daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #2501
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

The pavement on that bridge is awful.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2502
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

It's already Spanish, isn't it?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, the bridge is exactly at the border, so I don't know under which jurisdiction it falls, but motorways in border regions tends to get little attention in maintenance, especially after the last domestic exit, because road authorities don't really care about it. You can see this in a lot of countries.
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2504
Valdepasillano
Badajocense y Español

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post

It's already Spanish, isn't it?
Only the first half of the bridge belongs to Spain. However both the bridge and the Portuguese side of the highway are in an awful state.
In my town the situation is the opposite. The Portuguese road is best preserved than the Spanish one. I think it depends on the motivation of the politicians who live in the different zones.
Old December 27th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #2505
Gzdvtz
Whatevah

Crossing from Ohrid, Macedonia to Pogradec, Albania

[IMG]http://i47.************/29xdmcx.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2506
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
Spain/Portugal border. Second southernmost European border (the southernmost is Gibraltar (UK) - Spain).
Uh hum, uh hum... THIS is the southernmost European border.

[img]http://i50.************/6t0lu0.png[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2507
ChrisZwolle
Road user

French Guyana is not part of Europe

It is part of a European country though, but that doesn't make it part of Europe. The Netherlands and France also share a border, but not in Europe.
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2508
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

the Dutch/French border is on Sint Maarten/Saint Martin
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2509
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
French Guyana is not part of Europe
Well it's part of the political Europe, and borders are eminently political things, no?

I was watching the European Commissioner in charge of regional development or something like that on RFO Guyane news the other night. She seemed to take her visit to French Guiana quite seriously. She's a women from the Baltic states I believe. I wonder how it must feel for her talking about Europe in the steamy heat of the Guianese jungle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Netherlands and France also share a border, but not in Europe.
Soon in Europe too, soon.
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2510
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
the Dutch/French border is on Sint Maarten/Saint Martin
Strictly speaking, it's not a European border, because Sint Maarten is not part of the EU, unlike French Guiana. EU laws don't apply in Sint Maarten, and European commisioners have no authority over Sint Maarten, although I guess you could call it an external EU border, from the point of view of Saint-Martin, but the thing is, now that Saint-Martin has seceded from Guadeloupe, its European status is a bit in a limbo (it's not quite clear if it's still part of the EU or not).
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #2511
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Strictly speaking, it's not a European border, because Sint Maarten is not part of the EU, unlike French Guiana. EU laws don't apply in Sint Maarten, and European commisioners have no authority over Sint Maarten, although I guess you could call it an external EU border, from the point of view of Saint-Martin, but the thing is, now that Saint-Martin has seceded from Guadeloupe, its European status is a bit in a limbo (it's not quite clear if it's still part of the EU or not).
You don't have to be in the EU to be in Europe, for example the Switzerland/Liechtenstein border is in Europe but neither are in the EU. The borders of French Guiana are external EU borders, like Poland/Belarus for example. Europe is a geographical area and EU is a political one. Although to be fair Europe is a peninsula of the Asian land mass so any separation of the two is purely cultural.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #2512
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
You don't have to be in the EU to be in Europe, for example the Switzerland/Liechtenstein border is in Europe but neither are in the EU.
Yes, but if you're neither in the EU nor on the European continent, then...
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #2513
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

Apparently we need some South American representation here eh!

Brazil - Paraguay border (from Paraguay to Brazil)

Brazil - Argentina border (between customs)

schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #2514
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
That being said, if you'd check passports in Amsterdam, that means that also people travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels on the Eurostar would have to go through passport control. Despite the fact that you stay within the Schengen area. If you travel to London from Paris, Brussels or Lille, it will always be non-stop, so everyone who boards the train must clear immigration anyway. That would no longer be the case with an extention to in Amsterdam or (for instance) Germany. To make those connections feasible, I guess that the powers that be would have to get comfortable with checks on the train rather than on the station.
Lille to Brussels (and vice versa) is treated as a non-Schengen journey - although just whose controls you pass, I'm not sure. I seem to recall that it's one of the absurdities with Schengen, caused by the juxtaposition of UK and Schengen controls.

The UK authorities won't accept moving controls - I have a good friend in the UK Border Agency who informed me that because the whole point of juxtaposed controls (they can refuse people in French/Belgium and thus asylum seekers cannot claim asylum in the UK at passport control) - they won't conduct checks on the move.

However - surely there's not UKBA officers in places like Disneyland Paris and Avignon, both of which Eurostar serve?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #2515
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Uh hum, uh hum... THIS is the southernmost European border.

[img]http://i50.************/6t0lu0.png[/img]
I meant "geographical" Europe . Cyprus has also some de facto border crossings but geographically speaking it's not Europe, although politically and culturally it clearly is.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2516
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Lille to Brussels (and vice versa) is treated as a non-Schengen journey - although just whose controls you pass, I'm not sure. I seem to recall that it's one of the absurdities with Schengen, caused by the juxtaposition of UK and Schengen controls.
Are you allowed to start your journey in Lille and end in Brussels (or vice versa)? I thought Eurostar was only for cross-Channel journeys. You can't get on at St. Pancras and get off at Ebbsfleet, I assumed it was the same on the other side.
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2517
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scragend View Post
Are you allowed to start your journey in Lille and end in Brussels (or vice versa)? I thought Eurostar was only for cross-Channel journeys. You can't get on at St. Pancras and get off at Ebbsfleet, I assumed it was the same on the other side.
When arriving at Brussels you don't go through any border controls, as you have already passed them in St Pancras or Ebbsfleet so anyone on the train is already pre cleared for the Schengen area, so access to the eastbound platform in Lille is not restricted by passport control, however to reverse this journey you would pass UK immigration in Brussels before getting out in Lille. This journey might not be allowed just so Eurostar wasn't in direct competition with Thalys on that route.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #2518
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
This journey might not be allowed just so Eurostar wasn't in direct competition with Thalys on that route.
That's what I was getting at really - the prohibition on St. Pancras-Ebbsfleet journeys is so that passengers don't use Eurostar as a commuter train. I presume there is a similar restriction for Lille-Brussels, i.e. passengers are not allowed to board a Brussels-bound train in Lille.
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2519
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
from the point of view of Saint-Martin, but the thing is, now that Saint-Martin has seceded from Guadeloupe, its European status is a bit in a limbo (it's not quite clear if it's still part of the EU or not).
It's completely clear. Even Treaty of Lisbon clearly mention that Saint Martin and Saint Barthelemy (which both seceded from Guadeloupe) are part of European Union.

Also, it looks that French Guiana and Martinique will also stay under EU if they vote to change their status from DOM to COM in January. Will other COMs also get a chance to become part of the EU then?
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #2520
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
Will other COMs also get a chance to become part of the EU then?
They've been talking about it. New Caledonia and French Polynesia would enter the EU and adopt the euro. It's in the air...

Tags
highways, motorways