daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #2641
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Italy has mandatory headlights during the day outside the town.

Anyway countries that has mandatory lights during the day except Scandinavia are:

Poland
Czech rep.
Slovakia
Hungary (outside town)
Romania
Serbia
Macedonia
Slovenia
Croatia (only during winter time, am I right?)
Italy

Probably Baltic states?

but the EU imposed that cars , produced from 2011, will have compulsory special lights that will turn on as soon as you start the engine.
As far as i know no mandatory lights in Serbia, but therefore in Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina. Croatia only in winter time, thats correct.

Here is more about the mentioned EU imposal on daylight running lamps (DRL):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #2642
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

In Serbia the lights during the day are mandatory from the 10th of December, when a new traffic law came into force.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #2643
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2654

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Ding ding ding! That's right Mike - The Chamizal Treaty signed by President Kennedy did away with an area of land known as "Cordova Island", which was a little piece of Mexico north of the river that stuck into El Paso. It was created by a change in flow of the Rio Grande in the late 1800s following a flood.

The US border station and the boundary marker in the photo were located on a piece of land which today is Mexican territory. A redistribution of the Cordova area was agreed upon and the Rio was channeled so it will stay put, once again serving as the international boundary.

The the map below shows the land that was exchanged as part of the Treaty. The red dot is the approximate location of the former Cordova border crossing. These buildings, along with all others in the exchanged land, were destroyed and park lands were created on both sides of the border.

Most people think of border disputes and land swaps (as far as the continental US is concerned) as being ancient history. But this one occured during my lifetime. What's next? The Northwest Angle? Point Roberts? California?

image hosted on flickr
Some modern land exchanges/disputes resolved:

Estonia

Estonia claims Pechora district of the Pskov region and the right bank of the river Narva to Ivangorod. May 18, 2005 the foreign ministers of Russia and Estonia Sergei Lavrov and Urmas Paet signed a border treaty and the maritime delimitation in the Narva and the Gulf of Finland, which recognized the passage of the state border between two states of the former administrative border between the RSFSR and Estonia "with minor adjustments to the conditions adequate territorial compensation. One of the main subjects of talks on the Russo-Estonian border is "Saatsesky boots. The plan was to transfer Estonia exchanged for other areas. Treaty was not ratified by Russia, because it made the Estonian side of amendments.
[Edit]
Latvia

Latvia claimed the territory of Pytalovo district of the Pskov region. 27 March 2007 Russia signed a border treaty with Latvia, the area remained part of Russia.
[Edit]
China

The demarcation of the Russo-Chinese border in 2005 took place during the presidency of Vladimir Putin. China has received a number of disputed territory with total area of 337 square kilometers: a plot of land in the vicinity of Big Island (upper reaches of the river Argun River in the Chita region) and two sites in the vicinity of the islands Tarabarov and Bolshoi Ussuri at the confluence of the rivers Amur and Ussuri.

Automatic translation from http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Государ...ии

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #2644
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Last but not least, some DOM are now not satisfied with their degree of autonomy and would like to become COM with more autonomy. A referendum is scheduled to take place in Martinique and French Guiana next month to decide whether they should become more autonomous COM. The local politicians are very eager to become COM, of course, because they would have more powers, but people on the ground are extremely wary of it, because they fear a COM status would push their territories on the side and eventually France would get rid of them and stop social transfers, so it's quite likely that people will vote against the COM status (in Martinique I'm almost certain of it, in French Guiana I'm less sure).
If anyone is interested, both regions voted against more autonomy (to change status to COM) by a large majority.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2645
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Yes I heard about that, it is itneresitng that they refused more autonomy.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2646
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Politicians in this area are very irresponsible with the money (look at Dutch or British islands) plus people have everything, so no need for autonomy.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2647
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

I made a video of the DK/S border on Øresundsbron in October '09
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #2648
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Romania-Serbia border crossing of the Iron Gates I Hydro Power Plant:

Last edited by nenea_hartia; January 11th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #2649
BillB

Likes (Received): 0

Speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Does the US even have state- or nationwide general speed limits??
Every state has its standard highway speed limit, but many roads have an exception to this rule.

A few years back, one state (Montana) decided to abolish its statewide speed limit. People began to call it Montanabahn. Much of it is very rural, so driving at high speed was not terribly risky, except for all the deer. It is still with some pride that I can brag that I was stopped for speeding in Montana when it had no speed limit. The police officer said "We do have a speed limit. It's called 'reasonable and prudent'". Apparently I was traveling faster than this.

They since have reimposed a speed limit. The US government thretened to withhold highway improvement funds if they didn't.

In keeping with the theme of this board, here is a border crossing between Scobey Montana and Coronanch Saskachewan, just a few miles from where I was stopped speeding.

image hosted on flickr
BillB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #2650
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

On the Polish thread on this site, there's a message saying that the Swiecko terminal has been demolished - is this true?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #2651
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

AFAIK the Ludwigsdorf border crossing (A4/A4) has been demolished. Some pics have been posted about that. It would be great if they also started dismantling the other ones
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #2652
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
On the Polish thread on this site, there's a message saying that the Swiecko terminal has been demolished - is this true?
If the street says so ... I'll search for some info.

This would mean that only Pomellen A11/A6 is left
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #2653
Danielk2
DanielKK

have they removed the DK18 terminal??
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2654
PLH

Sure, there is 2x2 over there now.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #2655
Danielk2
DanielKK

have they also removed that stupid 20km/h speed limit??
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #2656
PLH

Now it is 60.
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2657
Danielk2
DanielKK

one last annoying question: Have they fixed the Hitler pavement on the eastbound side??
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #2658
PLH

No, starting end of this year.
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #2659
Danielk2
DanielKK

The pavement is really horrible. I cant believe that they can spend so much money on all other roads in Poland, and not even thinking of repairing that 70-year old pavement
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #2660
PLH

Well, were it that simple... They cannot just fix it, but rebuild, which involves loads of bureaucracy. It has nothing to do with money.

Tags
highways, motorways