daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #941
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer

New photos of U/C motorway in Považská Bystrica from www.dialnice.info

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #942
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Oh, again those colourful fences?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #943
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I like it. The Slovaks know what aesthetics are. Better than some rusty guardrail.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #944
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

The new signage looks good, much better than the old one.

So what's the logic behind the new system - you now use all-caps letters only for the cities lying on the motorway? And what about regular, non-motorway signs?
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #945
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Oh, again those colourful fences?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like it. The Slovaks know what aesthetics are. Better than some rusty guardrail.
All bridges have colour depending on to which local Centre of Motorway Administration and Maintenance they belong. However, this applies only to newer sections since 1990's. There are various colours and except pink under Tatras I like them. Fences in Bratislava are without colour (I mean they have just colour of metal they are made of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
The new signage looks good, much better than the old one.

So what's the logic behind the new system - you now use all-caps letters only for the cities lying on the motorway? And what about regular, non-motorway signs?
Small letters are used in name of the interchange (which is usually named after nearby town or village). In all other cases capital letters are used. Since interchange at non-motorway/expressway roads aren't named signage there uses only caps. Probably except a case when it's an interchange of motorway/expressway and some other road. In this case there could be a sign with the name of the interchange including small letters on that road. But, I haven't seen it, new signage is in use for just a few months.

Last edited by Qwert; November 17th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #946
Qwert

New signage at interchange Trnava (D1 x R1)

Source: www.dialnice.info

This may be interesting. Here you can see more new signage now finally from interchange of motorway and expressway (it's cloverleaf BTW). This interchange is also the place where 2x3 section of D1 ends (or starts if you are driving to Bratislava). You can see small letters are used also when signing resting place (odpočívadlo).

Sign announcing resting place Zeleneč and distances to the closest gas stations behind the resting place (real geeks already discovered those distances are wrong):

First sign notifying you that you are approaching interchange Trnava:

Somehow I don't like this sign:

You can see according to new law there are horizontal arrows also on motorways (and expressways):

Let's go to Trnava!:
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #947
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I didn't know that Shell was also in Slovakia - maybe because I had too much beer
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #948
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Is that free advertisement?

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #949
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I didn't know that Shell was also in Slovakia - maybe because I had too much beer
I also buy sometimes alcohol at local Shell station (when everything else is closed), but it's hell expensive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post

Well, they inform about all nearby gas stations. It would be advertisement if they informed let's say only about Shell. IMO it's quite useful. If some driver continue after the interchange on D1 and he has some Shell fidelity bonus he will fill his tank there and he won't waste money at Slovnaft. On the other hand, every gas station in Slovakia is supplied by Slovnaft so majority of revenues goes there no matter where you fill your tank.
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #950
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post

Yes, it's free. Let's say that this is some kind of "german style"..
http://www.autobahn-bilder.de/images...Bild%20217.jpg
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #951
Juraj9

Likes (Received): 47

Ta dialnica cez Povazsku vyzrera velmi dobre... nemate niekto zdroj kde mozem pozerat aj starsie fotky?? viem ze to tu dakto postol
Juraj9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #952
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for sharing those D1/R1 sign pics. I'm wondering about a few things that probably the frequent posters here could help me with:

1. My Collins atlas numbers that interchange as #50 of D1, Yahoo Maps (NAVTEQ) and my Frommers atlas say #54, and the sign pics show no interchange number. Who's right? Are posted interchange numbers no longer in use, or is this an exception?

2. How far northwestward does R1 go?

3. Are all of the completed pieces of expressways signed with an R number like R1 is, or are some signed with the class I number (no R) because they are too short/incomplete?
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #953
Nido

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juraj9 View Post
Ta dialnica cez Povazsku vyzrera velmi dobre... nemate niekto zdroj kde mozem pozerat aj starsie fotky?? viem ze to tu dakto postol
no galeriu najdes napriklad na stranke sverepec-vrtizer.sk,
pripadne: http://www.dialnice.info/album_cat.php?cat_id=121
Nido no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #954
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by treichard View Post
Thanks for sharing those D1/R1 sign pics. I'm wondering about a few things that probably the frequent posters here could help me with:

1. My Collins atlas numbers that interchange as #50 of D1, Yahoo Maps (NAVTEQ) and my Frommers atlas say #54, and the sign pics show no interchange number. Who's right? Are posted interchange numbers no longer in use, or is this an exception?
Interchange Trnava has number, but it wasn't yet installed. I don't if it's 50 or 54 though. In case of expressway R1 they will install them probably soon.

Here is e.g. sign from recently opened section of R3:

Quote:
2. How far northwestward does R1 go?
R1 is either U/C or built all the way from Trnava to Banská Bystrica. This is the latest map showing motorways and expressways in Slovakia which includes also R1:

Quote:
3. Are all of the completed pieces of expressways signed with an R number like R1 is, or are some signed with the class I number (no R) because they are too short/incomplete?
There's only one short (the newest one) stretch singed as R1. Other sections are signed only using E numbers:

Signage should be changed until 2012. At some maps you can find R1 signed as national road. In case of R1 it's quite messy because it consists of many roads: I/51, I/65, I/50 and I/66. This will hopefully disappear when new maps with just R1 will be released. It's because some time ago there officially wasn't road category expressway and all expys were just national roads.

New stretches of expressways have expressway number, old ones have usually only E number some are even signed as national road (with blue signs).

Last edited by Qwert; November 21st, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM   #955
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

From the map then, R1 might end at the 2nd interchange north of D1 where I/51 turns to the northeast?

In Banská Bystrica, which R1 interchange is the last one of the completed section? It's not clear on Google or Yahoo Maps.

Not putting Rs on the guide signs for a few more years? Well, I guess there's no hurry for putting a continuous number on a discontinuous expressway until it's closer to being completed.
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM   #956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Aren't there plans to complete R1 all the way to Ružomberok?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM   #957
Qwert

Quote:
From the map then, R1 might end at the 2nd interchange north of D1 where I/51 turns to the northeast?
For now R1 will end at that place, but in the future it will be rerouted and it will end/start at interchange with D4 (Bratislava outer ring). But, that's matter of years.

Blue line north of R7 (Rýchlostná cesta vo výhľade) will be future R1:

Quote:
In Banská Bystrica, which R1 interchange is the last one of the completed section? It's not clear on Google or Yahoo Maps.
This is again difficult to say. Legal mess (no official recognising of expressway road category) caused it's not clear. IMO it could be considered expressway up to this place: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...04823&t=k&z=18 Northern from this point in it's IMO just 2x2 national road. But, it's possible it will be signed as R1 also northern from this point up to the end of U/C northern bypass of Banská Bystrica which is in official documents called I/66 R1. We just have to wait for new signage and completion of the northern bypass.

Quote:
Not putting Rs on the guide signs for a few more years? Well, I guess there's no hurry for putting a continuous number on a discontinuous expressway until it's closer to being completed.
Except R1 there's only few short sections of expressways which are mostly 2x1. But, those stretches have expressway number. There are also national roads which will be probably in the future converted into an expressway by adding second carriageway (e.g. some sections of I/50 or I/65).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Aren't there plans to complete R1 all the way to Ružomberok?
There are such plans, but it's just political crap (our current minister of Transportation is from Banská Bystrica) and way how to waste money on studies. That road will be very probably never build and I guess in few years it will even disappear from the official plans. It's simply too expensive - kilometres of tunnels and bridges (it starts in attitude about 400 m above the sea level and it has to pass through 1,200 m high mountains), it would brutally damage the nature and important water resources (damn, it's in the middle of National park Low Tatras). Not to mention that even such expensive construction wouldn't be enough to meet criteria for expressway.

Instead of this there will be built expressway R3 as main north-south connection in Central Slovakia, also road I/59 (mountain pass Donovaly) was and will be improved. R3 and improved I/59 could easily handle the traffic without insane damage to the nature.

Last edited by Qwert; November 21st, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #958
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Chorvátsky Grob.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #959
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Megapolis