daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #2221
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

D/PL A15/A18 Forst/Olszyna

Almost ready

click!
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2222
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Great! When will traffic be able to pass there smoothly? And are they doing the same at other motorway crossings between Poland and Germany?
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2223
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I don't know yet, but I will tomorrow.

From what I know, A2/A12 will be totally demolished too.

Other large crossings (A4 and A11) are on German side and I heard they are preparing something, but nothing serious hasn't started yet.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #2224
durio uno

Likes (Received): 2

…Malaysia-Thailand border

From travellerspoint

From bybike2malaysia
durio uno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2225
durio uno

...Malaysia-Thailand border (Malaysian side)

From bktkayuhitam.net
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #2226
durio uno

...Malaysia-Singapore border crossings (Malaysian side - Customs, Immigration & Quarantine-CIQ Centre)

From imageshack

Last edited by durio uno; November 17th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #2227
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
From what I know, A2/A12 will be totally demolished too.
Funny - I spoke with the Straż Graniczna at Swiecko a few days ago and they said that there was no intention to demolish the infrastructure there and at Kostrzyn as it was a useful base for the relevant authorities. Certainly the Straż Graniczna are using both facilities rigorously - virtually every time I've passed through Kostrzyn, there's been some sort of frontier authority monitoring traffic there and pulling random ones. But then again, they never seem to have a consistent line - the possibilities of a Wolosate border crossing seemed to change constantly.

Speaking of Swiecko, I'd love to know what the purpose is of the massive Urząd Celny (Customs) infrastructure about 5km from the border crossing - is it just a rest area now for trucks, or what? The whole area is actually quite interesting - I have some questions if anyone can actually clarify these.

1) When it was a PRL-DDR border, was there infrastructure on the DDR side too relating to border controls, or was everything carried out from Swiecko?

2) Likewise at Frankfurt Oder Stadtbruecke - was everything carried out on the German side, or did the Polish have infrastructure on their side too?

I cannot for the life of me believe that there would be joint DDR-PRL controls - but maybe there was?

I know with both of these, joint controls were conducted from one facility - but was this always the case?

Last edited by Eulanthe; November 18th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #2228
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87650

Amazing pics of Asia's southeast borders!!!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2229
durio uno

A Royal Malaysian Customs patrol car at Malaysia-Thailand border crossings

From rubenladen

Crossings at Malaysia-Thailand border (Malaysian side)

From picoodle

Last edited by durio uno; November 18th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2230
durio uno

Malaysia-Thailand railway border crossings (Malaysian side)

From wikiwak
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2231
durio uno

Malaysia-Thailand border crossings-eastern part (Malaysian side)

From imagshack
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2232
durio uno

Border of Malaysia-Thailand (Malaysian side)

From imageshack

From flickr
image hosted on flickr
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2233
durio uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
Amazing pics of Asia's southeast borders!!!
thanks for the comment...
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #2234
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Funny - I spoke with the Straż Graniczna at Swiecko a few days ago and they said that there was no intention to demolish the infrastructure ... virtually every time I've passed through Kostrzyn, there's been some sort of frontier authority monitoring traffic there ...
Świecko is indeed a large facility and it is unlikely that the realestate will ever be pulled down. Just like on the NL/D border, there will come a time when there will be increasingly little point in keeping the place going. I'd give it 10 years at most before someone decides that enough is enough and it will be shut down for good.

As for random checks, with EU-wide information available at the click of a mouse, border patrols go mainly after dodgy-looking customers and known criminals. If you were unlucky enough to have gone through a random check, then you must have looked suspicious or sheepish to them. I got pulled off to the side once because I licked my lips, which the customs guy took as a sign of stress, so he decided to check me out.

Quote:
Speaking of Swiecko, I'd love to know what the purpose is of the massive Urząd Celny (Customs) infrastructure about 5km from the border crossing ...
Used to be the Customs Office for heavy goods road transport (weighing, taxation, permits, visas, green cards etc) and still is but only for East European and other non-EU traffic.

Quote:
1) When it was a PRL-DDR border ... was everything carried out from Swiecko?

2) Likewise at Frankfurt Oder Stadtbruecke ...
Border controls were carried out on the Polish side and German side at Świecko and Frankfurt/Oder, respectively, at least for as long as I can remember (and don't mind saying that on this forum I am at least two sigmas away from mean in terms of age).

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; November 19th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #2235
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Świecko is indeed a large facility and it is unlikely that the realestate will ever be pulled down. Just like on the NL/D border, there will come a time when there will be increasingly little point in keeping the place going. I'd give it 10 years at most before someone decides that enough is enough and it will be shut down for good.
Probably after Euro 2012, I imagine - it'll be very heavily used then, and I suspect it will see quite a bit of use from all the relevant authorities at the time. It's the same reason I suspect Kostrzyn's facilities are still very much intact (though interestingly, the booths on entry to Poland have been removed, but not the ones towards Germany!).

Quote:
As for random checks, with EU-wide information available at the click of a mouse, border patrols go mainly after dodgy-looking customers and known criminals. If you were unlucky enough to have gone through a random check, then you must have looked suspicious or sheepish to them. I got pulled off to the side once because I licked my lips, which the customs guy took as a sign of stress, so he decided to check me out.
The impression I get is that the German/Polish border is still subject to a lot of scrutiny - the Straż Graniczna are watching virtually every cross border train (with the totally unexpected - not - pulling of anyone that isn't European) - and the German Zoll authorities seem to be very much interested in people bringing over more than their 800 cigarettes. It's certainly not like the D/NL border which seems to be completely ignored these days.

Quote:
Used to be the Customs Office for heavy goods road transport (weighing, taxation, permits, visas, green cards etc) and still is but only for East European and other non-EU traffic.
Wait - that's interesting - isn't all this stuff supposed to be sorted at the first crossing into the EU, not at intra-EU borders? I was confused when I went there - I haven't seen anything similar on intra-EU borders, except in the UK, and certainly not relating to heavy goods. There was a sign directing BY traffic there, which aroused my attention (so I went for a look!).

Quote:
Border controls were carried out on the Polish side and German side at Świecko and Frankfurt/Oder, respectively, at least for as long as I can remember (and don't mind saying that on this forum I am at least two sigmas away from mean in terms of age).
Interesting, thank you. I'm amazed at such cooperation - particularly the idea of Poland allowing a DDR control on their territory!

But another question - was Customs control pre-2004 carried out in the same facility for both sides, or did the Germans have somewhere on their side?

(final question if anyone knows - can anyone confirm if there was a German check on the German side of the border at Kustrin-Kietz at some point? There's a burnt-out guard hut on their side that suggests that there was indeed such a check, and a couple of web pages suggest at it - but nothing definite).
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2236
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
It's certainly not like the D/NL border which seems to be completely ignored these days.
That's not really true. There are often checks on road crossings and furthermore night trains are often checked. Of course the officers are very interested in drugs. However, traffic crossing the PL/D border will be checked more often than traffic crossing the D/NL border. Still, NL and D joined Schengen in 1993, Poland only joined in 2007, so it's not really a surprise.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2237
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
... Wait - that's interesting - isn't all this stuff supposed to be sorted at the first crossing into the EU, not at intra-EU borders? I was confused when I went there - I haven't seen anything similar on intra-EU borders, except in the UK, and certainly not relating to heavy goods. There was a sign directing BY traffic there, which aroused my attention (so I went for a look!).
In theory, you get checked on entry/exit to the EU. In practice, each member state reserves the right to carry out additional checks required by local by-laws. And to be fair, the Świecko terminal is nowhere near as busy as it used to be and deals mainly with non-EU traffic.

Quote:
Interesting, thank you. I'm amazed at such cooperation - particularly the idea of Poland allowing a DDR control on their territory!
This is just sheer pragmatism at play.
From my experience, all cross-border checks were carried out either on PL or D soil, never on both.

Quote:
But another question - was Customs control pre-2004 carried out in the same facility for both sides, or did the Germans have somewhere on their side?
As above, checks were carried out on one side of the border or the other, never both.
Same goes for PL/CZ and PL/SK traffic.
I suspect other PL/xxx border crossings were the same.

Quote:
(final question if anyone knows - can anyone confirm if there was a German check on the German side of the border at Kustrin-Kietz at some point? There's a burnt-out guard hut on their side that suggests that there was indeed such a check, and a couple of web pages suggest at it - but nothing definite).
Sorry, I only drove through Kostrzyn once in my life but never had the opportunity or inclination to go across the border.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #2238
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Great pics, durio uno !

US-Canadian border crossings:

I-95 in Maine:

A tiny border checkpoint on NY 276:

Ambassador Bridge in Detroit:

I-91 in Vermont:

I-15 in Montana:
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #2239
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87650

I love the street view!!!

Germany-Switzerland

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2240
durio uno

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Great pics, durio uno !

US-Canadian border crossings:

Thanks… the I-91 crossing looks quiet, I thought its always crowded…??

Tags
highways, motorways