daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #1561
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 306

Why are the railings/other steel structures on one part of the bridge red while on the other green? Looks weird.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1562
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
http://www.dialnice.info/gallery/image.php?mode=medium&album_id=121&image_id=8634

Why are the railings/other steel structures on one part of the bridge red while on the other green? Looks weird.
Together with the almost white concrete you get the Hungarian flag |||||||||
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1563
i15

Likes (Received): 612

Well, it's still better than magenta (pink) color used on steel structures on motorway under High Tatras
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM   #1564
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9382

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
Well, it's still better than magenta (pink) color used on steel structures on motorway under High Tatras
I have never understood this coloring constraint...

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1565
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Colour used on steel structures depends on the colour of maintenance centre on the section of a motorway. Who know`s why this one in Poprad has pink. Poprad is located in "Spiš" (Szepes/Spisz/Zips) region in the past it was also county (župa/megye).

coat of arms is combination of blue and red, anyway pink colour is not used on a coat of arms

Last edited by seem; June 3rd, 2010 at 09:33 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1566
i15

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Colour used on steel structures depends on the colour of maintenance centre on the section of a motorway.]
I know and I don't like this idea. What is the point? Is it so important to show, which maintenance centre mainain certain section of motorway? And using colours such as pink, or yellow is just plain stupid. Our motorway D1 will look like one big gay rights support flag, when it's finished.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1567
zagłębiak

Likes (Received): 585

This colours symbolize parts of bridge.
zagłębiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1568
HiRazor
Seriously Bohemian

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Colour used on steel structures depends on the colour of maintenance centre on the section of a motorway.
So the change in colour on the bridge suggests, there is a border between two maintenance centres? Why is the border so awkwardly placed in the middle of a bridge?

Btw what's the purpose of this? Discounts from paint shops? Imo at least in this particular case it really cripples the looks of the bridge.
HiRazor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1569
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRazor View Post
So the change in colour on the bridge suggests, there is a border between two maintenance centres? Why is the border so awkwardly placed in the middle of a bridge?

Btw what's the purpose of this? Discounts from paint shops? Imo at least in this particular case it really cripples the looks of the bridge.
No, the bridge and the sections adjacent from both sides belong to the same maintenance centre. From some reason someone made a decision the bridge will have different colour than the rest of the motorway. I guess they wanted to emphasize the bridge is something special.

Using different colour for each maintenance centre have aesthetic and practical reasons. Officials simply want the motorway not to be so boring and greyish. Although aesthetics of some of the chosen colours, especially the pink one under the Tatras, is at least questionable. Due to the practical reasons sections under one maintenance centre have the same colour. It makes maintenance easier. The bridge in Považská Bystrica is an exception though.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1570
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Pink colour under the Tatras is pretty bad, but even worse is (pale) yellow motorway D3 near Žilina.

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1571
SGJ

Likes (Received): 2

SGJ Slovakia Road Trip 2009 - Part 5

Great personages,

Here it is - the last instalment from my drive last year.

Monday 27th April 2009

Leaving Banska Bystrica, heading south along expressway R1.

On R1 westbound. I’m on my way to Trnava for a stop, then overnight in Bratislava again.

I’m diverting off course briefly, heading up I-65 on the long hill from R1 to Kremnica.

Kremnica is a beautiful small town…

… And this is one of the highlights of the whole trip for me. This is the Slovak Mint, where all Slovakia coins (and those of some other countries, like Czech Republic) are produced.

Back down the hill on I-65 towards R1.

R1 does not continue westbound at the moment, so I have to stay on I-65 for the time being.

That’s not a problem, though – even more stunning scenery and very little traffic.

Expressway R1 starts again just before Zarnovica.

Brief section with 3 lanes – presumably one is a climbing lane for slow vehicles.

A pretty older-style road sign for I-65, which snakes around R1 in this area.

There are lots of water towers in this part of Slovakia.

Back on I-65, now a much straighter road than before. There are many police speed traps in this area.

Bypassing Nitra to the north.

I imagine this roundabout must get busy at certain times of the day and week, but on a Monday afternoon, it’s not too bad.

Expressway starts again soon after leaving Nitra behind.

Here is the first sight of a highway sign for a very long time. I’m nowhere near D1 yet but it’s good to have advance warning

Much flatter landscapes in this part of Slovakia.

Cloverleaf junction with D1 just outside Trnava…

… And on the way into Trnava.

I drove to Bratislava during the night, staying in a hotel quite close to the airport.

Tuesday 28th April 2009

There are many complicated road signs in Bratislava. This road is still D1 even though the sign only mentions other highway numbers. I-2 splits here to run alongside D1.

Approaching the short 2x4 section westbound. These are the last few hundred metres of D1.

On D2 northbound. The highway seems quiet, just after the rush hour on a Tuesday morning.

Approaching the Sitina tunnel.

In the tunnel.

In between Bratislava and Malacky. There was no evidence of building the D4 junction when I travelled along the route – I think construction started very soon afterwards.

This is the last junction before the border. More police wait in the trees, to try to catch you speeding.

The Czech – Slovak border control post.

Bye bye Slovakia! It was a great few days, and I hope to see you again very soon!

That’s all folks – maybe I’ll do the route again in a year or two. Regards to all!
SGJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1572
mirolesko

Likes (Received): 13

Tomorrow (Monday) 7.6.2010 will be opened parts of D1 - Svinia-Prešov west at 15:00, Jablonov-Studenec and Studenec-Beharovce at 16:30. At the ceremony will be prime minister Robert Fico, director of NDS Igor Choma and director slovak goverment of Transport Ľubomír Vážny.
mirolesko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Too bad that short section near Bertotovce isn´t finished yet. Why do they build this motorway so fragmented in eastern Slovakia?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #1574
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Thank you, SGJ, great photos. I'm looking forward your next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Too bad that short section near Bertotovce isn´t finished yet. Why do they build this motorway so fragmented in eastern Slovakia?
They build what is prepared. They don't care if those prepared sections are next to each other or if there's a gap between them. Preparations of particular sections have always more or less different pace. BTW, the section near Bertotovce is part of PPP 1 project.

Frankly, those sections in Eastern Slovakia aren't actually that needed. Quality of I/18 is quite good there and traffic isn't very big. They are being build for sake of continuous motorway politicians want to have ASAP. There are way more important motorways or expressways which unfortunately have to wait. Plenty of them isn't even prepared for construction yet.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1575
gmbh

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Why do they build this motorway so fragmented in eastern Slovakia?
in eastern Slovakia isn't very big traffic but the road is partly quite good and partly not good. bertotovce is section fricovce-svinia - good road, but road quality in hilly country changes suddenly and the next section (svinia-presov) is one of the worst with many tragical accidents.
gmbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #1576
Kate.Kuj
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Hello,
Do You know are there any flood problems on road Barwinek, Svidnik, Presov, Kosice, SK-HU? I will be driving this road from 5 pm today.
Thanks for any information.
Kate.Kuj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1577
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Likes (Received): 573

You should not have problems. Motorway D1 PO-KE was yesterday partly under water, but now it's OK. Farewell
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #1578
caicoo

Likes (Received): 75

What I've heard, there are some damages on the road right behind the border on the Polish side
caicoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #1579
Kate.Kuj
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Yep,
Road in Dukla is totally damaged. There are diversions.
I'm worried about SK-HU - Miskolc, Hungarian forumers say its closed. I hope they will open it.
Kate.Kuj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1580
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Together with the almost white concrete you get the Hungarian flag |||||||||
I like it

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways