between bikers and other drivers?
We have lots of cycling paths, yes. Still many accidents happen due to car drivers not paying attention and reckless bikers.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM   #576
Qwert

Quote:
Qwert, let´s hope they will install them. Safety is not only widening the lanes, but also cameras, for example. And, if the cyclist was one of the construction company workers, it depends, if he biked on the way to the work, or during the work, some break or so. If it was letter case, the construction company could await problems.
That he was a worker is only my theory, of course. Otherwise I cannot imagine why he was there. Here is a photo (which I don't recommend to see for sensitive people). You can see there temporary markings plus horizontal signage isn't completed, which means works are in progress there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
pure randstad feeling... some windmill and the illusion is perfect...
These are few kilometres western from the place where the jams were, but still you can see there some Slovak motorways:

Quote:
How was he hit?

I assume he was riding in the emergency lane...
did the truck drift of its lane?
I don't know what exactly happened. It's being investigated. Few minutes before 5 am on the 15th kilometre of motorway D1 the cyclist was hit by Latvian truck. He was dead immediately. The driver didn't drink alcohol and the damages on truck cost about € 2,000. That's all we know. On the photo it seems he was riding in the driving lane.

Quote:
maybe the 2nd accident was caused by the first one because of the sudden stop of the traffic...
I don't think so, but I'm not sure too. It happened latter and about 6 km form the first accident, but there may be some at least indirect connection.

Last edited by Qwert; April 24th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM   #577
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

Hi everyone!

You have all created a great resource on Slovak motorways, which has proved very useful in planning my current holiday - taking my car to Bratislava, then a few days driving around Slovakia on a quick sightseeing mission. Many thanks indeed!

I am hoping to travel along all open D and R roads during my 3-day trip: roughly speaking, the route is Zilina, Skalite and back, Poprad, Presov, Kosice, (R2/R7 route), Banska Bystrica and region, Nitra, Trnava and back to Bratislava. I have a good idea of where I need to go already, from the thread details, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of where to visit, then let me know.

Regards to all!
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #578
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGJ View Post
Hi everyone!

You have all created a great resource on Slovak motorways, which has proved very useful in planning my current holiday - taking my car to Bratislava, then a few days driving around Slovakia on a quick sightseeing mission. Many thanks indeed!

I am hoping to travel along all open D and R roads during my 3-day trip: roughly speaking, the route is Zilina, Skalite and back, Poprad, Presov, Kosice, (R2/R7 route), Banska Bystrica and region, Nitra, Trnava and back to Bratislava. I have a good idea of where I need to go already, from the thread details, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of where to visit, then let me know.

Regards to all!
Something like this?

Well, it sounds interesting. I always wanted to take similar Tour de Slovakia. You will see almost all built sections of motorways and expressways except D2 (but D2 outside Bratislava is boring) and you will drive about 1,000 km. But, I recommend you to stop in some towns and cities along your route. There's a lot to see. Three days may be a bit short time if you want to see more than just roads. And don't forget to take many photos.

BTW, don't try to drive on R7. There is not a single metre built.

Last edited by Qwert; April 24th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #579
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

Qwert,

Many thanks! That's pretty much the route I had in mind.

I agree that it's not much time but it should still be just about enough to enjoy the trip (as opposed to rushing through everywhere).

It's interesting to see on that map scale that the Kosice-Bratislava route via Budapest doesn't seem to be much longer than the journey via Zvolen, and I think previous posts have confirmed that it would be a quicker journey. Maybe that could be a road trip in the future.....

Just one question: does the R6 exist at all yet? Maps and references that I've looked at seem to disagree on the status of the road near Puchov.
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #580
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGJ View Post

Qwert,

Many thanks! That's pretty much the route I had in mind.

I agree that it's not much time but it should still be just about enough to enjoy the trip (as opposed to rushing through everywhere).

It's interesting to see on that map scale that the Kosice-Bratislava route via Budapest doesn't seem to be much longer than the journey via Zvolen, and I think previous posts have confirmed that it would be a quicker journey. Maybe that could be a road trip in the future.....

Just one question: does the R6 exist at all yet? Maps and references that I've looked at seem to disagree on the status of the road near Puchov.
Košice - Bratislava is via Zvolen about 60 km less than via Budapest. Via Žilina it's almost the same distance as via Budapest. It would be interesting option when Hungarians finish their M31, but also construction of D1 is accelerating.

R6 exists. But only short 2x1 section between D1 and Púchov. Google Maps show it as I/49 dunno why.

Here is better map:

Tags
motorways