daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #2321
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator
 
CasaMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Casablanca
Posts: 16,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think there's ferry between Melilla (African portion of Spain) and Algeria.
I'm not sure! Maybe!
__________________
No statement, no judgment, no argument, no comment !!!!
CasaMor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #2322
brisavoine
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: desconocida
Posts: 18,049
Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djurizmo View Post
Since Morocco - Algerian border is closed is there a way to travel by car from Morocco to Egypt, for example, by car? And does someone have experience about driving through those countries (Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt). Maybe this is not proper topic, but I don't know where to ask this kind od question.
I crossed the Moroccan-Algerian border a long time ago. It took 5 hours (2 hours on Moroccan side, 3 hours on Algerian side).
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #2323
Morsue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,282
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think there's ferry between Melilla (African portion of Spain) and Algeria.
No, there isn't. The only way to go from Morocco to Algeria without using an aeroplane is either by sneaking past the border in the desert (not recommended) or going to Almeria or Alicante and taking a ferry from there to Oran or Ghazaouet. I'm not quite sure if Moroccan registered vehicles are allowed in Algeria.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #2324
Eulanthe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,228
Likes (Received): 411

An interesting oddity in the EU is the almost complete refusal of the UK to adopt the standardised signs at her borders concerning which lanes are for EU and which lanes for All Passports.

Just look at this example in Calais - ugly or what?



(incidentally, it ranks as the only time I've gone through passport control while incredibly drunk - the old guy in the booth wanted to look at us and didn't quite catch on that the passengers in the car were all slightly the worse for wear!). Next year, I think a spot of living dangerously has to occur and a drunken border crossing at Medyka has to happen!

Incidentally, could someone be kind enough to call the Straż Graniczna at Medyka and ask them about the opening hours of the pedestrian border there?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #2325
ggonza
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,487
Likes (Received): 1

Argentina - Bolivia



Man, Bolivia is scary...

ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #2326
ggonza
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,487
Likes (Received): 1

Argentina - Paraguay



ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #2327
ggonza
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,487
Likes (Received): 1

Argentina - Chile





Chile is quite well economically, so there's not much security on the Argentina - Chile border, in case they want to inmigrate there.
ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #2328
ggonza
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,487
Likes (Received): 1

Argentina - Brazil



ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #2329
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
No, there isn't.
Not even an ordinary passenger boat (without car)? Anyway, that's what I've heard, nothing else (it also made sense to me).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #2330
durio uno
Registered User
 
durio uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Langkasuka republika
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
I crossed the Moroccan-Algerian border a long time ago. It took 5 hours (2 hours on Moroccan side, 3 hours on Algerian side).

Why it took so long? Was that because of the traffic or bureaucratic procedures?
durio uno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #2331
durio uno
Registered User
 
durio uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Langkasuka republika
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggonza View Post
Argentina - Bolivia



Man, Bolivia is scary...

Bolivia is scary? any reason for that? just curious...
durio uno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2332
ggonza
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,487
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by durio uno View Post
Bolivia is scary? any reason for that? just curious...
You won't want to know my trip stories
ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM   #2333
Morsue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 1,282
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Not even an ordinary passenger boat (without car)? Anyway, that's what I've heard, nothing else (it also made sense to me).
I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't make sense to me. Melilla is quite small, and I don't think there's a market for Spaniards going to Algeria from there or Algerians going to Spain via Melilla. The more logical thing would be a connection between Nador (which is next door) and Ghazaouet. A lot of Moroccans living in the east have families in western Algeria (and vice-versa) and that would help them keep in touch as long as the border is closed.

But the best thing in the long run is to open the border. Eastern Morocco is currently an economic dead end. An opening of the border would make it the main transit route between Rabat and Algiers. Morocco is building a motorway to Oujda, 13 kms from the border, while Algeria's East-West motorway will end just short of the border.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM   #2334
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't make sense to me. Melilla is quite small, and I don't think there's a market for Spaniards going to Algeria from there or Algerians going to Spain via Melilla. The more logical thing would be a connection between Nador (which is next door) and Ghazaouet. A lot of Moroccans living in the east have families in western Algeria (and vice-versa) and that would help them keep in touch as long as the border is closed.
Of course Melilla itself is too small to have ferry to Algeria, but it would make sense exactly because the Moroccan-Algerian border is closed (so you can get from Morocco to Algeria via Melilla). Anyway, I looked up and there's no ferry from Melilla to Algeria, only to Málaga and Almería. Thus you can only get from Morocco to Algeria through Mauritania or by ferry from the European part of Spain.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2335
abdeka
Algerian moderator
 
abdeka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,680
Likes (Received): 13221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djurizmo View Post
Since Morocco - Algerian border is closed is there a way to travel by car from Morocco to Egypt, for example, by car? And does someone have experience about driving through those countries (Morocco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt). Maybe this is not proper topic, but I don't know where to ask this kind od question.
Clearly, no! Algeria closed completely his border with Morocco. Impossible to cross it. But you can go from Algeria to Egypt (and vice-versa) by car. There is no problem.

It is possible to take a ferry from Almeria or Alicante to Oran or Almeria-Ghazaouet. There's no ferry between Melilla and Algeria.
__________________
"Babylon in all its desolation is a sight not so awful as that of the human mind in ruins." Nelson DeMille, By the Rivers of Babylon.

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM

Last edited by abdeka; December 3rd, 2009 at 10:57 AM.
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2336
Markowice10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gdańsk (PL)
Posts: 853
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdeka View Post
Clearly, no! Algeria closed completely his border with Morocco. Impossible to cross it. But you can go from Algeria to Egypt (and vice-versa) by car. There is no problem.

It is possible to take a ferry from Almeria or Alicante to Oran or Almeria-Ghazaouet. There's no ferry between Melilla and Algeria.
Why is closed the Moroccan-Algerian border?
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #2337
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator
 
CasaMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Casablanca
Posts: 16,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowice10 View Post
Why is closed the Moroccan-Algerian border?
In 1994, some algerians bombed a hotel in Marrakech, the moroccan government decided to impose visa to algerians so algeria closed it's borders with Morocco! That's the real reason!
Now Morocco, 15 years later, wants to reopen the borders but Algeria refuses, don't know why!
__________________
No statement, no judgment, no argument, no comment !!!!
CasaMor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2338
abdeka
Algerian moderator
 
abdeka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,680
Likes (Received): 13221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowice10 View Post
Why is closed the Moroccan-Algerian border?
In 1994, Moroccan authorities have accused the Algerian secret services of having committed an attack in Marrakech and Morocco had decided to close the border, Algeria has done the same thing on his side. French survey was then exonerated Algeria.

Nowadays, the King of Morocco has called on Algeria to reopen its border, but Algeria did not want to do it for these political and historical reasons.
__________________
"Babylon in all its desolation is a sight not so awful as that of the human mind in ruins." Nelson DeMille, By the Rivers of Babylon.

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #2339
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator
 
CasaMor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Casablanca
Posts: 16,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdeka View Post
In 1994, Moroccan authorities have accused the Algerian secret services of having committed an attack in Marrakech and Morocco had decided to close the border, Algeria has done the same thing on his side. French survey was then exonerated Algeria.

Nowadays, the King of Morocco has called on Algeria to reopen its border, but Algeria did not want to do it for these political and historical reasons.
Your forgot the visa stuff!
Now it's all about the Western Sahara!
__________________
No statement, no judgment, no argument, no comment !!!!
CasaMor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2340
Markowice10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gdańsk (PL)
Posts: 853
Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMor View Post
Your forgot the visa stuff!
Now it's all about the Western Sahara!
Poland and Germany were enemies during second world war.
Now, no exists any border among Poland and Germany.
This is the good example.
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium