daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #901
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

These are better pics, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau-chin View Post
neviem ci uz su tieto fotky niekde na fore, alebo na dialniciach, ale dosiel mi mail s takymito fotkami uzastne !!

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #902
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I'm still amazed, that something that big was allowed to be built in the middle of the city. I know that other solutions would be even more expensive, but considering impact onto cityscape that sort of alignment would probably be rejected almost everywhere in Europe.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #903
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

I thought those photos were already posted somewhere in this thread, but I'm too lazy to check it so if they weren't I apologize for not posting them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I'm still amazed, that something that big was allowed to be built in the middle of the city. I know that other solutions would be even more expensive, but considering impact onto cityscape that sort of alignment would probably be rejected almost everywhere in Europe.
Come on, Považská Bystrica has no cityscape. It's just bunch of commieblocks in the middle of mountains. This is not the only case when motorway is built above inhabited area:

D1 in Bratislava:

I/59 in Banská Bystrica:

Viaduct Podtureň:

But, Považská Bystrica is special case anyway. In the beginning the motorway above the town was obviously refused. IMO "more expensive" variants bypassing the town using tunnels would be after all cheaper since it would be possible to avoid resistance and built the motorway much sooner. On the other hand, I don't think the motorway above the city would negatively affect life there.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #904
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 395

I, personally, love these structures and would love having one near my house, but I must agree with keber - I can hardly imagine this being approved somewhere else in Europe! Slovakians must really be pro-roads, which is great, of course.
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #905
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
I, personally, love these structures
Hear hear.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #906
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

c'mon, have you ever been to italy?...
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #907
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
I, personally, love these structures and would love having one near my house, but I must agree with keber - I can hardly imagine this being approved somewhere else in Europe! Slovakians must really be pro-roads, which is great, of course.
Well, the motorway is above built-up area for less then 400 meters. And it's not in the centre of the town, it's rather between the centre and peripheral residential and industrial quarters. Nevertheless, I don't think this the only such case in Europe. Map by Google: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...489dfac3aebbc9

Map from www.highways.sk

Here you can download .kmz file which will allow you to explore Považská Bystrica with the bridge in Google Earth. More information about this project (in Slovak): http://virtualna.povazska.com/index.php?zobraz=objekty

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #908
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
c'mon, have you ever been to italy?...
Those were built in a different time/mindsetting. Building a significant viaduct above a town of this size is really rare these days.

I think the inhabitants of Považská Bystrica rather have a viaduct than a congested center with all through traffic. After all, acoustically seen, the noise of an elevated motorway is similar to a depressed motorway; lower than a motorway at ground level.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #909
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
There was a case just in Hungary too in a similar way, but it was refused.
There should have been a motorway right through a little town. They chose a different way too build the motorway, took a decade and a + millions of euros to get the agreement/build the motorway-section, and it is on M7 the Köröshegy-viaduct.
The little town is Balatonföldvár.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #910
i15

Likes (Received): 609

I took some pictures of Köröshegy viaduct in summer:

http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=6478
http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=6477

Is it the longest viaduct in central Europe? What is the length of Povazska Bystrica's viaduct, by the way? I couldn't google that...
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #911
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
I took some pictures of Köröshegy viaduct in summer:

http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=6478
http://www.dialnice.info/album_page.php?pic_id=6477

Is it the longest viaduct in central Europe? What is the length of Povazska Bystrica's viaduct, by the way? I couldn't google that...
So called Town Bridge (bridge nr. 206) is 968.58 m long. Whole elevated section which includes also viaduct above flooding area of river Váh is 3,080 m long. The highest pillar is 33 m tall.

Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #912
Qwert

D1 Bratislava - Trnava upgrade

Three lanes are already in use between Bratislava and Senec in direction to Bratislava. Entire D1 between Bratislava and Trnava will be 2x3 in about two weeks.

Video:

Source of the video: http://tvnoviny.sk/spravy/ekonomika/...vou.html#video

This is original alignment of the motorway:

Now the motorway is in temporary 2x3 alignment without hard shoulder. Final alignment (2x3 + shoulders + space reserve for 2x4 + collectors) will look like this:
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #913
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice, what's the AADT here?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:32 PM   #914
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice, what's the AADT here?
Who knows. In 2005 there was more than 50,000 vehicles a day, now it's probably much more. Next traffic count will be next year.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #915
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
Next traffic count will be next year.
Hmm, that's old fashion. Busy motorways require 24/7 monitoring/counting.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #916
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmm, that's old fashion. Busy motorways require 24/7 monitoring/counting.
Newer sections of the motorways have information system which probably provides also traffic data (although these are not published), but this stretch is 34 years old. The complex upgrade which will take place within few years will contain also addition of information system to entire Bratislava - Trnava section.

Interesting information about traffic flow (especially about trucks) may be provided also be electronic toll system which is going to be introduced since 1st January 2010.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM   #917
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, you need to close down the motorway one night to cut the induction loops into the pavement, et voila, you have a 24/7 monitoring possibility.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #918
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, you need to close down the motorway one night to cut the induction loops into the pavement, et voila, you have a 24/7 monitoring possibility.
Yes, but IMO it has no sense if the motorway is basically going to demolished and again built, because this is what will happen to his section.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #919
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Induction loops are extremely cheap. Here every traffic light intersection has few of them. And more or less every motorway section, old or new. Cost of such traffic count on two or three sections is negligible comparing to advantages even if just for few years.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #920
Qwert

Quote:
Induction loops are extremely cheap. Here every traffic light intersection has few of them. And more or less every motorway section, old or new. Cost of such traffic count on two or three sections is negligible comparing to advantages even if just for few years.
I think they are in use also in Slovakia, but not at D1 between Bratislava and Trnava.

Tags
motorways