daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1421
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Nice pictures, great speed of progress.

The Italian name what are you looking forward is "Lafranconi".

Yes, until the May Žilina and Bratislava will be connect with motorway (now it is without10 km), but it won`t be D1. Motorway D1 to Žilina will be build up in next 3-4 years if PPP will works. So, until May it is possible to have a ride from BA to ZA just on a motorway, but not just using D1. In Hríčovské Podhradie (near airport Žilina) you have to use motorway D3 to reach the city.

Last edited by seem; April 21st, 2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: my English :P
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1422
Doctor Wu

Likes (Received): 1

D1 or D3 - no matter. Smooth drive does matter. So I ask again : will the whole section from Sverepec to Podvaźie / Plevnik be open?

And why Lafranconi? What does it mean?
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:03 AM   #1423
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGJ View Post
Hi Amst and all at Slovak Highways,

Many thanks for all of your contributions! I enjoy the quality (especially the rival North/South/East/West Slovakia comments - it reminds me of UK-based threads) and it's great to see that major projects will be finished soon, despite the economic conditions.

I have stayed in the Crowne Plaza hotel (sign shown in the photo above) about 28 times in the last three years - maybe my Slovak language skills should be better by now!

Thank you all for helping me out on my drive around Slovakia exactly one year ago. My actual route was: Wien - Bratislava (diversion down to Mosonmagyarovar) - Zilina (diversion around R6) - Skalite (diversion to Czech border) - Krakow - Chyzne - Ruzomberok - Presov - Kosice - Zvolen - Banska Bystrica - Nitra - Trnava - Bratislava - Brno. My main conclusion is that Slovakia is truly a beautiful country.

I'm stuck in Moscow right now, trying to get back to the UK before the end of this MONTH Are any of you also affected by the flight shutdown?

Thanks again and regards!
I can't wait to see your photos.

Quote:
I have a question: what is the reason for strange blank spaces in the road signs around Bratislava? For example, the D2/D4 junction includes directions to Jarovce and Rusovce, and they both have a suspicious space just before the names. Is this to write "BA-" at some point in the future, perhaps?
You mean something like this?

Well, they probably don't want BA to be written everwhere. If a sign is white it's IMO useless to write there BA at all, because it's obvious the destination at the white sign is within Bratislava.

Quote:
Overall I found the roads to be in good condition and not too busy, but then I didn't travel on a Friday night out of Bratislava(!) The only section needing real improvement was through Skalite - it's completely unsuitable for commercial vehicles (and not much better for a VW Golf R32 )
Unfortunately, the road in Skalité will remain a bottleneck for couple of years. For now it's not supposed to be used by transit traffic from Slovakia to Poland. This traffic has to drive via Czech Republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu View Post
And why Lafranconi? What does it mean?
It's bridge in Western part of Bratislava (part of motorway D2). It's named after Grazioso Enea Lanfranconi who was an Italian engineer, inventor, archaeologist and so on. He is also author of some scientific works about Danube. Since 1870 until his death in 1895 he lived in Bratislava. There is also a student home close to the bridge named after him and in the centre of Bratislava there's Lafranconi's palace.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM   #1424
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
So I ask again : will the whole section from Sverepec to Podvaźie / Plevnik be open?
Yes, in one month.

some pics from

Motorway D1 Turany - Hubová (section Martin - Ružomberok )

Last edited by seem; April 21st, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1425
seem
Mornar bez mora

Expressway R1 - Bypass of Banská Bystrica

from Slovak forum

(Red line over Banská Bystrica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard.bb View Post
Križovatka Rudlová - 22.04.2010

Old April 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1426
Doctor Wu

Is it true what I've read on some other forum, that in Slovakia it is forbidden by the law to stick a GPS mount to the front windscreen?
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1427
Qwert

Quote:
Is it true what I've read on some other forum, that in Slovakia it is forbidden by the law to stick a GPS mount to the front windscreen?
No, it was forbidden for a short time, but it was quickly retracted when officials realised how stupid was that.
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1428
Doctor Wu

Old April 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1429
seem
Mornar bez mora

I mean also rosaries are not forbidden, again. That was also pretty weird law in such catholic countrey.

btw, I am not in Roman Catholic Church and I don`t have a car.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
No, it was forbidden for a short time, but it was quickly retracted when officials realised how stupid was that.
Some knuckleheads put that thing in the middle of the windshield though, blocking some sight. I usually put it on the lower left side.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #1431
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
In California is the same. You can attach GPS ONLY on Dashboard
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1432
Doctor Wu

Accordingly it should be forbidden to stick Slovak vignettes - they cover a considerable part of the glass
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1433
Qwert

Quote:
Accordingly it should be forbidden to stick Slovak vignettes - they cover a considerable part of the glass
I think that wasn't forbidden. It's just forbidden to have old vignettes stuck there.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1434
seem
Mornar bez mora

Motorway D4 - junction Stupava D2/D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post

nabudúce pofotím viac, stredobodom záujmu boli Bory
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1435
seem
Mornar bez mora

Expresswy R1 Nitra Západ - Selenec (bypass of Nitra)

pics from dialnice.info

junction Selenec

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #1436
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

SGJ Slovakia Road Trip 2009 - Part 1

Hi all,

Here are some photos from the first stage of my grand tour of Slovakia last year. If you like them, I will post some more photos from the rest of the trip!

Friday 24th April 2009

Kollarovo Namestie in central Bratislava. I visit the office on the left hand side of the photo at least once a month.

Coming off Novy Most on to I-2, which runs either side of highway D1. The sign for highways D2 and D4 was, I believe, the only one in Slovakia at the time to feature the letter "D": all others just displayed the highway number. I didn't see any "R" letters to signify expressways throughout my trip.

Driving southbound along D2. Euroroutes 65 and 75 both take this course - this is unusual because I believe the routes that end in 5 are supposed to be separated by some distance. Just south of the Hungarian border, E75 runs southeast to Budapest while E65 meanders along much smaller roads, down through western Hungary.

Approaching Hungary, 1 km from the border.

Just over the border, now on Hungarian D15. Note the "14" sign - not the same as the Slovak version - to indicate km from the highway start, and the lane drop signs to warn of the half profile ahead.

Back into Slovakia via Berg border crossing, after short drive through Hungary and Austria. Is there a larger distance number on any Slovak road sign than the 462 km to Kosice, I wonder?

Saturday 25th April 2009

Stefanikova street northbound. The presidential palace is just out of shot to the right. Early morning, with a long drive ahead.

I-2 northbound. I presume that E65 no longer takes this route, so perhaps the sign is technically incorrect.

I hoped to travel through the Sitina tunnel but it was closed for maintenance. This is the main route into Bratislava from the northwest, and until 3 years ago, was the main transit route through western Slovakia. Before the tunnel opened, I guess the queues here were horrendous (maybe similar to those around Prague! )

Back on to D2 southbound. Only D3 out of the Slovak highway numbers is missing!

D1 eastbound. This is the only 2x4 carriageway in Slovakia - maybe 300 metres long at most.

Just after the junction for Bratislava airport. A "BA-" is displayed here - it hasn't been covered up yet!

Out on to the open road. The signs for this Nitra/Trnava junction have improved greatly since this photo was taken. D1 was still 2x2 when I drove along it: I think the repainting of the lanes to make the highway 2x3 happened a few weeks afterwards.

Perfect conditions for driving: beautiful day and hardly any traffic. 130 km/h all the way here, of course. D1 picks up E50 at this junction with I-50.

That's all for now! Hopefully I'll put up some more photos in a few days.

Last edited by SGJ; May 6th, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Posted thumbnails instead of full size images!!!
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #1437
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 88

Nice thumbnails.
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #1438
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobek_Azbest View Post
Nice thumbnails.
OK, OK... I admit my mistake. You can tell that I haven't posted photos here before....

I did wonder what all those ".th" bits of the name meant!

They should be full size now.
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #1439
Qwert

Thank you very much. I can't wait to see more your photos.

Quote:
Back into Slovakia via Berg border crossing, after short drive through Hungary and Austria. Is there a larger distance number on any Slovak road sign than the 462 km to Kosice, I wonder?
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8938/img0637sv.jpg
I don't think there's any larger distance signed in Slovakia.

Quote:
I-2 northbound. I presume that E65 no longer takes this route, so perhaps the sign is technically incorrect.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7215/img0664a.jpg
E65 follows D2, but I/2 is parallel to D2 so it's probably not totally incorrect to sign it there too.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1440
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

great. waiting for more photos...
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways