daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #881
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Yeah, I was wondering....is the Slovak-Hungarian conflict still going on?
It's going on for about two centuries and it seems it will go on for at least another two centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The motorway leads southbound from Bratislava. Győr is more to the south than Budapest, which is further off around the corner. However, I do think signing Budapest is a good idea, but Győr only isn't the end of the world. At least they don't use stupid exonyms that nobody knows except their own population
In Slovakia we have different problem. Almost noone knows our exonyms, at least in case of smaller cities and towns. For example people in regular talk use Budapešť for Budapest (but this one is rather modern exonym, not so long ago [language wise] it was Pešťbudín, but except geeks like me and people educated in old Slovak literature noone knows that). But if you ask someone in Bratislava for direction to Ráb, he wouldn't know what is it. Ráb is Slovak for Györ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not a reciprocity. Budapest is good from Bratislava as there are no good alternates, while from Budapest, Wien makes more sense. They should sign Bratislava from Györ though as a secondary control city.
That's why I put smiley there. But, it should be definitelly signed at least from Györ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Better than "Budimpešta/Budapest". Oh, and also better than BRATISLAVA.

I disagree with you here. Győr is already around the corner, it's already southeast. The best destination would be Mosonmagyaróvár (which would also be good for E65 towards Zagreb), but it's too small (and has a too long name). Győr also bothers me because it's not a particularly important highway junction, just one motorway passes it by and doesn't even change its direction (southeast). But it has a shorter name indeed, especially in all caps.
Mosonmagyaróvár is too small and unimportant, not to mention it has long name. Györ is not prefect, but probably the only option, still there is also [D2] and (H) to avoid confusion.

BTW E65 isn't mentioned at those signs, there's E75 which leads from Žilina via Bratislava and Györ to Budapest etc., hence those signs are correct. E65 is signed only on D2, thus it would be good if there was signed also some E65 destination. Mosonmagyaróvár probably isn't the best option, but maybe Szombathely or even Zágreb could be interesting.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #882
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

It's also interesting why are Györ on the signs istead of Győr.

------

I was in Bratislava, (in Czechia), and I came back on D1. I can tell you, D1 is a very good motorway. The Považská Bystrica section U/C at night was very impressive. But I saw a depressive thing too on the D2: A pilice car was staying in the middle lane and before it was a dead man... And only his face was hided, I don't understand why haven't they hided the body... It wasn't a good experience...
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #883
KapZlock

Likes (Received): 0

In my opinion looks the new signage nice, but what i dislike is the sign of the airport, its just written "letisko" and without a plane or something that will help tourists.
KapZlock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #884
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falusi View Post
It's also interesting why are Györ on the signs istead of Győr.

------

I was in Bratislava, (in Czechia), and I came back on D1. I can tell you, D1 is a very good motorway. The Považská Bystrica section U/C at night was very impressive. But I saw a depressive thing too on the D2: A pilice car was staying in the middle lane and before it was a dead man... And only his face was hided, I don't understand why haven't they hided the body... It wasn't a good experience...
Their keyboard probably doesn't have that letter, just like mine. I guess font used at Slovak signage doesn't contain "ő."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapZlock View Post
In my opinion looks the new signage nice, but what i dislike is the sign of the airport, its just written "letisko" and without a plane or something that will help tourists.
It's not sign of the airport. Letisko is name of the interchage just like Vajnory or Voderady. But, IMO there could be also symbol of a plane, airport is quite important destination. But, signage system probably doesn't allow that.

However, closer to the exit airport is obviously signed also using the plane symbol:
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #885
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

You have IKEA in Slovakia? Nice I just went to IKEA (in Hengelo)
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #886
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Weird sign. It looks as if E75 leads to Brno and E571 to Komárno. E575 actually goes to Győr, but it's not as fast as E75. And where's E58 for Vienna?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #887
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Their keyboard probably doesn't have that letter, just like mine. I guess font used at Slovak signage doesn't contain "ő."
Hungarian signs contain all kinds of special foreign letters (Slavic, Romanian). There are even signs with Cyrillic text, indicating towns in Ukraine

I think the biggest advantage of the new signage is that motorway numbers appear correctly ("D2" instead of simply "2")
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #888
Verso
Islander

I get ˝ (as in 'ő') by pressing Alt Gr and 0 (zero).
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

’’''"
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #890
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
You have IKEA in Slovakia? Nice I just went to IKEA (in Hengelo)
There was already discussion about Ikea in Slovakia and absence of Ikea in Slovenia few pages above: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...a#post39129800

Verso seemed to be quite envious.

Quote:
Weird sign. It looks as if E75 leads to Brno and E571 to Komárno. E575 actually goes to Győr, but it's not as fast as E75. And where's E58 for Vienna?
Those cities are ordered according to their distance from Bratislava, E roads are ordered in numerical order. At new signage E roads are ordered according to their importance, e.g. E75, E58, E571, in both cases they don't fully correspond with cities. There is for example Brno, but noone of those E roads leads to Brno. Thus you can follow E roads or you can follow destinations, but you cannot always follow both at the same time.

E575 goes to Győr, but it would be quite confusing to write Győr two times there. Overwhelming majority of drivers drives to Győr using E75 and IMO this E road is obsolete. Signing Komárno there is much better and it respects also route of national road I/63 which leads from Bratislava via Komárno to Štúrovo.

This way it's much better than useless signing of Győr :

Absence of E58 is indeed quite weird. It's signed before this section as you can see at the photos of new signage above, it's also signed after this section as you can see bellow. To be honest I didn't notice it before since I pretty much ignore E numbers. Maybe when those signs were placed there E58 ended/started in Bratislava and only latter it was moved to Vienna.

Opposite direction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Hungarian signs contain all kinds of special foreign letters (Slavic, Romanian). There are even signs with Cyrillic text, indicating towns in Ukraine

I think the biggest advantage of the new signage is that motorway numbers appear correctly ("D2" instead of simply "2")
Maybe also Slovak font has ő and the problem is those signs were designed by an ingorant. It reminds me sign which contain Miškolc in Košice:

Quote:
I get ˝ (as in 'ő') by pressing Alt Gr and 0 (zero).
Thank you, now I discovered also my keyboard is able to write it őőő
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #891
Verso
Islander

Quote:
ő
Cool hairstyle. Oh, and IKEA sucks.
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #892
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Only because they're not in Slovenia?

Hmm, I only get ó
Old October 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #893
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

áéíóöőúüű
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #894
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Miškolc
AKAIK the Slovakian name of Miskolc is Miškovec or something like that so Miškolc is some hybrid version At least it is not that confusing. I also remember seeing a sign in Stúrovo indicating Budapešt' or something like that...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #895
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
áéíóöőúüű
á ä é í ý ó ô ú ď ť ň ľ ĺ ŕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Miškolc
AKAIK the Slovakian name of Miskolc is Miškovec or something like that so Miškolc is some hybrid version At least it is not that confusing. I also remember seeing a sign in Stúrovo indicating Budapešt' or something like that...
Yes, it's Miškovec.

There are no signs for Budapest in Štúrovo. There's only signed Esztergom. I remember quite messy sign there (probably the only dual sign in Slovakia). It looks approximately like this:

Nové Zámky
Ostrihom - Esztergom
Esztergom Clo-Zoll
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #896
Verso
Islander

The only time I was in Esztergom, there was no bridge to Štúrovo.
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #897
Qwert

Quote:
The only time I was in Esztergom, there was no bridge to Štúrovo.
There was a ferry.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #898
Qwert

D2 x D4 Stupava South

Few shots of U/C interchange near Bratislava:

Source: www.dialnice.info
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #899
Qwert

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer

Photos taken from one of the apartment buildings:

These are from car:

Source: www.dialnice.info
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #900
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

That's a pretty spectacular alignment there, high above the city.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways