daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #2761
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohrAlkimista View Post
Indeed! Someone who speaks proper about this!

Those are a bunch of right-wing parties, idiots as much as those right-wing pro-Italy parties denying the identity of the german-speaking population of the country.
I do agree. And, as I was told recently by a Tiroler friend, their problem is that the number of idiots in the bunch is getting lower, while the quantity of noise they produce is rising.

So, while most of the people would just like to enjoy living in a multicultural region, they have to be afraid about the poor and stupid image they risk to give to the rest of the world, thanks to small groups of people who should get a life.

Btw, I was at Brenner in July, and the crappy sign was gone. I'm sure most of Tirolers, Austrians, Italians and anyone else just found it plainly stupid.

The frame is still there: I have an idea about how to use it.
As I see the Italian social, cultural and political situation collapse, I think "HELP" could be a smart message to send from us to the rest of Europe
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #2762
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

This is a somewhat unknown border crossing between Spain and France. It's from Tapis (Spain) to Coustouges (France) on the GI-503 route. (about 30 kms inland from the AP7-A9 border crossing).
France has no "welcome to France" sign but a sign welcoming you to "Catalonia north"...
(By the way, the border has no signs of the typical abandoned customs booths, so I guess the road was built -or paved- after schengen)

MrAkumana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2763
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

Likes (Received): 0

A few pictures of the Costa Rican-Nicaraguan border post at Peńas Blancas I managed to find via Google.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1633664
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6045663
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/30707593
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/29487646
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/24503812

From what I'm told, getting in and out of Costa Rica's land border is rather easy, but it's getting in and out of Nicaragua that apparently requires some formalities. When entering, people may offer themselves as runners, for providing you the immigration form, plus a fee to enter the country has to be paid. You may spend sometimes hours just to cross the landborder even by car.

As to the landborder between Costa Rica and Panama, I don't recall any mention of any excessive formalities like Nicaragua demands it. I used to cross through that border on a Ticabus coach once, but that was in 1987, when I was barely three years old (all I remember is that I was in Panama a couple of times, and I remember my father getting mugged with a knife once) and during the Noriega dictatorship.
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #2764
el_norte
global nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie D. View Post
From what I'm told, getting in and out of Costa Rica's land border is rather easy, but it's getting in and out of Nicaragua that apparently requires some formalities.
Nah! It's the other way around, in my experience. Nicaragua is super easy to get in/out of, only formality is the payment of a $7 head tax coming or going (hey, at least they give you a reciept). Costa Rica is the tough one - generally five million people coming and going at any given moment, and never more than two or three people staffing immigration, compared with 8-10 on the Nicaraguan side. Queues take hours! And no AC inside the terminal!
Among the basic freedoms to which men aspire that their lives might be full and uncramped, freedom from fear stands out as both a means and an end. A people who would build a nation in which strong, democratic institutions are firmly established as a guarantee against state-induced power must first learn to liberate their own minds from apathy and fear.
el_norte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #2765
Richie D.
Der Sklave der Republik

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_norte View Post
Nah! It's the other way around, in my experience. Nicaragua is super easy to get in/out of, only formality is the payment of a $7 head tax coming or going (hey, at least they give you a reciept). Costa Rica is the tough one - generally five million people coming and going at any given moment, and never more than two or three people staffing immigration, compared with 8-10 on the Nicaraguan side. Queues take hours! And no AC inside the terminal!
To me, it sounded more complicated because of the bureaucracy that involves crossing the landborder into Nicaragua in the first place. In any case, I can't imagine the hell it must be to cross the border. Going into Panama must be much easier.

Speaking of which, there was a report on local television on things that you may see once crossing the Costa Rican-Panamaian border. When getting into Panama, and head towards Panama City, you'll find a motorway near the border that is supposed to be in near pristine order. However, when you cross into Costa Rica, you'll find yourself with potholes everywhere and facilities that can be considered less than insufficient. I remember seeing a picture of a truck crossing a Costa Rican-Panamaian border bridge near Bocas del Toro. The bridge has only wodden boards on the sides, a railroad track in the middle (track gauge should be standard Costa Rican 1067 mm gauge), and the whole bridge itself looks pretty dangerous. On top of it, there's a semi trying to cross it.

People in Costa Rica are pretty touchy about bridges in general, especially since they're in constant disrepair and may even collapse like in a recent event, but that's for another thread. Fact is, with all the bridge problems in the last year, I'm surprised that people haven't complained about the shockingly bad condition of that border bridge.

EDIT: Here's a picture of that border bridge. It crosses the Sixaola river.

http://www.carrieandjonathan.com/ima...a-dscn8975.jpg
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #2766
BillB

Busy Mexico Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Isn't Mexico's population going down? Because in all the photos from Mexico/US border crossings there are hundreds of cars waiting to pass into the US.
You would think, but they just keep coming. You should look at this picture any time you start thinking the economy is bad. Apparently the Mexicans think it's great!
BillB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #2767
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Another border crossing between Romania and Bulgaria, at Vama Veche / Durankulak:

nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2768
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12647

This is a border crossing between Czech Republic and Poland

Road to border crossing

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2769
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

article about Schengen in Slovak, and photos from this small village

Schengen is a small wine-making village and commune in far south-eastern Luxembourg, near the point where the borders of Germany, France, and Luxembourg meet. Other villages within the commune include Remerschen and Wintrange. As of 2005, the village has a population of 1527 with an area of 10.63 km˛ (4.1 sq mi).
The village became famous on 14 June 1985, when the Schengen Agreement was signed. To use this name recognition, the council of the commune of Remerschen decided on 18 January 2006 to rename the commune to Schengen. The Chamber of Deputies voted on 13 July 2006 a law [1] allowing the change of name, which was published on 30 August 2006. The law took effect three days later, and the name of the commune of Remerschen was changed to Schengen as of 3 September 2006.

there Schengen Agreement was signed

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #2770
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Hungary - Austria

Source: Google Earth

Last edited by zsimi80; February 14th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2771
Vallex

Where exactly is that?
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #2772
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #2773
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallex View Post
Where exactly is that?
i've updated my previous post, watch it

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #2774
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

USA Mexico:

Tijuana:

El Paso/CD Juarez:

Laredo TX:

image hosted on flickr

Nogales AZ:

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2775
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

How many vehicles cross the US/Mexican border at Tijuana and CD Juarez crossings every day?
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2776
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Caltrans lists 80,000 AADT on I-5 between Camino de la Plaza and the Mexican border.

TX DOT lists 25,000 AADT on US 54 between US 62 and the Mexican border.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #2777
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie D. View Post
A few pictures of the Costa Rican-Nicaraguan border post at Peńas Blancas I managed to find via Google.

From what I'm told, getting in and out of Costa Rica's land border is rather easy, but it's getting in and out of Nicaragua that apparently requires some formalities. When entering, people may offer themselves as runners, for providing you the immigration form, plus a fee to enter the country has to be paid. You may spend sometimes hours just to cross the landborder even by car.
Well before exiting Nicaragua and entering Costa Rica everyone is subjected to a "line" where one stands with his belongings and presses a button. If the light is green you are waived off and can proceed further. If the light turns red you are taken away for a more detailed personal inspection where they inspect everything (luggage, clothing on you etc). Red/green lights are completely random.

Also in both countries you are very likely to be stopped on the road by military patrols (I was stopped in Nicaragua once and twice in Costa Rica) where everything is inspected (looking for drugs).

Costa Ricans are paranoid about drugs being imported to their country. Drug laws in Costa Rica are much stricter on average when compared with neighboring countries. Also Costa Rica is a big migrant worker destination coming primarily from Nicaragua.
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #2778
jczart

Likes (Received): 3

Here are some photos I've taken of Intl border crossings...

Hungary at Slovakia (Satoraljaujhely)
image hosted on flickr

Slovakia at Ukraine (near Uzhorod) - sorry for lighting
image hosted on flickr

Hungary at Slovakia (Esztergom)
image hosted on flickr
jczart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2779
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

How wide are the lanes on that bridge??
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2780
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
How wide are the lanes on that bridge??
Overall width of the roadway is 5.72 m so for one direction there's a bit less than 2.86 m.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways