daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2481
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Congratulations Djurizmo for you country and MK and MNE being finally on the white Schengen list. You deserved it!
they are not in Schengen, they are just no-visa now

EDIT: I misread "white", you are right
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2482
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djurizmo View Post
I was in Oslo for past three days. Finally, traveling without visas. Passport control officers were very confused, because they haven't got information about no-visa traveling for Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia. So, they needed quick Internet education. Very funny situation.
get used they asked me in Austria visa this summer (Graz airport), and i'm not sure if we even ever needed visa for Austria
not to mention GB or Scandinavian countries, i hear every while people who were asked for visas
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2483
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Well but Croatia needed visa for while for UK.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2484
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

yes, they were suspended some 2 years ago, if i remember well
edit: almost 4 years (22nd March 2006)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2485
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

They will learn... but it was great feeling after 18 years.
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #2486
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Well but Croatia needed visa for while for UK.

I can't wait for the day that the UK joins the rest of Europe with these things...
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #2487
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It would be much easier to get more HST to the UK from Europe's mainlaind. At the moment every station needs to have a "border crossing" for passport/ID control, which is one of the reasons why there is still no Eurostar from London to Amsterdam.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #2488
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
It would be much easier to get more HST to the UK from Europe's mainlaind. At the moment every station needs to have a "border crossing" for passport/ID control, which is one of the reasons why there is still no Eurostar from London to Amsterdam.
Why? Isn't it sufficient to have one station at the border for passport control? There the officer can enter the train and request documents and as well search the train for any suspect objects. That's the way it functions on Romania's borders.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #2489
KingGenti
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
This is a new border crossing between Kosovo and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia...

Very nice.
KingGenti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2490
Kubajzo

Likes (Received): 1

I come from Slovakia. When I was traveling from Heathrow to NY I was asked for visa when I told them that I don't have to have visa they had to check with superiors. They delayed me for a while but after that they started to apologize. I wasn't angry. Slovaks traveling to US don't need visa from november 08 and I was flying in january 09. People get used to new conditions every time.

About GB...I am not really sure if I want to consider them to be a full EU member. I mean the only time I hear about GB and EU in one article is when they protest against something.
Kubajzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2491
Buddy Holly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Seeing as they're one of the largest economies of the EU and one of the oldest members of the union, I don't think it's up to you to decide whether they're part of the EU or not.
Buddy Holly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #2492
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

They can be considered a member of EU, but not a full one as they have some opt outs. But it is their right to decide how deeply they want to integrate into the EU, what is important is that they don't block the other member countries to go on with integration.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #2493
Kubajzo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Holly View Post
Seeing as they're one of the largest economies of the EU and one of the oldest members of the union, I don't think it's up to you to decide whether they're part of the EU or not.
Sure it's not up to me. I just expressed my opinion. I believe I have the right for that. What I wrote is what many people think, even people from GB. By the way I don't mean to argue here and You shouldn't take every word I say so seriously.
Kubajzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2494
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Why? Isn't it sufficient to have one station at the border for passport control? There the officer can enter the train and request documents and as well search the train for any suspect objects. That's the way it functions on Romania's borders.
As the border is in the middle of the Channel it might be a bit inconvenient for said officer to have to hang around in the service tunnel waiting for a train!

Why does the need for border control prevent Eurostar going to Amsterdam? If you board a Eurostar in the UK you pass through the border controls that are already there; it is irrelevant whether the train then goes to Paris, Brussels or (if there was such a service) Amsterdam. In Amsterdam they would need passport control booths but the main thing would be the security checkpoint - and that's to do with the Channel Tunnel, nothing to do with passport requirements!
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2495
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by scragend View Post
Why does the need for border control prevent Eurostar going to Amsterdam? If you board a Eurostar in the UK you pass through the border controls that are already there; it is irrelevant whether the train then goes to Paris, Brussels or (if there was such a service) Amsterdam. In Amsterdam they would need passport control booths but the main thing would be the security checkpoint - and that's to do with the Channel Tunnel, nothing to do with passport requirements!
The construction of those passport control booths in Amsterdam would likely take 20 years with a cost-overrun equal to at least three times the original budget. That's how things work in Amsterdam

That being said, if you'd check passports in Amsterdam, that means that also people travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels on the Eurostar would have to go through passport control. Despite the fact that you stay within the Schengen area. If you travel to London from Paris, Brussels or Lille, it will always be non-stop, so everyone who boards the train must clear immigration anyway. That would no longer be the case with an extention to in Amsterdam or (for instance) Germany. To make those connections feasible, I guess that the powers that be would have to get comfortable with checks on the train rather than on the station.
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2496
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Oh yeah!

PL/D A4 Jędrzychowice/Ludwigsdorf

http://www.mdr.de/sachsen/bautzen/6948715.html
Quote:
Ludwigsdorfer Zollanlagen werden abgebaut

Am deutsch-polnischen Autobahngrenzübergang Ludwigsdorf bei Görlitz hat der Abbau der ehemaligen Abfertigungsanlagen begonnen. Wie der MDR von Bauleiter Frank Kozber erfuhr, wurde zunächst mit der Demontage der Stahlkonstruktion des Daches begonnen. Das mehr als 40 Tonnen schwere Bauteil wurde mit Hilfe von vier Kränen von den Tragpfeilern gehoben. In den kommenden Tagen wird die Konstruktion zerlegt
Das Zollamt Ludwigsdorf war im August 1996 in Betrieb genommen worden. Es galt damals als modernste und größte der insgesamt 16 Zollanlagen an der deutsch-polnischen Grenze. Nach Angaben des deutschen Zolls und der polnischen Polizei wurde der Autobahngrenzübergang von Schmugglern eher gemieden, weil dort sehr effektiv kontrolliert wurde.

(...)

mdr/ds/20.12.2009

Before:

Last edited by PLH; December 26th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2497
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Great news!

Old December 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2498
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

I am guessing they are taking this town but can somebody translate the article for us non-German speaking please?
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #2499
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Sorry for google translate, but I corrected it a little bit

Quote:
At the German-Polish highway border crossing near Görlitz Ludwigsdorf the dismantling of the former handling facilities has begun. As the supervisor of MDR Frank Kozber learned it was initially begun with the dismantling of the steel structure of the roof. The component of more than 40 tons was lifted with the help of four cranes. In the coming days, the construction will be demolished.
The customs agency Ludwigsdorf was taken into operation in August 1996. It was regarded as the most modern and largest of the 16 border crossings at the German-Polish border. According to the German customs police and the Polish border guards smugglers rather avoided this crossing, because it has been controlled very effectively.
I hope the speed limit won't be less than 80 (on A15/A18 it is 60, but there is finally 2x2). Dynamic signs would be the best soultion anyway.

Last edited by PLH; December 26th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #2500
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Spain/Portugal border. Second southernmost European border (the southernmost is Gibraltar (UK) - Spain).

Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways