daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #2421
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

The border between the French Republic and the German Empire from 1871 to 1918.

[img]http://i45.************/2lthb80.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i46.************/2ajtn5d.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #2422
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think nearly all French border crossings still have customs offices, except for very local roads.
Quite a few don't anymore - though one notable example is near Lille on the ...E17 I think.

One very interesting place is the Spain-France border at Irun, on the bridges connecting Hendaye and Irun on the N-I (not the A63/A8 border). There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever there of there ever being a border control - in fact, I'm trying to find out if there actually was control whatsoever there. I assume so from the presence of a bridge, but..
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #2423
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Quite a few don't anymore.
Yep. Apparently French Customs like to wait at the nearest autoroute toll plaza for their "victims".
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #2424
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87659

The only bridge between Mexico and Belize:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelquirarte View Post
PUENTE INTERNACIONAL MÉXICO - BELICE
(El único que existe entre ambos países)

[CENTER]

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2425
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Yep. Apparently French Customs like to wait at the nearest autoroute toll plaza for their "victims".
Or as in my case in September, I was checked at the Poitiers sud toll station coming from the N10. That's quite far away from any border crossing.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #2426
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Or as in my case in September, I was checked at the Poitiers sud toll station coming from the N10. That's quite far away from any border crossing.
It would seem that the original intention of Schengen (little/no checks at the internal borders, roaming checks within the country) is finally happening on a serious scale.

But it seems that most countries are deliberately using Customs checks as an excuse to perform passport controls too. For instance, in France - it should be the Police Aux Frontieres that do passport controls, not the Douanes Francais. Likewise, the German Zoll are conducting checks as opposed to the Bundespolizei - although in Poland, the Straż Graniczna are doing most of the checks.

Actually - in some respects, the rise of Schengen has been a bad thing for the traveller. I was travelling across the border at Kostrzyn recently and wanted information about German car regulations. Pre-Schengen, this would have been easy - pull up the car, visit the offices and walk away with the relevant information. But now - there's little to no information at most borders.

I can't help but think that it would make sense for major border crossings to be manned 24/7 to assist travellers - how can you comply with things such as customs regulations if there's nowhere to even make a declaration to? Certainly before Schengen - you could always find out the relevant information and choose to bin things instead of importing them. But now - you're wide open to being caught in the country, especially as ignorance is no defence.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2427
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
But it seems that most countries are deliberately using Customs checks as an excuse to perform passport controls too. For instance, in France - it should be the Police Aux Frontieres that do passport controls, not the Douanes Francais. Likewise, the German Zoll are conducting checks as opposed to the Bundespolizei - although in Poland, the Straż Graniczna are doing most of the checks.
The furthermost place I have been checked by the customs, was when leaving a restaurant at the R0, Brussels Ring (near Ruisbroek)_ (a quick check: papers of the car, passport and the question whether I was living in Belgium. That was all).
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #2428
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Palance, you know thepolcie dont have the righ tto aks you where you go or where are you vcoming from if you are a citizen of EU. This is one of your rights, they should know it
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #2429
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Probably they have this reflex, when i leave romania, border police always asks where i'm going.
panda80 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #2430
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Who asks you? Hungarian or Romanian?
I will have to find this thing I see, but anyway you are right they are used to ask you, they have it from the pre EU era.
Dont worry Hungarians asked me when leaving Hungary for Serbia if I am going to Romania, only because I had italian registration on my car.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #2431
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Who asks you? Hungarian or Romanian?
I will have to find this thing I see, but anyway you are right they are used to ask you, they have it from the pre EU era.
Dont worry Hungarians asked me when leaving Hungary for Serbia if I am going to Romania, only because I had italian registration on my car.
Mostly romanian. This happens not only on the hungarian border but also on bulgarian one. Sunday I was in Bulgaria and they asked me where I'm going. However you can tell them anything you want, if you don't want to tell exactly where are you going.
panda80 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #2432
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

One time a french police officer waved us through, the he saw my mother (whose mixed race) and ordered us to stop. He went through out passports, the took them, looked at our registarion, then allowed us to go.

The Irish police were wall sitting down drinking coffee
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #2433
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post

The Irish police were wall sitting down drinking coffee
I was suprised when entering Ireland that the Garda asked what nationality the people in the car were from. Also the Welsh police (Heddlu) got us to fill out departure cards. I thought being in the common travel area meant this was not meant to happen, especially as I could have entered NI from GB and crossed the open land border into ROI.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2434
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

That does happen, but not often.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #2435
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

I was also stopped by French customs. At 3 am...

Slovenian border police also commonly asks where are you going when you are leaving Schengen area.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #2436
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I never got checked in a car while crossing Schengen borders. I've been checked a few times while crossing Schengen borders by train (mainly on Germany's borders)
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #2437
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Back to borders! Behold the border between France and the mighty Principality of Andorra.

(PS: A cousin of mine worked on the border point one summer. She was sick the first two weeks due to the altitude.)

[img]http://i49.************/zybj7l.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #2438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Pas de la Casa? As there was an uphill traffic jam into Andorra, I used the tunnel
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2439
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
I never got checked in a car while crossing Schengen borders. I've been checked a few times while crossing Schengen borders by train (mainly on Germany's borders)
I never got checked in Schengen area, too.
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2440
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I got stopped at the Öresund Bridge last year upon entering Sweden. A random check, and quite an in depth and detailed one too. But never once did they ask for my passport or any sort of ID!
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways