daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #2441
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I got stopped at the Öresund Bridge last year upon entering Sweden. A random check, and quite an in depth and detailed one too. But never once did they ask for my passport or any sort of ID!
I had the exact same thing back in 2007 at the Öresund Bridge. But I have Drugs plates... I mean Dutch plates, so it's not that unexpected to be stopped. I got stopped this year in southern Germany as well by the Bundespolizei.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #2442
ardmacha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 112
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I was suprised when entering Ireland that the Garda asked what nationality the people in the car were from. Also the Welsh police (Heddlu) got us to fill out departure cards. I thought being in the common travel area meant this was not meant to happen, especially as I could have entered NI from GB and crossed the open land border into ROI.
The Irish - British common travel area is not properly organised like the Schengen area, there is no common visa. Only Irish and British people are permitted to travel without documents and while EU citizens are of course free to enter, other nationalities may require a visa. It is very unsatisfactory.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2443
Danielk2
DanielKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dronninglund
Posts: 670
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I had the exact same thing back in 2007 at the Öresund Bridge. But I have Drugs plates... I mean Dutch plates, so it's not that unexpected to be stopped. I got stopped this year in southern Germany as well by the Bundespolizei.
If Nederland just banned drugs, you wouldn't get stopped so many times
__________________
thinkmetric
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #2444
Timon91
Error
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: just outside Germany
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 46

Drugs are also the reason why trains are checked so often. Some officers stripped the compartment I was in (in the night train Amsterdam-Wien) at the Dutch-German border. They were quite disappointed that I didn't have any drugs with me
__________________
My Flickr account.
Some of my photoseries: Northern Ireland, Prague, Boston, Alaska part 1, 2, 3, Smoggy Moscow, Warsaw, Wrocław, Kiev, Donetsk, Odessa and Chişinău.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2445
eucitizen
Registered User
 
eucitizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MO,A,BA,PP
Posts: 526
Likes (Received): 20

I think Nl citizens will have form january some fellows as drug "dealers".In fact in the Czech republic, they decided that a minimum quantity, for own use, of marijauna, cokaine, heroin,ecstasy and pervitin will not be punished. I guess the neighbouring countries will improve random checks against czech cars.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2446
pijanec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ptuj
Posts: 1,800
Likes (Received): 6

You guys are so behind times.

By law Portugal decriminalize all drugs back in 2001. It has proved extremely effective so far.

Also,
Quote:
Personal possession of any drug—even the hardest—is not a crime in Spain, Portugal, Italy, the Czech Republic or the Baltic states. Some German states and Swiss cantons take the same line.
Place where it is the easiest way to legally get marijuana is California.

Netherlands just isn't that liberal as people use to think. They also have the highest number of prisoners in Europe for drug possesion.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2447
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,432
Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
You guys are so behind times.

By law Portugal decriminalize all drugs back in 2001. It has proved extremely effective so far.

Also,


Place where it is the easiest way to legally get marijuana is California.

Netherlands just isn't that liberal as people use to think. They also have the highest number of prisoners in Europe for drug possesion.
I'm not really sure what to think of this.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #2448
pijanec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ptuj
Posts: 1,800
Likes (Received): 6

There is a research if you want to educate yourself.

Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #2449
Danielk2
DanielKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dronninglund
Posts: 670
Likes (Received): 2

If drugs were decriminalized in DK, no people would have been killed in the danish gang war. If nobody here has heard of it, it's a war between Hells Angels, Bandidos and some Immigrant gangs in Copenhagen.
__________________
thinkmetric
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2450
eucitizen
Registered User
 
eucitizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MO,A,BA,PP
Posts: 526
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
You guys are so behind times.

By law Portugal decriminalize all drugs back in 2001. It has proved extremely effective so far.

Also,


Place where it is the easiest way to legally get marijuana is California.

Netherlands just isn't that liberal as people use to think. They also have the highest number of prisoners in Europe for drug possesion.
I just wrote about CZceh republic as the last one to introduce this with higher limits for personal use. Then yuo forgot also Slovakia where own use is not punished too.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #2451
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.
 
Fuzzy Llama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skierniewice/Warszawa
Posts: 741
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I got stopped at the Öresund Bridge last year upon entering Sweden. A random check, and quite an in depth and detailed one too. But never once did they ask for my passport or any sort of ID!
My suspicious, terrorist- and illegal-immigration-related licence plates (pre-2000 Polish set with black background and white letters) got me stopped a few times, last time at German-Dutch border. I was then travelling with a Japanese guy, the Dutch police was examining his passport for nearly 10 minutes
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #2452
Danielk2
DanielKK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dronninglund
Posts: 670
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
My suspicious, terrorist- and illegal-immigration-related licence plates (pre-2000 Polish set with black background and white letters) got me stopped a few times, last time at German-Dutch border. I was then travelling with a Japanese guy, the Dutch police was examining his passport for nearly 10 minutes
Get some good old (rather new) EU-plates and you won't get stopped again!

There's absolutely no guarantee that you will not get stopped. Danielk2 is not responsible for anything he says or does on SSC
__________________
thinkmetric
Danielk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2453
shpirtkosova
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,373
Likes (Received): 6

This is a new border crossing between Kosovo and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia...



shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2454
Stainless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pyeongnae
Posts: 420
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
The Irish - British common travel area is not properly organised like the Schengen area, there is no common visa. Only Irish and British people are permitted to travel without documents and while EU citizens are of course free to enter, other nationalities may require a visa. It is very unsatisfactory.
I know, it means that there is no legal way for someone to cross the land border between ROI and UK if they require an entry or exit stamp or visa. The only way is to fly so you can go through immigration. There was a case of someone being deported to the UK from ROI because they had a British visa and had cross into ROI without checks and were trying to fly somewhere outside the common travel area. Basically the problem is an Irish exit stamp does not show you have left Britain or vice versa. If they amended this, or just joined the Schengen agreement so the CTA could be simply absorbed into it, there would be no problem. Entry requirements are already harmonised to make things easier.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #2455
eucitizen
Registered User
 
eucitizen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MO,A,BA,PP
Posts: 526
Likes (Received): 20

I just read, that EU forced UK not to use the new electronic checking system for EU citizens. It will be only on voluntary basis for them.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2456
Eulanthe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,228
Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I know, it means that there is no legal way for someone to cross the land border between ROI and UK if they require an entry or exit stamp or visa. The only way is to fly so you can go through immigration.
Why would someone need a stamp? If they don't need a visa, then a stamp isn't compulsory in their passport. If they need it, then they can always visit the nearest Gardai station and arrange for some sort of proof of when they crossed the border.

Visas aren't issued on the Irish or British borders anyway, so it's a moot point. The only real problem is that it's possible to enter the 'other' juristriction illegally, although both sets of immigration officials are empowered to refuse entry to anyone that they believe will be heading to the 'other' country. For instance - entering the UK on a Chinese passport and declaring that you intend to visit Ireland is enough for someone to be refused access into the UK.

Why the UK and Ireland don't have a common visa policy is beyond me - but the current system does work.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2457
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net
 
Palance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Palancedrecht, NL
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Why would someone need a stamp? If they don't need a visa, then a stamp isn't compulsory in their passport.
That is not true. A lot of countries grant accees only for a maximum stay of, let's say, 30 days or 3 months without a visa. The most simple fact to check this is by giving a stamp in the passport on entry/exit but that has nothing to do with a visa.
__________________
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #2458
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,472
Likes (Received): 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
That is not true. A lot of countries grant accees only for a maximum stay of, let's say, 30 days or 3 months without a visa. The most simple fact to check this is by giving a stamp in the passport on entry/exit but that has nothing to do with a visa.
on half of stamps in my passport dates are invisible (blured)
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2459
Eulanthe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,228
Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
That is not true. A lot of countries grant accees only for a maximum stay of, let's say, 30 days or 3 months without a visa. The most simple fact to check this is by giving a stamp in the passport on entry/exit but that has nothing to do with a visa.
It's not an absolute legal requirement in the UK or Ireland though.

I believe the offiical advice is that if anyone needs a stamp in their passport, they should go to the nearest police station upon crossing the border.

A question by the way - before Schengen in 2007, how 'open' was the Polish border with the Czech Republic and Slovakia? Was it a simple matter of walking across, or were there fences/etc to prohibit movement?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2460
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina
 
Barciur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania / Lublin (PL)
Posts: 2,167
Likes (Received): 1572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's not an absolute legal requirement in the UK or Ireland though.

I believe the offiical advice is that if anyone needs a stamp in their passport, they should go to the nearest police station upon crossing the border.

A question by the way - before Schengen in 2007, how 'open' was the Polish border with the Czech Republic and Slovakia? Was it a simple matter of walking across, or were there fences/etc to prohibit movement?
You had to present an ID (not necessarily a passport), it wasn't just a walk-across type of a thing
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium