daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2541
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

It's up to what the people of those cities wish, and as they wish to maintain the status quo, that's the end of it really.

Also Cicerón, within the UK, England has no autonomy whatsoever . I think that the UK, in this case, should follow the Spanish model and England, Scotland, Wales, NI, all the overseas territories should be autonomous communities.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM   #2542
vatse

Likes (Received): 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
It's interesting how the only road into Gibraltar from Spain passes directly over the runway of the airport. Not even a tunnel or anything underneath it!
They are planning or even already building a tunnel under the runway. It would be at the eastern end of runway.
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #2543
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdepasillano View Post
It is nice to have a little piece of the United Kingdom in Spain
Except it's not a piece of the United Kingdom. Gibraltar is not part of the UK. None of the British overseas territories is part of the UK.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #2544
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
I am just wondering if Gibraltar has any will to adhere 100% to the Schengen agreement.
Why should it? Neither the UK nor Gibraltar are party to the Schengen agreement.

Last edited by Manchester Planner; January 2nd, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2545
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Except it's not a piece of the United Kingdom. Gibraltar is not part of the UK. None of the British overseas territories is part of the UK.
Pedant.

(I suspect Valdepasillano knows that btw.)

I would like to see the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar all become part of the UK, but I don't think it's going to happen. Gibraltar is probably the closest of those British territories in Western Europe as it's part of the EU (neither the Isle of Man nor the Channel Islands are) and now even votes as part of an English region in European Parliament elections.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2546
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
Why should it? Neither the UK nor Gibraltar are party to the Schengen agreement.
Actually UK, along with Ireland, takes part in some provisions of the Schengen agreement, regarding law enforcement and judicial cooperation.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #2547
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
Gibraltar is probably the closest of those British territories in Western Europe as it's part of the EU
Gibraltar is not part of the EU customs union and VAT area though. It's not part of the Common Agricultural Policy either.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2548
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

It doesn't have any agriculture though
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2549
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

if these ar not parts of UK, what are they part of than?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #2550
brisavoine
BANNED

You know, there are an awful lot of non-sovereign places on this planet that are not part of the UK, and that seems to work fine.

Let's say they are just part of themselves.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #2551
x-type
con los terroristas

omg you are worse than we and Slovenians

but really those overseas territories of UK - where do they belong?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM   #2552
brisavoine
BANNED

They belong to themselves (remember when Bermurda took in some Guantanamo prisoners without even notifying London?). The UK is responsible for their external security and external affairs, but that's about it. It's the same with Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is not part of the US. Same with the Cook Islands. The Cook Islands are not part of New Zealand (but they are part of the Realm of New Zealand, a case even more complicated, so I won't even go into that).
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2553
x-type
con los terroristas

i see now, i googled a bit about it. i thought that was all much more simple
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2554
brisavoine
BANNED

Basically there are no black and white situations the way people imagine (either you're part of a country or you're independent). The more you learn about the individual situations, the more you realize it's complex.

The way to think about it is a ruler that would go from fully integrated with the country to left of the ruler, to fully independent to the right of the ruler, with all shades of grey in between. On that ruler, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands would be the most to the right, just before "fully independent". The French metropolitan departments before 1982 would have been the most to the left, right on "fully integrated". Then in between you have all sorts of situations.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2555
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

British sovereign territory can be divided into three parts: the United Kingdom, the Crown Dependencies and the British Overseas Territories.

The United Kingdom is the sovereign state. It consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. It is a member state of the European Union.

The Crown Dependencies of the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands (which are technically two "Bailiwicks": Jersey and Guernsey) are really bizarre things, constitutionally speaking. They are not part of the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Dependencies

Then there are the 14 British Overseas Territories, which have varying degrees of autonomy and democratic institutions, based on the size of the population and so. Only one - Gibraltar - is part of the EU.. though, as pointed out, with opt-outs... but then the UK has its opt-outs too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...as_territories

The last territorial change was when Hong Kong was returned to China. The next one could either be the giving of one of the two Cypriot territories to the Republic of Cyprus (as part of plans to aid island reunification) or granting Bermuda independence, possibly as a Commonwealth realm.

A Commonwealth realm is one of the 16 realms which the monarchy is individually monarch of. The 16 sovereign states are in personal union with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_realm
Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2556
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

I forgot I had these pictures. These were taken at the PL - CZ crossing at Jakuszyce/Harrachov.

I've seen the speed sign for CZ before but I don't remember seeing one that looked like this. (Specifically the right most part of the sign with the 80 km/h limit for lorries)

I apologize about the quality of that second one but I was the driver, my cousin was the one who took the photos. (Yes that cousin, ChrisZ )

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:59 AM   #2557
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Manchester, according to what you sent, Crown Dependencies do indeed belong to the EU:

They are a part of the European Union throughout participation of the UK, governed by Article 299(6)(c) of the Treaty establishing the European Community:

this Treaty shall apply to the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man only to the extent necessary to ensure the implementation of the arrangements for those islands set out in the Treaty concerning the accession of new Member States to the European Economic Community and to the European Atomic Energy Community signed on 22 January 1972.;

and by Protocol 3 to the UK's Act of Accession to the Community:[7]

An Act to make provision in connection with the enlargement of the European Communities to include the United Kingdom, together with (for certain purposes) the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar. [17 October 1972]"
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2558
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
What's the traffic light for?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Look at the sign. You are entering Poland.

And what is Europe's biggest construction site? Right, Poland!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #2560
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Look at the sign. You are entering Poland.

And what is Europe's biggest construction site? Right, Poland!
Apparently, it's the other direction, sign with DIN font for 70 kph limit follows and there is the "limits" signs in background. There where some construction works on asphalt surface then. We build something too up there!

Tags
highways, motorways