daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #741
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
It had this sign.
This sign means road for motor vehicles. It restricts access to the road thus only motor vehicles (no cyclists, agricultural vehicles and so on) can enter it. It's used also on the expressways, but it doesn't necessarily mean the road you are entering is expressway. If it was really an expressway signs would be green there, not blue. For example this is road I/68 north of Košice. At the right side of the photo on the ramp you can see the sign although it's only national road.

Quote:
Wikipedia.
Don't worry, the difference between population of Nitra and Žilina is only about 1,000 inhabitants.

Last edited by Qwert; July 15th, 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #742
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
403 Forbidden.

I know what the sign whit the car means, just when I see that sign, I take this road as a expressway. Btw, I didn't know you used green signs on expressways.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
403 Forbidden.
Yes, you can't hotlink fullsize panoramio pics
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #744
Sponsor

Quote:
If it was really an expressway signs would be green there, not blue. For example this
Interesting, I didn't know that. Could you post some picture with green [Rýchlostná cesta] sign? According to wikipedia both 'expressway' and 'motor vehicles only road' sign is the same: "Rýchlostná cesta alebo cesta pre motorové vozidlá je...".

I'm also curious why 'Diaľnica' isn't green if motorway signage in SK is green
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #745
Qwert

Quote:
403 Forbidden.

I know what the sign whit the car means, just when I see that sign, I take this road as a expressway. Btw, I didn't know you used green signs on expressways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, you can't hotlink fullsize panoramio pics
Does this work? http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3766950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that. Could you post some picture with green [Rýchlostná cesta] sign? According to wikipedia both 'expressway' and 'motor vehicles only road' sign is the same: "Rýchlostná cesta alebo cesta pre motorové vozidlá je...".

I'm also curious why 'Diaľnica' isn't green if motorway signage in SK is green
No, I meant distance sign and signs announcing interchanges were green. Sign 'road for motor vehicles' and sign 'motorway' are both obviously blue.

This is the best I've found

Blue 'motorway' sign was laready posted by RipleyLV:

And this is green sign indicating interchange on expressway R1:
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #746
RipleyLV

Quote:
Yes.
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #747
Sponsor

Is the speed limit on 'motor vehicles road' the same as on expressway?
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #748
RipleyLV

You all remember the prohibition to overtake on motorways and expressways for trucks over 7,5 t? Do you? Well, I've been a naughty boy and pictured some of the trespassers. I've spoken to Latvian and Lithuanian truck drivers that were cought and fined with 200 EUR.

These Polish snails in the front were driving at 80 km/h, which for all truckers is annoying. Do they pay attention at the speed limit sign at the border, it clearly says that trucks are allowed to drive at 90 km/h speed and not slower, so these guys must be fined too. So, Romanian overtaking:

Pole:

even the Dutch:

and Lithuanian:

So the conclusion is, that this new law sucks big time, the most stupidest thing I've ever seen, you could atleast allow to overtake during the night, like for example in Italy or Slovenia. I really hope this law is only temporary.
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #749
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Lovely pictures! So I guess there's some kind of an urban 'expressway' running through Žilina?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #750
RipleyLV

Žilina has a urban 'expressway' ringroad.
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #751
Qwert

Quote:
You all remember the prohibition to overtake on motorways and expressways for trucks over 7,5 t? Do you? Well, I've been a naughty boy and pictured some of the trespassers. I've spoken to Latvian and Lithuanian truck drivers that were cought and fined with 200 EUR.

These Polish snails in the front were driving at 80 km/h, which for all truckers is annoying. Do they pay attention at the speed limit sign at the border, it clearly says that trucks are allowed to drive at 90 km/h speed and not slower, so these guys must be fined too.

So the conclusion is, that this new law sucks big time, the most stupidest thing I've ever seen, you could atleast allow to overtake during the night, like for example in Italy or Slovenia. I really hope this law is only temporary.
I think they should modify this law. Let's say overtaking would be forbidden only during certain day time and during bad weather conditions or something like that.
And police should definitelly fine slowpokes who don't respect minimal allowed speed 80 km/h.

BTW, your route from above. The 2x2 section of I/18 is at the bottom of the photo. At the left side you can see motorway D3 stick to the hill:

Last edited by Qwert; July 16th, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #752
RipleyLV

^ Your picture doesn't show.

Quote:
I think they should modify this law. Let's say overtaking would be forbidden only during certain day time and during bad weather conditions or something like that.
I agree with that.
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #753
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Again, good work, Ripley! And I am sure you have more pictures from Slovakia driving, mostly from D1.

Quote:

I also think, that some kind of information to the drivers, especially truckers, should be distributed, the informational signs on the border might be not enough. If it is not already. Some kind of leaflet with few basic infromation, that differs from the rules e.g. in Poland and the forhibition of trucks overtaking and minimal speed should be a part of it. Truckers at least will get something for their money paid for usage of SK motorways.

New road act is not that old and modifications later on are possible.As Qwert already stated, there are some possibillities. The combination of minimal speed and forhibition of truck overtaking, is however a step towards more safety on highways in general. But more to the favor of car drivers.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #754
Verso
Islander

Ripley, are you already the driver or your dad still drives the truck?
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #755
Qwert

Quote:
^ Your picture doesn't show.
Today I have a bad day when it comes to embedding pictures. I fixed it so it should be visible now.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #756
RipleyLV

^ Oh yeah, awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Ripley, are you already the driver or your dad still drives the truck?
Nah, trucking ain't for me, though I understand all this trucking stuff very well, I just go with him just to see the world and take pictures of motorways and other roads, because I'm interested in all road stuff. I go with him almost every summer and I've been doing that since I was seven years old.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #757
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
Is the speed limit on 'motor vehicles road' the same as on expressway?
It seems we forgot to answer this question. Yes, it is in both cases 130 km/h. But in case of non-expressway motor roads it's usually limited by special sign because those roads are often not built for such high speed.

Actually, from legal point of view there is no such thing as an expressway, there are only roads, roads for motor vehicles and motorways. Some roads for motor vehicles are designated as expressways.
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #758
Sponsor

All clear, thx
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #759
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Nah, trucking ain't for me, though I understand all this trucking stuff very well, I just go with him just to see the world and take pictures of motorways and other roads, because I'm interested in all road stuff. I go with him almost every summer and I've been doing that since I was seven years old.
Cool!

Btw, what does "richlostni (silnice)" literally mean? (or however it's written, I'm really not into checking it now )
Old July 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #760
hraby

Likes (Received): 1815

RipleyLV, beautifull photos
Slovak distance signs are very nice and well - arranged. Better distance sings I've seen only in germany.
hraby no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways