daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Comparing motorway mileage by area is completely useless. Why build motorways in the middle of nowhere? It sounds like they have a slight inferiority complex in Košice.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #1782
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Because we bad people of west (and north) have motorways! Did you get it? :P

It has to be equal. Doesn`t matter where it is. So it means that also district Detva or Nové zámky needs the same ratio as a Bratislava.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #1783
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Košice actually has a pretty good road network! Yes, they're not classified as motorways, but I would swap it for Zwolle's immediately. Many grade-separated interchanges, 2x2 roads and few traffic lights on the ring structure.

I do agree they should build more motorways to Košice, like R2 and extending D1, but these arguments sound kind of silly.
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1784
m0rph

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
Now that the true-Slovaks' Fico government is down, the "self-regulated" media are starting to publish reports on the imbalances in the highway network in Slovakia. This picture is from TV Markiza's analysis:

It shows that, among other things, the highway density in Bratislava region is 1km of highway for every 22 km2 of land. In Kosice, it's 1km of highway for every 750km2 of land.

I'm just wondering where in Nitra region they have highway/freeway? I saw in google maps that there is just 12km of highway/freeway... (from Bab to Nitra R1 / E571) is there any other highway/freeway?
m0rph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1785
Marek.kvackaj

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX View Post
Now that the true-Slovaks' Fico government is down, the "self-regulated" media are starting to publish reports on the imbalances in the highway network in Slovakia. This picture is from TV Markiza's analysis:

It shows that, among other things, the highway density in Bratislava region is 1km of highway for every 22 km2 of land. In Kosice, it's 1km of highway for every 750km2 of land.
it was said that density of highway per square km is very problematic...it should better publish density of highway per people in each region...
Marek.kvackaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1786
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Comparing motorway mileage by area is completely useless. Why build motorways in the middle of nowhere? It sounds like they have a slight inferiority complex in Košice.
Not all people in Košice have the complex. Only DrX AFAIK.

In Košice region there are only 9 km of road classified as motorway, on the other hand you can drive 26 km from Budimír (North-East of Košice) to Šaca (South-West of Košice) on 2x2 expressway like national roads. OK, there are few traffic lights, but traffic there is still more fluent there than on e.g. D1 within Bratislava. Form Šaca to the west there's about 40 km long stretch of pretty good I/50 which is probably one of the best pieces of roads in Slovakia.

It's by far not as bad with roads in Košice region as DrX is trying to say. Problem is mountain pass Soroška in the western part of the region on I/50. It would be also useful to extend D1 eastern from Košice to bypass mountain pass Dargov and from more long term point of view Košice definitely need outer ring. But it's not like Košice region needs ASAP as much motorways as Bratislava region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rph View Post
I'm just wondering where in Nitra region they have highway/freeway? I saw in google maps that there is just 12km of highway/freeway... (from Bab to Nitra R1 / E571) is there any other highway/freeway?
They did not counted only R1, they counted entire expressway from border with Trnava region to the roundabout under Zobor in Nitra which is 20 km long plus there is about 3 km long section of R1 near border with Banská Bystrica region.

Nitra region, although now being second worst in terms of motorway/expressway length, will get quite some boost next year when 46 km of R1 will be opened so together it will have 69 km of expressways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek.kvackaj View Post
it was said that density of highway per square km is very problematic...it should better publish density of highway per people in each region...
That wouldn't be totally correct too. For example Prešov region is the biggest in terms of the population (more than 807,000 inhabitants) bit its population density is only 90 people per square km. Bratislava region has 610,000 inhabitants, but its population density is 300 inhabitants per square km. If the population density is low there is much smaller need for high capacity roads i.e. motorways.

Last edited by Qwert; September 29th, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #1787
Qwert

Traffic Controls

Slovak police introduced very interesting feature. From now on they give information to the media and to the public about exact time and locations of road controls, speed checking etc. They even inform about exact brands and colours of cars and devices used for the control and also what is aim of the control (speed, alcohol, technical condition of the vehicles etc.).

President of the Police also said from now on controls will be located mostly in somehow dangerous locations (e.g. close to schools, at stretches with high accident rate or where road works are in progress).

Here is list of today traffic controls (in Slovak): http://natankuj.sme.sk/c/5570153/kde...-kontroly.html
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1788
seem
Mornar bez mora

For what is this good for?

Old September 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #1789
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
For what is this good for?
the role of the police is to prevent and not to punish
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So you get the idea it's not all about the money (as it usually is). They do this in the Netherlands as well, but they only publish sections where there could be mobile speed cameras, not the exact locations. Not all speed checks are announced beforehand.
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1791
seem
Mornar bez mora

Yes, of course I understand but I am not sure about effect.

Old September 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1792
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Yes, of course I understand but I am not sure about effect.
Basically it means police officers won't be hidden behind some bush 10 metres before the sign announcing the end of built-up area to collect money from drivers who start to accelerate 50 meters before the sign where there already aren't any buildings and drive 60 instead of 50 km/h. It also means they won't perform speed checks at safe straight and wide stretches outside built-up area and so on, because this has nothing to do with traffic safety, it's just ripping money from drivers.

Increased traffic safety can be achieved by simple presence of police officers on the road. It's not necessary to hide and collect fines from those who don't catch sight of them soon enough. They should be visible so people will naturally slow down and drive more considerately.
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1793
i15

Likes (Received): 612

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...4,2.458191&z=9

I/50 road from Secovce to the borders of Kosice and Banska Bystrica region has a very good quality, with 3 or 4 lanes when neccesary. Well, except mountain pass Soroska near Roznava with high accident rate and problems with trucks doing 30kph uphill. Road from Secovce to the border with Ukraine is not that good, with many villages, but in 2005 traffic was no more than 9000/day, so no 2+2 motorway is needed. Road I/68 to the Hungarian border was discussed before
i15 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1794
seem
Mornar bez mora

Btw, some parts of R2 will be build in a few yrs, for example near Rimavská sobota and from Zvolen to Lučenec, then this road will be really nice if you mind AADT except of Soroška section.

Old September 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1795
gmbh

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
So it means that also district Detva or Nové zámky needs the same ratio as a Bratislava.
it means comparable regions needs the same ratio.

Quote:
Nitra region, although now being second worst in terms of motorway/expressway length, will get quite some boost next year when 46 km of R1 will be opened so together it will have 69 km of expressways.
but this 69 km will be all till 2020 or 2030....

on the other hand if we talk about good roads like Kosice-Saca we can talk about road I/11 Zilina-Cadca.

Quote:
Comparing motorway mileage by area is completely useless.
it would be more interresting the map about priorities in next 5 years.... propose an objective criteria. population density ? then we build only aglomeration motorways. traffic density ? but good roads handle a quite big traffic. better is capacity, but the most objective is if tax payers pay for the roads in their own region. each region can choose his own priority....bratislava region can build besides D4 and R7 trams for example...kosice region can make big recontructions becasue (main and rural) roads on east are miserable besides build "korid".

roads in all country have problems and it´s injustice if people in another regions have to pay a few luxury investments like motorway D3, D1 tunnel visnove, R1 tunnel donovaly, or D4 tunnel karpaty.
gmbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1796
Qwert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbh View Post
but this 69 km will be all till 2020 or 2030....
That's something you cannot say for sure. There are plans for R8 north of Nitra, there are plans for 2x2 national road/expressway south of Nitra (to bypass I/64 between Nitra and Komjatice where it runs through built-up Nitra agglomeration). When these two roads will be built there will be an outstanding north - south corridor in Nitra region as the rest of I/64 is pretty good even now. Construction dates have not been set yet, but it's very probable until 2030 they will be built.

Secondary west - east corridor (R7) is also uncertain, but until 2030 it will be definitely built at least until Nové Zámky, but probably also beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmbh View Post
on the other hand if we talk about good roads like Kosice-Saca we can talk about road I/11 Zilina-Cadca.
Not entire I/11 is as good. It would be useful to bypass for example section north of Čadca and Kysucké Nové Mesto.
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1797
gmbh

Likes (Received): 3

there are many plans anywhere....nobody believes them...except naive people. some parts R8, R7 maybe till 2030...

road I/64 goes through villages and towns everywhere in northern and southern part too. the only real project till 2020 is maybe komarno-komarom bridge because our and hungarian politicians will have to make a proof of cooperation.
gmbh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #1798
DrX

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An insightful opinion... however, the reality in Slovakia is the exact opposite, governed by the rule: "why not politically decide to ignore infrastructure and other development certain regions, and sooner or later they will turn into a middle of nowhere".

BTW, it's entertaining to follow the news these days. The ex-government's Fico/Vazny/Choma + Zilina's politicians are in the news pretty much each day, talking about the cardinal crime committed on the Slovak (understand "true Slovak") population by not extending the wait period for the PPP1 project, using emotive irrational arguments about thousands of lost jobs and millions of EUROs in lost future economic growth.

At the same time, the EU is about to start a law suit for the corrupted ex-government's highway toll tender http://spectator.sme.sk/articles/vie...ll_tender.html . But, the discussion is completely distorted and biased towards what's to be or not to be constructed near Zilina, as if that was the only thing that mattered. And so, I like to point out once in a while that there are also other regions in Slovakia (in addition to BA/ZA) that have ambitions for development and need the same governmental support. ;-)
DrX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1799
seem
Mornar bez mora

Some new pictures from 7 km long bypass of Svidník in Eastern Slovakia - Prešovshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caicoo View Post
Najdrahsia cyklo-draha na Slovensku / R4-Svidnik obchvat este tadial ani plne nalozene trucky nepresli a uz... nanovo vybudovany nasyp pred poslednou upravou dnes boli na stavbe na kontrolu dve auta z NDS, uvidime ci sa to stihne dat do prevadzky este tento mesiac

Old October 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1800
zagłębiak

Likes (Received): 585

Direction Rzeszów. Does this road go to Poland?
zagłębiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways