daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #2741
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

BTW, there aren't many examples of such things happening between two EU-countrie, are there?
One more photo:
Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #2742
Christophorus

Likes (Received): 87

The restaurant table is very funny, for the non-german understanding readers, it means something like pizza and pasta 24/7

Back to topic and Dantiscums question, no i guess there are not many examples like this, but others which are much more positive. I.e. crossing the Oder bridge in Frankfurt (Oder) a very large billboard welcomes one in Poland with the message "Sie haben die Preisgrenze überschritten" which means you just crossed the price border. (When i was there a few days ago, unfortunately i forgot my camera )

I remember signs while the division of Germany, when approaching the GDR border from the west, which gave messages like: never forget, you are in the middle of Germany and similar.
Christophorus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2743
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophorus View Post

The restaurant table is very funny, for the non-german understanding readers, it means something like pizza and pasta 24/7
It was probably put there in retaliation, by a pro-Italian .

Quote:
Strange that the Italians don't bother about that sign. For example Romania would never allow a "Transylvania is not Romania" sign on the Hungarian border...
Well, the sign is on the Austrian side of the border, after all. And honestly I don't think the angry parties can do much about it except complain. I also think that such signs should be allowed, as a consequence of the freedom of expression that's assumed to exist in the EU.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2744
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53462

Santa Fe Bridge, El Paso/ CD Juarez:

http://tti.tamu.edu/publications/res..._bridge_lg.jpg
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2745
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Santa Fe Bridge, El Paso/ CD Juarez:

http://tti.tamu.edu/publications/res..._bridge_lg.jpg
Isn't Mexico's population going down? Because in all the photos from Mexico/US border crossings there are hundreds of cars waiting to pass into the US.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #2746

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Strange that the Italians don't bother about that sign. For example Romania would never allow a "Transylvania is not Romania" sign on the Hungarian border...
Relations between austrians and italians are way better than between hungarians and romanians...
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #2747
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

More of this border:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What does "Diese Tafeln wurden mit Spenden aus Österreich finanziert" mean?
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #2748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

These signs are financed by funding from Austria.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #2749
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantiscum View Post
I know the history of this region. I also were in Bolzen in december last year and spoke to a german speaking person about the situation. And believe me, such attitude is not representative to the most of the german citizens of south Tirol. It's much more an effect of right wing pro-austrian political actions.
What's interesting, according to the person I spoke to, the german speaking people don't consider themselves as "austrians", but more like as "germans" or even "german speaking italians".
Indeed! Someone who speaks proper about this!

Those are a bunch of right-wing parties, idiots as much as those right-wing pro-Italy parties denying the identity of the german-speaking population of the country.

The point is they're so few, you just see them across election times.
Quote:
The strong economic and political relationships between Italy and Austria are much important, than a little group of idiots.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #2750
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i would really never expect something like that from Austria!
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2751
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

This sign doesn't necessarily mean it's endorsed by the Austrian government. Maybe NGO's.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2752
x-type
con los terroristas

ok, i expressed myself wrong - i would never expect something like that in Austria!
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #2753
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

The hole case is becoming even more interesting. The land of Tirol has decided to forbide this sign and not to allow to put it at the border once more because they noticed, that Südtirol in fact is currently Italy (if someone likes it or not), so the text on the sign is false. Plus it could not be considered as a "welcome sign", so there's no place for it at the border
Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #2754
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
The hole case is becoming even more interesting. The land of Tirol has decided to forbide this sign and not to allow to put it at the border once more...
That's a good idea. The sign makes Austrians look like idiots. And as was said above, it's only a small fringe group who think that way.

Quote:
... because they noticed, that Südtirol in fact is currently Italy (if someone likes it or not), so the text on the sign is false.
I'm sure everyone in Austria was already aware of that, only a few nutjobs are unhappy about it.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2755
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Things have changed a lot lately in Romania. I can agree, the Romanian government and some newspapers and televisions wouldn't be very happy with such a sign on the Hungarian side of the border but I don't think the ordinary people would care very much. Me, for example, I wouldn't. I traveled many times in Hungary and for me is an admirable country with great and kind people. Every time I felt like home there.
Sometimes history can be very generous with some and very unfair with others, but I think time and the EU integration will heal the wounds of the past between RO and HU, as they've already healed the wounds between other member states. And such signs will remain something we will joke about.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #2756
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Things have changed a lot lately in Romania. I can agree, the Romanian government and some newspapers and televisions wouldn't be very happy with such a sign on the Hungarian side of the border but I don't think the ordinary people would care very much. Me, for example, I wouldn't. I traveled many times in Hungary and for me is an admirable country with great and kind people. Every time I felt like home there.
Sometimes history can be very generous with some and very unfair with others, but I think time and the EU integration will heal the wounds of the past between RO and HU, as they've already healed the wounds between other member states. And such signs will remain something we will joke about.
I agree with you, grat reply!
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #2757
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
BTW, there aren't many examples of such things happening between two EU-countrie, are there?
Oh, there are other examples in Europe actually. The worst example is unfortunately set in the vicinity of nothing less than the EU capital, Brussels!

Here on the border between the 90% French-speaking Brussels Capital Region and the Dutch-speaking Flemish Region (municipality of Dilbeek). The sign in Dutch warns the Bruxellois crosing the border: "Dilbeek, where the Flemings are at HOME..." Note that it is estimated some 30% to 40% of the population (and tax payers) in Dilbeek are actually Francophones. Also note that this sign was not placed there by some extremist movements but quite officially by the Flemish municipality of Dilbeek itself, with the tax money of their residents. Only 6.5 km from the European Parliament as the crow flies.

[img]http://i50.************/bg9vnm.jpg[/Img]

How do we expect people in the Balkans and Eastern Europe to behave properly after setting such bad examples in the heart of the EU?

Oh, and I also remember the infamous ad published by the Catalonia region in the French newspaper Le Monde back in 1992 at the time of the Barcelona Olympic Games. The ad (in French) said: "Where is Barcelona? In Catalonia of course!" And there was a map showing Catalonia in Europe, with no reference to Spain whatsoever. The next day, the Spanish embassy in Paris ran an ad in Le Monde which said: "Where is Catalonia? In Spain of course!", with a map of Catalonia inside Spain.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2758
x-type
con los terroristas

actually, i haven't seen such signs here. we are more creative. for instance, writing on the houses
(translation: Slovenia is here, too!)

Old February 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2759
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
I wanted to point out that even the idea of such a sign would never arise on our borders (or any of our neighbours), and now a Western, old memeber country is the bad example.

Anyway it was a very unfriendly move from Austria when after the Hungarian entry to Schengen agreement they put "no entry" signs for cars on small roads where there weren't any checkpoints before. The situation hasn't changed much since.

BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #2760
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Some of slovak signs.

Already, maximum speed in cities is 50 km/h.

motorway D4 A-SR

motorway D2 M-SR

Between Slovakia and Hungary (Štúrovo-Esztergom)

image hosted on flickr

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways