daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1341
DrX

Likes (Received): 0

To give you a better idea about how a country governed by nationalists operates, here's an update from yesterday's Slovak parliament. They passed a Slovak-National-Party proposed bill that forces all the public schools and universities to play national anthem every Monday (details here; note however, that the article is not completely correct: the kids won't HAVE TO sing the anthem every week, they just will have to listen to it...).

Similarly, a couple of years ago a language law was passed that prohibited any radio/tv station from broadcasting in Slovakia in any other language than in Slovak. Thus, for example, BBC had to shut down the three transmitters it had in Bratislava, Kosice, and Banska Bystrica, that used to rebroadcast their WorldService programming. Similarly, Radio Tatras International (rti.fm), a Poprad-based station that mixed Slovak and English programing, had to shut down.

Of course, the real reason for all of this is to suppress the minorities in Slovakia - i.e., the same reason for which we are not building any highways in the south where the minorities are concentrated (even though, there the strategy is to "starve" them rather than to directly "shut them down"). Who would have guessed that we are in Europe in the 21st century??? But, I'm sure QWERT has a better explanation about how this is a completely normal behavior of a completely normal country...
DrX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1342
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Junction Vrtižer - on sign is written that the motorway will be in use in may 2010 (24/3.5?)
I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbh View Post
Qwert, this is not a correct answer, it´s a "half answer". road near kosice is OK, but similar road is zilina - cadca.
Yes, those roads are similar, but there's one quite important difference: Traffic on I/11 is more than two times bigger than the traffic on I/50 west of Košice. While I/50 has still plenty of spare capacity in case of I/11 it was already exceeded.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1343
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

R1 Žarnovica - Šášovské Podhradie (2nd part)

Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1344
SureThing_II

Likes (Received): 154

wow, little copy of bridge above Povazska Bystrica!
SureThing_II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #1345
gmbh

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Yes, those roads are similar, but there's one quite important difference: Traffic on I/11 is more than two times bigger than the traffic on I/50 west of Košice. While I/50 has still plenty of spare capacity in case of I/11 it was already exceeded.
we can return to the basic question, I think we cannot speak about exceeded capacity, because intensity and capacity was similar/identical. at the time is it probably true, but the capacity is exceeded only slightly and the comfort of driving is always above slovak standard.
gmbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1346
Qwert

Quote:
we can return to the basic question, I think we cannot speak about exceeded capacity, because intensity and capacity was similar/identical. at the time is it probably true, but the capacity is exceeded only slightly and the comfort of driving is always above slovak standard.
For me question is: Why you speak about I/11? We were talking about D1 and R2, I/11 is totally different road. (For foreigners: I/11 is road from Žilina to Czech Republic parallel to future D3.)

Anyway, regular traffic jams are not acceptable even on Slovak standards and that's what's happening on I/11 which capacity is by far not only a bit exceeded.
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #1347
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

I guess this is the most appropriate place to post this.

The D3 near the Polish border is highlighted as under construction on the above map. And Quest posted a satellite picture of the border area with, what I'm assuming, is the D3. Does anyone know the completion date for this section? Because for the moment, it creates an overpass over a local road which won't allow larger trucks to pass through, thus making the S69 pretty much useless for truck traffic. English wikipedia is pretty much useless (the completion date they list is January 2006), but the Polish version lists 2013 as the date of completion. Is this actual or just another wikipedia "mistake?" I would appreciate any answers.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1348
Qwert

I've already replied in Polish thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...postcount=4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
If you mean that underpass it's not part of D3, it's railway. You can see D3 behind it.

The Skalité - PL border section is basically finished, but there's only few metres in use, then you must leave the motorway and continue on the II/487. Problem is section Skalité - PL border ends in the middle of meadow and it's useless (unless you drive a tractor) without adjacent section Svrčinovec - Skalité which construction hasn't started yet. These two sections will be opened simultaneously, it should be before 2015, but I don't know when exactly.
BTW, in Slovakia section Svrčinovec - Skalité is also in plans for 2007-2013 period, which means the deadline for its completion is 2015, but seeing is believing.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1349
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Yea, I posted that in the Polish thread before thinking because I should have just posted it here, which is why I did. My apologies for being confusing. :p

And next time I take my tractor out for a spin, I'll make sure to make good use of the Skalite - PL border section.

Thanks for the answer!

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1350
gmbh

Likes (Received): 3

on I/11 is one problematical crossing near KM and that´s all. traffic jams ? what are you talking about ?
gmbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1351
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
Yea, I posted that in the Polish thread before thinking because I should have just posted it here, which is why I did. My apologies for being confusing. :p

And next time I take my tractor out for a spin, I'll make sure to make good use of the Skalite - PL border section.

Thanks for the answer!
You're welcome!

Quote:
on I/11 is one problematical crossing near KM and that´s all. traffic jams ? what are you talking about ?
I'm afraid you have never driven on I/11 so this debate is pointless.
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1352
Qwert

D1 Jablonov - Studenec

What about some construction update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brezo View Post

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #1353
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Wow, I am just recognised that bridge is made of steel. This is probably breakthrough of this evening.

nice to see beautifle new bridges on our motorways

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:31 AM   #1354
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Wow, I am just recognised that bridge is made of steel. This is probably breakthrough of this evening.

nice to see beautifle new bridges on our motorways
Steel arches are a surprising choice for this location. I'm a concrete box girder fetishist , but this'll be an interesting and beautiful change of pace, sure to become a landmark.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1355
RTI

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
Similarly, a couple of years ago a language law was passed that prohibited any radio/tv station from broadcasting in Slovakia in any other language than in Slovak. Thus, for example, BBC had to shut down the three transmitters it had in Bratislava, Kosice, and Banska Bystrica, that used to rebroadcast their WorldService programming. Similarly, Radio Tatras International (rti.fm), a Poprad-based station that mixed Slovak and English programing, had to shut down.
Hi All

Just to clarify things, the law used to bring down RTI was a very old one. However, if the regulator says yes you launch.
The BBC, I know as a I worked there, had a number of issues, the biggest one being they are..........
The second thing I would like to clarify is that the UK owned Radio Tatras International continues. Now here is the funny twist. RTI, whilst broadcasting from the UK, is now local radio for Poprad, again.
http://rtiarchivenews.blogspot.com/2...io-tatras.html
And we continue to promote the region around Poprad. You will often here me say to Slovak Citizens, "Please keep Slovakia Slovak, but share the message of its beauty to the world in English".
Finally, the principle of respecting where you live by learning the language is a very good thing. Holding Office (local or otherwise) in a country and expecting that country to translate official documents for you is crazy. In those areas I have no issue with language laws.
But hey we're still heard by many in the region, albeit from a UK base, and now RTI has more listeners in places like the USA than it ever had on FM. So maybe the language law was a good thing, in a strange way.
Regards
Eric
Eric Wiltsher
RTI - Resident in Poprad
RTI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1356
Qwert

D1 Jablonov - Behárovce

Well, let's return back to the motorways:

http://www.dialnice.info/gallery/album.php?album_id=159

Last edited by Qwert; March 12th, 2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #1357
i15

Likes (Received): 613

Another pictures: D1 Svinia - Prešov západ. This section seems to be almost finished, only some parts of multilevel crossing Presov-West are missing. It should be opened before general elections in june. On google maps, it's marked as "finished" for some time, but of course it's wrong

source: http://www.dialnice.info/gallery/album.php?album_id=86
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #1358
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
On google maps, it's marked as "finished" for some time, but of course it's wrong
No it ain't, it's just drawed on the map, but you can't plan a route on it yet because it ain't finished
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1359
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
No it ain't, it's just drawed on the map, but you can't plan a route on it yet because it ain't finished
Google Maps are mess. The section near Prešov has even wrong shape. Wrong shape has also recently opened section of D1 near Poprad, but if you try to plan route there it will show you correct shape:

On the other hand section west of Poprad which is already in operation isn't visible yet, but you can plan route there:

http://maps.google.sk/maps?f=d&sourc...08647&t=h&z=12
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1360
Qwert

D1 Sverepec - Vrtižer

Another Považská Bystrica photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caicoo View Post

Tags
motorways