daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #641
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
I just thought about this new signage... is Slovakia prepairing for Osterreicher Kaisertuem ?
Never again!
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #642
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

That's great someone from Slovakian road authorities heard about my idea and decided to apply it in reality
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #643
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

On www.ssc.sk there is a nice section, grade intersections and interesting road junctions. In whole Slovakia there are quite a few, of course on motorways and expressways, but also on national and other roads. I just wanted to share some of them

D1 three /four/ interchange at Prístavný most /Harbor bridge/, motorway plus two national roads and railway; D2-D4 crossing near Jarovce:

Larger image Larger image

Rondabout above D1 motorway near Liptovský Mikuláš; Dubnica diamond type

Typical cloverleaf at Košice bypass; at Furča crossing note the exits are close to each other:

Bratislava Incheba crossing at D1; R1 Banská Bystrica

Last edited by Timoth12; June 11th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #644
Timoth12

Northern D1 Liptovský Peter; Two hearts crossing of urban roads in Prešov

Crossing above R1 in Banská Bystrica, to the shopping center area leads just the expressway feeder, not the expressway itself; R1 Nová Baňa crossing

D1 Beckov interchange; D1 Východná one way exit

Again full cloverleaf, R1-D1 crossing near Trnava; "Rondel" in Žilina, maybe interesting is that it is not regular roundabout

Last edited by Timoth12; June 9th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #645
Timoth12

Some Bratislava crossings of urban roads; urban road/motorway feeder just behind UFO bridge
[

R2 Nováky exit; Košice Prešovská-Sečovská, see the photos several pages back

D1 Trnávka exit; Urban roads in Humenné

D1-D2 crossing Bratislava; D1 Široké before Branisko tunnel

Road II/583 no grade crossing Stráňany for Mateusz ; D1 exit before Trenčín, possible full cloverleaf for D1-R2 crossing

Unusual big radius of R2 Brzotín exit; D1 near Hlohovec
[

R1 near Sielnica; expressway/national road in Nitra

Košice ring intersection; Nitra Chrenová, where I got confused during my trip

D2 Lozorno; hmm, well, and for this one I cannot recall the exact location...

Well and the rest are at SSC web and googlemaps.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #646
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

What are those maps for?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #647
Timoth12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What are those maps for?
At SSC web has been published the first /almost/ complete coverage of interchanges and some road crossings, also with some details and explanations.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #648
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
D1-D2 crossing Bratislava
I think this interchange is insufficient. You can't leave the motorway from direction Hungary, you can't go from the old border crossing neither on the motorway for Hungary nor on Bratská road, and in order to get from Žilina to the old border crossing, you have to leave the D1 motorway already right after the Harbor Bridge.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #649
Timoth12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think this interchange is insufficient. You can't leave the motorway from direction Hungary, you can't go from the old border crossing neither on the motorway for Hungary nor on Bratská road, and in order to get from Žilina to the old border crossing, you have to leave the D1 motorway already right after the Harbor Bridge.
From the Hungary direction you can leave the motorway at Jarovce /southern Petržalka/ and Incheba /northern Petržalka/. The Bratská road leads, however, to the place close to when you leave the motorway at Incheba exit, so it´s about the same. And from Žilina direction you don´t have to leave the motorway after the Harbor bridge, Incheba exit makes this.

It´s mostly the intersection of two motorways and the road above the motorway leads to the Austria crossing. In southern Bratislava there are three crossings to Austria, in northern Bratislava there is none. Therefore additional connection from D2 to the road crossing to Austria was built.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #650
Qwert

Quote:
R2 Nováky exit
Well, for now it's only common section of I/50 and I/61, but it will be reclassified on expressway R2 in the future (but I wonder where the parallel road will be built as almost entire area is undermined).

Quote:
D1 exit before Trenčín, possible full cloverleaf for D1-R2 crossing
I doubt it will become full cloverleaf. R2 is supposed to start (or end) at this place, behind this interchange it will be just 2x1 road I/50. Not to mention there is not enough space for full cloverleaf. Even now the acceleration lane for the vehicles merging from I/61 to I/50 is extremely short.

Quote:
Simple answer: Check this interchange and surroundings on Google Maps and you will see it's sufficient.

Last edited by Qwert; June 12th, 2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #651
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
From the Hungary direction you can leave the motorway at Jarovce /southern Petržalka/ and Incheba /northern Petržalka/. The Bratská road leads, however, to the place close to when you leave the motorway at Incheba exit, so it´s about the same.
I think it's rather fine to reach Petržalka, but not to reach the old border crossing. It's too much driving around IMO.

Quote:
And from Žilina direction you don´t have to leave the motorway after the Harbor bridge, Incheba exit makes this.
This is from feeder though, not D1. You have to drive the whole length of the feeder and Viedeňská Road to reach the border crossing.

Quote:
It´s mostly the intersection of two motorways and the road above the motorway leads to the Austria crossing. In southern Bratislava there are three crossings to Austria, in northern Bratislava there is none. Therefore additional connection from D2 to the road crossing to Austria was built.
Only from direction Brno though. I'm surprised southern Petržalka isn't better connected (shorter distance) to the old border crossing, which used to be much more important until recently.

Are there plans to further upgrade the interchange?

Last edited by Verso; June 12th, 2009 at 02:05 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #652
Timoth12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Well, for now it's only common section of I/50 and I/61, but it will be reclassified on expressway R2 in the future (but I wonder where the parallel road will be built as almost entire area is undermined).
That is what e.g. wikipedia says, Opened sections are currently signed as a national road 50. In other highways sources, dialnice.info, programypc.sk the section Nováky-Prievidza is assigned as expressway. As far as I know, the only problem is a parallel road here.

Quote:
I doubt it will become full cloverleaf. R2 is supposed to start (or end) at this place, behind this interchange it will be just 2x1 road I/50. Not to mention there is not enough space for full cloverleaf. Even now the acceleration lane for the vehicles merging from I/61 to I/50 is extremely short.
Well, clearly, the upper section of Chocholná-Velčice exit should undergo reconstruction if full cloverleaf will be built. I/50 south from interchange will be R2, north from interchange IMHO as well.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #653
Qwert

Quote:
That is what e.g. wikipedia says, Opened sections are currently signed as a national road 50. In other highways sources, dialnice.info, programypc.sk the section Nováky-Prievidza is assigned as expressway. As far as I know, the only problem is a parallel road here.
Well, what's written on www.highways.sk is not legally binding. This section is built as C 22.5/100 which is the same as R 22.5/100 thus technically it has the same parameters as expressway, but officially it's only first class road I/50. There is unlimited access, speed limit 90 km/h, blue signs and all the stuff like on other national roads. It will be, however, reclassified into expressway, but it has no sense to do it until more sections of R2 will be built.

Quote:
Well, clearly, the upper section of Chocholná-Velčice exit should undergo reconstruction if full cloverleaf will be built. I/50 south from interchange will be R2, north from interchange IMHO as well.
R2 as it's planned today will start on this interchange. The section between D1 and Czech border was cancelled because Czechs are not going to built adjacent expressway there. However, there should be built at least bypass of Drietoma (as first class road only of course).

There is IMO not enough space to upgrade it into full cloverleaf unless interchange of I/50 and I/61 would be demolished. But, if the designers will manage to design it I would appreciate that.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #654
Timoth12

Quote:
I think it's rather fine to reach Petržalka, but not to reach the old border crossing. It's too much driving around IMO.
Well, it depends.. if you are coming from southern D2, you can enter Austria from another Jarovce exit. But if you want to drive through Petržlaka-Berg you are right.

Quote:
This is from feeder though, not D1. You have to drive the whole length of the feeder and Viedeňská Road to reach the border crossing.
Well, from D2 you can drive on motorways D4-A6 to Austria. What you wrote is correct, but really not many drivers choose this option.

Quote:
Only from direction Brno though. I'm surprised southern Petržalka isn't better connected (shorter distance) to the old border crossing, which used to be much more important until recently.

Are there plans to further upgrade the interchange?
Southern Petržalka can use four lane urban road, then motorway feeder and road to the Berg border crossing. Or urban road and local road to Jarovce-Kittsee crossing. However, I think an interchange, connection of urban road and motorway should be built. AFAIK there are no plans for upgrade the crossing nor plans for the southern Petržalka exit. Čuňovo D2 exit is however in the planning phase.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #655
Timoth12

Quote:
Well, what's written on www.highways.sk is not legally binding. This section is built as C 22.5/100 which is the same as R 22.5/100 thus technically it has the same parameters as expressway, but officially it's only first class road I/50. There is unlimited access, speed limit 90 km/h, blue signs and all the stuff like on other national roads. It will be, however, reclassified into expressway, but it has no sense to do it until more sections of R2 will be built.
One thing is what is legally binding and another one what is let´s say general knowledge. See, I really don´t understand why this section doesn´t have official expressway status and the limit 90 km/h is really funny. It might be in official documents as national road, but argument that it is not expressway now because more R2 sections are not constructed is ludicrous.

Quote:
R2 as it's planned today will start on this interchange. The section between D1 and Czech border was cancelled because Czechs are not going to built adjacent expressway there. However, there should be built at least bypass of Drietoma (as first class road only of course).

There is IMO not enough space to upgrade it into full cloverleaf unless interchange of I/50 and I/61 would be demolished. But, if the designers will manage to design it I would appreciate that.
I know that official document about the exact location of motorways and expressways. In the latest one R2 is defined from Trenčín as you wrote. I still do believe, that another agreement will be done where second motorway connection between SK and CZ will be stated, although now the priorities are R6-R49 and R5-I/11 connections. It could be expressway, but motorway is, of course better solution. Maybe you remember the map from SME several months ago, in this was motorway Vyškov-Uherské Hradiště drawn. I try to scan it and upload it here.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #656
Qwert

Quote:
One thing is what is legally binding and another one what is let´s say general knowledge. See, I really don´t understand why this section doesn´t have official expressway status and the limit 90 km/h is really funny. It might be in official documents as national road, but argument that it is not expressway now because more R2 sections are not constructed is ludicrous.
It would be pretty bad solution to make it expressway now. There is no proper parallel road. All drivers from Prievidza district would have to buy vignette for this short section only. It would also cause problems to vehicles which cannot reach 80 km/h because such vehicles are not allowed to enter an expressway. How would they get from Prievidza to Nováky? Speed limit 90 km/h is just fine, you have to take into account there are also slow vehicles and higher speed limit would be dangerous. But, people there drive usually around 100-110 km/h and police don't fine them. Higher speed would destroy you suspension because pavement there is quite bad.

Quote:
I know that official document about the exact location of motorways and expressways. In the latest one R2 is defined from Trenčín as you wrote. I still do believe, that another agreement will be done where second motorway connection between SK and CZ will be stated, although now the priorities are R6-R49 and R5-I/11 connections. It could be expressway, but motorway is, of course better solution. Maybe you remember the map from SME several months ago, in this was motorway Vyškov-Uherské Hradiště drawn. I try to scan it and upload it here.
I hope one day there will be motorway Brno - Trenčín approximately in corridor of federal D1. It would be very important connection of Western and part of Central Slovakia with Czech Republic. Large part of Western Slovakia is "cut" from Czech Republic because both D2/D2 and future R6/R49 are detours. If it depended on me I would build this connection first and R6/R49 later.

Make sure to scan that map, please. I don't remember it.
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #657
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I made a montage of the Presov-west IC and the google satimage:

this is a direct T IC of D1 and R4 but it gives full acces to and from the local roads too... an engineering masterpiece!

strictly speaking its "only" 3 levels, but if we look at the entire IC it is 5 levels!!!

(click on images for larger versions)
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #658
Qwert

Well, this is going to be probably the most complex interchange in Slovakia. It's D1 x R4 x I/18 x II/546 . But, R4 part is not going to be built in the first phase and D1 will be terminated at this interchange for some time so we have to wait for couple of years until it will look like this.

Here is almost 3D view from www.dialnice.info

BTW, there seem to be quite some discussion about this IC on Hungarian Motorways thread in Hungarian section, but I don't understand a word.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #659
Timoth12

Well, it is better to look up for other sources first, than doing some redundant work...

And yes, Presov deserves good infrastructure, this is how the main bridge above the interchange will look like:

Old June 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #660
Qwert

Quote:
Well, it is better to look up for other sources first, than doing some redundant work...
I appreciate his effort.

Quote:
And yes, Presov deserves good infrastructure, this is how the main bridge above the interchange will look like:

I'm surprised. I've expected just ordinary overpass there, but this will look much better.

Tags
motorways