daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #2721
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Danish general Motorvej speed limit is now 130 km/h, although many 110 km/h sections still exist.
AFAIK more than ˝ of the danish motorways have limits of 110 or lower.

I found a map that shows the speed limits:

Yellow: 130 (80mph)
Blue: 110 (70mph) or lower

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM   #2722
Newropean
Ganesh

Location: Praha Ravensburg Genčve Padova Istanbul Maastricht Bruxelles Mechelen
Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatse View Post
In Germany there are signs like this at every autobahn crossing the watersheds of Mediterranean and Northern Sea. If there are street views of German autobahns in Google you can find all these signs.
Erm, there is no river in Germany running to the Mediterranean Sea. The watershed signs in Germany show the shed between the North Sea (Rhine River) and the Black Sea (Danube).
Newropean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2723
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Danielk2, today I read that the danish police and custom will check foreign plates for tax infringements. I don't understand well towards whom it regrds, but I guess they will look for Danes who have a car registered abroad?
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

That would make sense because the Danish car purchase tax is a ridiculous 80%. Add VAT to that (25%) and the "value" of a car doubles, most of it being fried air (a.k.a. tax).

High car taxes are a serious problem to the household budget, write-offs are an underestimated cost, and the higher the taxes, the higher the write-off is as well. The value of a car usually halves within 3 - 4 years, so if you buy an € 50.000,- car, it costs you € 6.250,- in write-off per year alone. That can be 2 monthly wages. Without such taxes, the write-off would be like half of that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM   #2725
eucitizen

I also heard that Nl are planning to toll the roads and lifting all the extra taxes you have on the cars.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2726
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Yeah sort of. Tolling every km driven generates even more money than fixed taxes, especially since km rates can go through the roof.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2727
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

They've promised that it will be cheaper for the first years though. Knowing our government, it will last 1 month before the km rate will skyrocket
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2728
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
That would make sense because the Danish car purchase tax is a ridiculous 80%. Add VAT to that (25%) and the "value" of a car doubles, most of it being fried air (a.k.a. tax).

High car taxes are a serious problem to the household budget, write-offs are an underestimated cost, and the higher the taxes, the higher the write-off is as well. The value of a car usually halves within 3 - 4 years, so if you buy an € 50.000,- car, it costs you € 6.250,- in write-off per year alone. That can be 2 monthly wages. Without such taxes, the write-off would be like half of that.
The cheapest car you can buy in Denmark right now is a Suzuki Alto, (I think) it costs just under DKK 100.000 - € 13.300
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #2729
eucitizen

Quote:
Yeah sort of. Tolling every km driven generates even more money than fixed taxes, especially since km rates can go through the roof.
When should this system start? I guess it will regard also foreign cars so it will be interesting how it will work.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2730
vatse

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newropean View Post
Erm, there is no river in Germany running to the Mediterranean Sea. The watershed signs in Germany show the shed between the North Sea (Rhine River) and the Black Sea (Danube).
Yeah, my mistake. I meant Danube's bassin
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #2731
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Trčs bien. But my memory tells me there is also a graphic illustration to this sign. Maybe it's in the other direction?
I've found it.

[img]http://i45.************/1214tmu.jpg[/img]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Where exactly is this picture?
The continental divide on the A36 is in between the municipalities of Eteimbes and Angeot. Note that the continental divide here almost coincides with the limit between the Romance and Germanic languages. The limit between the two language groups runs between the Romance-speaking village of Bretten and the Germanic-speaking village of Soppe-le-Bas.

Bretten, the last Romance-speaking village:
[img]http://i45.************/4lm886.jpg[/img]

Soppe-le-Bas, the first Germanic-speaking village:
[img]http://i48.************/10zy8vo.jpg[/img]

Last edited by brisavoine; January 22nd, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM   #2732
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
today I read that the danish police and custom will check foreign plates for tax infringements.
Such checks are common in Ireland, which also has a tax, but only 25% rather then the Danish figure.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #2733
rodrigo406

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
I've found it.

[img]http://i45.************/1214tmu.jpg[/img]

The continental divide on the A36 is in between the municipalities of Eteimbes and Angeot. Note that the continental divide here almost coincides with the limit between the Romance and Germanic languages. The limit between the two language groups runs between the Romance-speaking village of Bretten and the Germanic-speaking village of Soppe-le-Bas.
this picture was photographed near Mulhouse, Basel?

Last edited by rodrigo406; January 27th, 2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: nombre mal escrito
rodrigo406 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #2734
BillB

Likes (Received): 0

Dramatic Death of a Border Crossing

Many of you have probably been to Niagara Falls. But did you know that 72 years ago today, one of the bridges connecting New York State with Ontario Canada collapsed? It was an incredibly cold winter that caused ice to build up at the base of the falls, where it turned into a virtual glacier that crept up to the footings of the Honeymoon Bridge and undermined it. There was plenty of warning that the bridge was in trouble, and it was closed for days before the dramatic end occurred. Nobody was hurt, but it marked the end for what was one of America's busiest border crossings at that time. Work began on a new bridge a few hundred yards downstream, and new border inspection facilities were built at the Rainbow Bridge, which opened in 1941.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
BillB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #2735
FazilLanka

Likes (Received): 14

Wow!!!!! It was a luck day I guess???
FazilLanka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #2736
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

friendly relationship between the italiani and the Österrreicher on the border in south Tirol (Brenner)...

Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2737
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

This is a well known problem of this German-speaking region and I think those "reactions" are also quite logical from austrian part when you look to the history..
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #2738
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

I know the history of this region. I also were in Bolzen in december last year and spoke to a german speaking person about the situation. And believe me, such attitude is not representative to the most of the german citizens of south Tirol. It's much more an effect of right wing pro-austrian political actions.
What's interesting, according to the person I spoke to, the german speaking people don't consider themselves as "austrians", but more like as "germans" or even "german speaking italians".
Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2739
TommyLopez

Likes (Received): 41

Totally agree! And about their nationality, before WW2 all Austrians considered themselfs as Germans (this region was annexed by Italy in 1919 so it was very long time before and they didn´t accepted austrian nationality after the WW2 as Germans in Austria). I think they are definitely closer to the Austrians than Germans. Interesting situation..
TommyLopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #2740
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Strange that the Italians don't bother about that sign. For example Romania would never allow a "Transylvania is not Romania" sign on the Hungarian border...
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways