daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #2661
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

They also had some special EU funding to repave the A4 (west of Wroclaw), right? Since they only got money to repave it, not rebuild it, it's also one of the reasons why it hasn't got shoulders yet, isn't it? If so, why can't they get this for the A18?

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2662
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
Politicians in this area are very irresponsible with the money (look at Dutch or British islands) plus people have everything, so no need for autonomy.
Well, the situation there is in fact far from perfect. Unemployment is high, revenus are lower than the European average, and living costs are very high (products cost more than in Paris and London). Some serious reforms are needed. The local politicians have been unable to develop these territories, their economic policies are ineffective, and Paris is too far for the central government to feel really concerned, that's another issue. The local politicians said more autonomy would help them design the right policies for these territories, even though in fact the current political status of full integration with France already enables the local politicians to craft some local policies for the local problems of these territories. In reality these autonomy referendums were just a sham. For some pro-independence politicians it was just a way to push for independence in a covert way (they know the vast majority of the population is opposed to independence, so they thought autonomy would be a clever first step towards independence without making the people too scared). For other politicians it was just a way to hide their incompetence. As if a new, more autonomous status was going to solve everything! The reality is, whatever the status, it's the bad ineffective politicians there who are the problem.

I think the citizens in these territories saw it through, they rightly understood that autonomy would be perceived abroad as, like it or not, distancing themselves from France, which is not what they want, and they also understood that the problem is the local politicians and their ineffective policies, not the status of the territories. It's like the EU, you can change the EU treaties as often as you want (Amsterdam, Nice, Lisbon), if the politicians are bad at managing the economy, the economic situation will be bad, whatever the constitutional status of the EU.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #2663
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
They also had some special EU funding to repave the A4 (west of Wroclaw), right? Since they only got money to repave it, not rebuild it, it's also one of the reasons why it hasn't got shoulders yet, isn't it? If so, why can't they get this for the A18?
You're right, but they decided not to do so in order not to start the whole procedure twice.
It's hard to say whether it is is good or bad, what's for sure is that they should have covered it with asphalt more than 10 years ago, but noone cared at that time...
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2664
Tego
·!¦[· (17:50) ·]¦!

Likes (Received): 9464

Bulgaria and Greece will launch new border crossing point

Kulata border crossing point

Bulgarian Deputy Foreign Minister Marin Raikov and his Greek counterpart Dimitris Droutsas signed an agreement in Athens on January 11 2010 paving the way for the opening of the Zlatograd-Termes border crossing point between the two neighbouring countries, the Bulgarian news agency (BTA) reported.

The new checkpoint will be inaugurated officially by Bulgaria's Prime Minister Boiko Borissov and his Greek counterpart, George Papandreou, on January 15 2010.

The decision follows people's desire on both sides of the border for faster and easier communication, Droutsas was quoted as saying by BTA.

According to Raikov, the initiative for the new border checkpoint had been in the pipeline for many years, hence it was only a matter of time before both countries finally agreed to proceed.

"Considering the number of Greeks who ski in Pamporovo, and the number of Bulgarians shopping in Athens, this will only stimulate further economic and tourist development in the region," Raikov was quoted as saying.

Source: http://sofiaecho.com/2010/01/12/8408...crossing-point
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2665
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Very nice!Just 3 border crossing points between Greece and Bulgaria on such a long border were really very few.

Last edited by PLH; January 15th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2666
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

what is with route Rudozem - Xanthi? there would be nice to ahve border crossing ( ithink that one is also under construction, am i right?)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #2667
philimonas

Likes (Received): 0

This is about Rudozem - Xanthi. So I believe it is not due very soon!

There is also another future border crossing (see here), north of Komotini and south of Kirkovo.

I have also read about yet another border crossing, here (Kyprinos - Ivaylovgrad). As you can see, there is already a road there, on both sides.
I have found this article (Greek only), which says that the border was opened for one day on February 14th, 2009, for a celebration of St. Triphon in Bulgaria! However, I do not know if/when a border crossing will permanently open there.
philimonas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #2668
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

What border crossings with checks are actually better outside the peak days, major border crossings with bigger facilities, or minor border crossings with less traffic, but also less facilities? For instance, if you want to go from Hungary to Serbia or Romania, is it better to use the major border crossings, or a secondary one?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #2669
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What border crossings with checks are actually better outside the peak days, major border crossings with bigger facilities, or minor border crossings with less traffic, but also less facilities? For instance, if you want to go from Hungary to Serbia or Romania, is it better to use the major border crossings, or a secondary one?
my experience - major border crossings. i have told it allready, the worst thing i had to show at large border crossing was to open my truck. sometimes they don't even ask me to stop or to show documents.
on the other hand, i don't remember when i have passed less important border crossing without detailed check of documents, opening truck, asking where was i going, even detailed checks of whole car.
exeption was border crossing with Serbia (Ilok - Bačka Palanka), i have passed it only with documents' control (and Serbian officer asked me where was i going because if i went only to Bačka Palanka, they wouldn't ask me for international insurance, otherwise they asked me for it)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #2670
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
From my expirience, major border crossings. Horgos - Kelebia situation: Horgos - major border crossing, renewed few years ago, 10+ lanes.... In most cases only document check and "open the trunk" demand.

On Kelebia, last year, I was traveling by mini-van, with 5 of my friends. Looking at reaction of customs officers, we were first vehicle in hours. After document check they asked as to park the van in some garage. Then we had detailed check of every piece of baggage and whole mini-van. In total 55 minutes on border.

Comparing with Horgos - max 15 min.
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2671
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

It depends, I think. For instance, last summer I decided to try another border crossing between Romania and Hungary. Not the large one of Borş-Ártánd (on E60) but the tiny border crossing of Urziceni-Vállaj. Our car was the only car there. As you probably know, in every border crossing between Romania and Hungary there is only one checkpoint, a common one. The Hungarian officers didn't even bother to leave the custom's office and the Romanian officer asked us where are we going. When we said "we're going to Nordkapp, Norway" he was pretty impressed but he still asked us very polite to open the caravan's door. But I think it was a personal curiosity because he stood outside and he looked inside through the open doors. And then thanked us and wished us good luck.
Everything took about 3 minutes. Probably at Borş-Ártánd the border control could have been much faster but because it is a busy border crossing I'm sure we have been forced to wait behind at least 8-10 cars if no more.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2672
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

I had exactly the same experience
I was going by car with 3 of my friends and we entered Romania at Vállaj/Urziceni. It was about 8 in the morning and mine was the only car around. Only a Romanian officer appeared, and after checking the passports he asked me to open the trunk. He couldn't see much as it was packed full, so he asked "Only clothes?" when I answered yes, what was more or less true apart from a few bottles of booze. He then asked where we were going. The officer was very friendly, spoke Hungarian fluently, told me where to buy road toll sticker and even wished us fun for the New Year's Eve
On the way back I took the big Borş-Ártánd crossing. There were 2 lanes for EU passports and one for all passports. The all passports lane was much shorter so I took it, there was about 5 minutes waiting time. A Romanian officer and a Hungarian police woman stood next to each other and checked the passports together, then let us go.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #2673
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
[...]The Hungarian officers didn't even bother to leave the custom's office and the Romanian officer asked us where are we going.[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Only a Romanian officer appeared[...]
Romanian officers are so hard-working...
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #2674
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

My experience is that going to Serbia form Hungary is ebtter the motorway border crossing Rozke-Horgos, usually the hungarians are very fast, the same for the serb officers. On the contrary, when you want to sue this border crossing to enter hugnary, then you can wait for at least 20 minutes, hungarians custom officers check every car and you uusally open the trunk.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2675
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

I remember crossing at a small border post between Hungary and Slovakia in pre-Schengen times. As we were leaving the last town before the border we were pulled over by Hungarian border police. They checked passports, looked in the trunk, and then let us go. Took less than 5min. At the border crossing - we were the only car - the Slovak officer just stamped our passports and waved us through.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #2676
mirza-sm
Lilium Bosniacum

Likes (Received): 8037

Bosnia & Herzegovina border crossings

Our border crossing mostly have the same look, here goes

Granični Prijelaz Izačić | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia

Granični Prijelaz Bosanski Šamac | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia

Granični Prijelaz Neum | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia (our only coastal city)

Granični Prijelaz Maljevac | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia

Granični Prijelaz Kamensko | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Croatia

Granični Prijelaz Karakaj | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Serbia

Granični Prijelaz Rača | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Serbia

Granični Prijelaz Zvornik | Bosnia & Herzegovina - Serbia

Old January 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #2677
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Quote:
Originally Posted by philimonas View Post
Greek border with FYROM at Niki(GR)-Medzitlija(FYROM)
The current Greek border building (facing Greece):

The new Greek border building (facing FYROM):

In the meantime it is possible that the new building is operational, I was there this summer.
Thanks, i was looking for some photos of the new building.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2678
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Probably the most epic motorway border crossing in Europe; Walserberg near Salzburg. Austria to Germany.
[IMG]http://i45.************/20544sm.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #2679
Morsue

Especially at winter. Wow!
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2680
Timon91
Error

When I was there last summer it was raining