daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #581
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
It would be interesting option when Hungarians finish their M31...
its U/C, scheduled completion date: 05.2010.

this will reduce the distance between M3-M1 by 14km...
(another 4km reduction will be achived by the 51-M5 shortcut of M0... (s.c.d:2011)
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #582
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
its U/C, scheduled completion date: 05.2010.

this will reduce the distance between M3-M1 by 14km...
(another 4km reduction will be achived by the 51-M5 shortcut of M0... (s.c.d:2011)
I have a feeling he meant M30.

Qwert,youshould post that vid you guys posed in your section,where the 3 routes were tested. Though that's incorrect now with M0 done until M3...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #583
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I have a feeling he meant M30...
maybe...

but M30 continuation wont do much difference now: the mainroad 3 is a peace of cake: nice alignment, low traffic, and only few village-crossings...

Last edited by H123Laci; April 25th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #584
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I have a feeling he meant M30.

Qwert,youshould post that vid you guys posed in your section,where the 3 routes were tested. Though that's incorrect now with M0 done until M3...
No, I meant M31. But, M30 wouldn't be bad too.

I think this is the video (but, it's in Slovak):

The shortest and the fastest option is Bratislava - Zvolen - Košice, than Bratislava - Budapest - Košice and the slowest is Bratislava - Žilina - Košice:

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #585
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGJ View Post
Hi everyone!

You have all created a great resource on Slovak motorways, which has proved very useful in planning my current holiday - taking my car to Bratislava, then a few days driving around Slovakia on a quick sightseeing mission. Many thanks indeed!

I am hoping to travel along all open D and R roads during my 3-day trip: roughly speaking, the route is Zilina, Skalite and back, Poprad, Presov, Kosice, (R2/R7 route), Banska Bystrica and region, Nitra, Trnava and back to Bratislava. I have a good idea of where I need to go already, from the thread details, but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of where to visit, then let me know.

Regards to all!
Hi SGJ and thanks for the interest in our country.
On D1 to Zilina is worth to see and drive Trencin bypass, where is a nice view on the Váh valley, Trencin town and the castle. Another scenic parts are Ladce-Sverepec and D3 before Zilina, on both you can a lot of briodges and estacades. A short stop at Zilina could be nice, town is really worth visit. North from Zilina, on D3 route is Oscadnica, which is now quite a good touristic resort /cable lifts, big skiing resort, folk architecture.../ there I would recommend to take accommodation. Next day on the northern D1 is maybe good to drvive in eraly morning hours, otherwise you can expect traffic jams on the section Zilina-Martin-Ruzomberok. Motorway construction on this section is however, the question of weeks, or months. All northern D1 is a scenic one, you can enjoy the valleys, hills, rock cliffs, estacades, so I would recommend to take your time and not to pass it too fast. You can have a break in High Tatras, if you are more at hiking touristic, or continue all along to Kosice, if you are more at town touristic. After overnight and taking the southern R2-R1 route is worth a stop at Banská Bystrica and a meal on a beautiful town square. Then evening Bratislava could be of course worth to stay.

IMO three days time it´s just too short, but if you want to test our highways and see some of the best, then it´s a suggestion.

From the interesting enginnering works are worth, to name just two:

Estacade Podtureň:

image hosted on flickr

Branisko tunnel:

The construction of remaining sections on D1 is, however, taking a fast pace. If you drive in two and three years from now, you will see more and more enginnering works, which are suitable for our mostly mountaineous landscape.

And, well, the video about Bratislava-Košice route is already outdated, because from that time another two sections of D1 have been opened and this year and next two years with further tenths of kms of new sections in three years time we will have the motorway crossing all countrys most important touristic centers and industrial regions.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #586
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

Timoth12,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! Interesting stuff.

I'm beginning to agree that 3 days is too short, but this trip is part of a 2-week European drive and I have to leave Slovakia on Tuesday. I'm overnight in Poprad tomorrow, BB on Sunday and back to BA on Monday.

As long as my company keeps its office in BA, I'll hopefully get the chance to do the trip again when most of D1 has been completed. Fingers crossed...

I'm quite envious of countries that are actively improving their transport networks, because in the UK, it's very difficult now to build or improve our roads. The current theme seems to be "management of traffic levels" by various unpleasant means...
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #587
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
Hi SGJ and thanks for the interest in our country.
On D1 to Zilina is worth to see and drive Trencin bypass, where is a nice view on the Váh valley, Trencin town and the castle. Another scenic parts are Ladce-Sverepec and D3 before Zilina, on both you can a lot of briodges and estacades. A short stop at Zilina could be nice, town is really worth visit. North from Zilina, on D3 route is Oscadnica, which is now quite a good touristic resort /cable lifts, big skiing resort, folk architecture.../ there I would recommend to take accommodation. Next day on the northern D1 is maybe good to drvive in eraly morning hours, otherwise you can expect traffic jams on the section Zilina-Martin-Ruzomberok. Motorway construction on this section is however, the question of weeks, or months. All northern D1 is a scenic one, you can enjoy the valleys, hills, rock cliffs, estacades, so I would recommend to take your time and not to pass it too fast. You can have a break in High Tatras, if you are more at hiking touristic, or continue all along to Kosice, if you are more at town touristic. After overnight and taking the southern R2-R1 route is worth a stop at Banská Bystrica and a meal on a beautiful town square. Then evening Bratislava could be of course worth to stay.

IMO three days time it´s just too short, but if you want to test our highways and see some of the best, then it´s a suggestion.
I would prefer to stay in Trenčín instead of Žilina (and not only on motorway resting place). He should also visit region of Spiš - High Tatras, Levoča and Spiš castle.

Trečín:

Levoča:

Spiš castle:

It seems this thread is turning into tourist agency.
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #588
Timoth12

SGJ,

I hope your company will stay with the office in BA, if not, take a chance to make summer, or winter holiday here. As for the stops on your trip, I would basically choose the same ones.

And, you know, plans for the highways/motorways in SVK and CZE has been elaborated in early 30ies with the construction start later on, then commies stopped it completely in 1950 for almost 20 years. So still we are just catching up the level, that UK reached let´s say 15 years ago. Next two or three years will be crucial for our motorway development, but after this period we can say that we have basic network completed.
Also you have still relatively good number of 6 and more lanes of highways and motorways, well developed railways and airports as well as huge investment programme for the Olympics.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #589
Qwert

R3 Bypass of Trstená

So it's time to post some photos of the development.

This 7.2 km long bypass close to the Polish border is being built as 2x1 expressway. It should be finished in September 2011.

Maps:

And the photos:

The photos and the first map is from www.highways.sk. The second map is from www.ndsas.sk.

Last edited by Qwert; April 25th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #590
mati162c

Likes (Received): 0

is there a space to widen it to 2x2???
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #591
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati162c View Post
is there a space to widen it to 2x2???
No, earthworks are done only for 2x1. Northern R3 probably won't be upgraded on 2x2 for like next 30 years so it's not necessary. In case of this section upgrade on 2x2 won't be so difficult. It could be, however, problem on some parts of already built bypass of Oravský Podzámok:

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM   #592
Qwert

D1 Svinia - Prešov West

Photos of D1 near Prešov from www.dialnice.info

Interchange Prešov West (or Prešov Vydumanec) will be quite interesting:

Map from: www.presovske.info
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM   #593
Qwert

Interesting photos where you can see some Bratislava motorways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurahura View Post

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #594
Timoth12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Interestingly, section in the near of Prešov is less advanced, than section closer to Branisko tunnel. It´ll be nice section of motorway anyway, I like how the designer proposed the walls, embracing the motorway cutting. Let´s hope in November it will be opened as planned.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #595
Qwert

D1 Bratislava - Trnava Upgrade

Current situation: Green median is being rebuilt into concrete one:

Source: http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=5965
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #596
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

why? green is better. strumatization?
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

To make room for the 2x3 lanes. The shoulder along is probably not wide enough to accomodate a full lane width.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #598
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
why? green is better. strumatization?
To make room for the 2x3 lanes and I believe it has to do something with road safety if is there accident on one side to block cars cross onto other side of highway and maybe night safety no light of oppsite cars will light into drivers faces..
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #599
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek.kvackaj View Post
To make room for the 2x3 lanes and I believe it has to do something with road safety if is there accident on one side to block cars cross onto other side of highway and maybe night safety no light of oppsite cars will light into drivers faces..
There is possibility to redirect traffic into opposite direction on motorways with green median too. There are short sections of median with asphalt surface and jersey barriers to allow that. But, the reason is really safety. Concrete median doesn't require regular maintenance as the current green one (cutting grass and bushes) which can be pretty dangerous especially on busy sections. It will be, of course, partially used to get additional width for driving lanes on the temporarily upgraded "motorway" as well.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #600
Timoth12

Construction of PPP first package is a question of weeks, hopefully. The track of some sections is already marked by bars. Photos from Jánovce-Jablonov /Levoča bypass/section:

Black circles indicate future motorway:

First construction picture from the 2nd PPP packet, section Beladice-Hronský Bëňadik, just cutting the trees and some small earth works:

Source:www.dialnice.info

Last edited by Timoth12; May 25th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

Tags
motorways