daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2821
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A good way to see whether they ask a lot of questions or not

I used the Eurostar last summer. On my way to London they checked my bags for drugs. No surprise, considering the fact that I'm from the Netherlands.

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #2822
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
OMG! I plan to use the Eurostar this summer for my trip in the UK...
You can go just with your ID card but I don't recommend you to do so. They started scratching my photo on the ID card with their nails to see if it is the original one, and I asked the border police officer if the passport is better and he answered 'YES ', but he checked that photo too. My advice: go a little earlier with everything prepaired for the check.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #2823
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

They violated your rights as the police cant bother with such questions and asking your return ticket. Normally you could denounce them and sue them! You should complain to the EU commission, really! Pity you don't have their names !
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2824
bogdymol
bogdymod

This happened in 2008 and, to be honest, I understand them. They are sick of so many romanian gypsies that are living in UK without legal forms, they don't have a job and they do only bad things.

I am only worried that most of the european citizens associate romanians with romanian gypsies.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM   #2825
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yeah, Romanians have a bad name in the Netherlands as well due to skimming activities.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM   #2826
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, Romanians have a bad name in the Netherlands as well due to skimming activities.
The problem is that many don't see the diferences between romanians and gypsyes. They are about 5% of the population but they do 90% of the criminal ofences. Another fact is that in Romania they say ('please read SCREAM') that they are discriminated fir beeing gypsyes, but when they go the the rest of the EU they say that they are romanian citizens and not romanian gypsyes.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM   #2827
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Indeed, but they are Romanian citizens with Romanian passports and they have the same rights and obligations, so let's stop complaining.
Romanian gypsies or just Romanians, we are all equal in front of the law.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM   #2828
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yes nenea_hartia, we are all equal in front of the law, but I want western european to treat romanians as they deserve and to see the diferences between romanians and gypsyes.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:28 PM   #2829
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Yes nenea_hartia, we are all equal in front of the law, but I want western european to treat romanians as they deserve and to see the diferences between romanians and gypsyes.
They are treating us all as Romanian citizens, and that's exactly as it should be. In Romania, for example, nobody cares if someone is from Burgundy, is a Breton or a German from Alsace. They are all French citizens. What I am saying is that the police or the public in every country should act or react using one single criteria: if a person is honest or not, and not if a person (Romanian in this particular case) is a Gypsy or not.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2830
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think you don't get my point. I agree that the police/public authority should treat us the same, but I don't agree that if you go to Italy for example and you say you are from Romania the people (PEOPLE, not public authority) will look strange at you because they heard at the TV that romanians (especially gypsies) do bad things.

Last offtopic post for me.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM   #2831
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
I think you don't get my point. I agree that the police/public authority should treat us the same, but I don't agree that if you go to Italy for example and you say you are from Romania the people (PEOPLE, not public authority) will look strange at you because they heard at the TV that romanians (especially gypsies) do bad things.

Last offtopic post for me.
OK, for me too...
Sorry guys.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2832
Markowice10

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
The problem is that many don't see the diferences between romanians and gypsyes. :
The majority associates Romania from Dracula
Markowice10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:40 PM   #2833
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowice10 View Post
The majority associates Romania from Dracula
Very good one!
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #2834
eucitizen

As for me romanians are always welcome in Italy. And by the way many easteners considers the osuthners, italians, greeks, spainiards, as gypsies
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:48 PM   #2835
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

^ Thank you for the kind words.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM   #2836
bogdymol
bogdymod

Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM   #2837
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
The main reason the UK won't join Schengen is because of all the illegal immigrants trying to get into the UK via France. There are massive camps in France where they are all illegally camped out and then try to get across every night.

I'm certain that if this was resolved the UK would join.
What a laughable justification! There are far more immigrants (legal or illegal) entering the UK every year via the British airports than all the immigrants waiting on the coastline of northern France. The Labour government, with their open policies, have allowed far more immigrants in the UK than there will ever been around Calais. The immigrants around Calais are just a drop in the ocean.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2838
eucitizen

UK should make a compromsie with Schengen: she can keep the border controls but should accept the common visa policy and recognising the EU documents issued to people of 3rd countries, while the Schengen should recognise the Uk and Ireland documents issued for immigrants of 3rd countries.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2839
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

They are not interested in a compromise. Their refusal of Schengen is purely ideological, just like their refusal of the euro. It's the isolationist islander mentality that is displayed everyday in the Sun or the Daily Mail. Even their serious newspapers display that mentality (you only have to read the Daily Telegraph).
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2840
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

We can do what we want in our own country, and if we don't want to join Schengen why should we? Let us join it in our own time.

Isolationist islander mentality? Pff, what a load of rubbish. The three newspapers you mentioned are all centre-right and are generally all anti-european.

I'm pro-european integration and would like us to adopt the euro, but you can't force it on us. There's a very good reason why the UK hasn't joined the Euro yet. Look up Black Wednesday.

Last edited by havaska; March 2nd, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways