daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #2881
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

no I was thinking in general about EU flags in Uk, not at borders. Rare sight but still possible.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #2882
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Anything other than Europe in here??
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #2883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Post some Australian border crossings
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #2884
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Here is my small addition to Germany - France border crossing I took these pictures on Saturday (27 February) while driving on A6 on my trip from Mannheim to Paris. I drove in Europe again after a very long time.

German sign informing that France is 1200 m ahead

Last petrol station before the border. German A6 sign only has French city of Metz on it

Approaching the border station

There is no control at the border for passenger cars, so cars drive through without stopping

We are in France
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2885
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Last petrol station before the border. German A6 sign only has French city of Metz on it
That's Goldene Bremm right? It's even past the last exit in Germany I believe, or at least past the A620 interchange (Dreieck Saarbrücken).
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #2886
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's Goldene Bremm right? It's even past the last exit in Germany I believe, or at least past the A620 interchange (Dreieck Saarbrücken).
Yes, it is Goldene Bremm. It was indeed past the last exit on A6.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2887
bogdymol
bogdymod

Nice pictures Alex Von Königsberg.

Why is one lane blocked at the border and which is the speed limit in that area ?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #2888
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

Why is one lane blocked at the border and which is the speed limit in that area ?
The speed limit is 10 km/h. Why one lane is blocked - I do not know, but I guess to make people slow down more because no one was driving 10 km/h.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2889
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nearly all of France's motorway border crossings look like this. They sometimes still perform random checks and pick suspicious cars out of the traffic.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2890
bogdymol
bogdymod

10 km/h?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2891
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

10 km/h is quite normal at French borders.

Tournai(B) -> Lille (F)

And back to Belgium:

Last edited by Palance; March 8th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #2892
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

A possible reason for the 10km/h limit: someone who actually drives 10km/h there probably has his car filled with drugs or is wanted by interpol. The ridiculous limit makes it easier for police to spot them.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #2893
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
The construction of those passport control booths in Amsterdam would likely take 20 years with a cost-overrun equal to at least three times the original budget. That's how things work in Amsterdam

That being said, if you'd check passports in Amsterdam, that means that also people travelling from Amsterdam to Brussels on the Eurostar would have to go through passport control. Despite the fact that you stay within the Schengen area. If you travel to London from Paris, Brussels or Lille, it will always be non-stop, so everyone who boards the train must clear immigration anyway. That would no longer be the case with an extention to in Amsterdam or (for instance) Germany. To make those connections feasible, I guess that the powers that be would have to get comfortable with checks on the train rather than on the station.
I doubt that would happen anytime soon. First, UK has historically held far more stringent border controls than continental countries, where passports used to be checked on board before the Schegen's days. Moreover, current law gives a lot of rights to wannabe asylum claimers once they stood foot in UK soil. Finally, managing deportations and entry refusals while Eurostar is cruising is not feasible. Imagine if some immigrant who purposely "had lost" their documents are informed they will not be allowed into UK. It would be a very tense situation: you are travelling on a HS train than a guy starts screaming because the immigrations office says he won't be allowed to enter UK. Controlling people's flow would be difficult, aslo.

Anyhow, there are plenty of convenient connections from Thalys to Eurostar in Brussels Zuid.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2894
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I doubt that would happen anytime soon. First, UK has historically held far more stringent border controls than continental countries, where passports used to be checked on board before the Schegen's days. Moreover, current law gives a lot of rights to wannabe asylum claimers once they stood foot in UK soil. Finally, managing deportations and entry refusals while Eurostar is cruising is not feasible. Imagine if some immigrant who purposely "had lost" their documents are informed they will not be allowed into UK. It would be a very tense situation: you are travelling on a HS train than a guy starts screaming because the immigrations office says he won't be allowed to enter UK. Controlling people's flow would be difficult, aslo.

Anyhow, there are plenty of convenient connections from Thalys to Eurostar in Brussels Zuid.
The easiest way to do it would simply be to simply restrict intra-Schengen Eurostar journeys to EU/EEA/CH citizens only. Passport checks could still take place in Amsterdam, Cologne, wherever - with valid intra-Schengen journeys allowed to bypass passport controls. Therefore, no problem - UK-bound passengers pass through immigration, Schengen-only passengers are restricted to EU/EEA/CH citizens - thus no problem at all with people entering the UK illegally.

It is feasible, after all - http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...timetables.jsp

Are there passport control booths in Avignon?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #2895
Minato ku

Yes there is an Eurostar area in Avignon station.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2896
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The easiest way to do it would simply be to simply restrict intra-Schengen Eurostar journeys to EU/EEA/CH citizens only. Passport checks could still take place in Amsterdam, Cologne, wherever - with valid intra-Schengen journeys allowed to bypass passport controls. Therefore, no problem - UK-bound passengers pass through immigration, Schengen-only passengers are restricted to EU/EEA/CH citizens - thus no problem at all with people entering the UK illegally.

It is feasible, after all - http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisur...timetables.jsp

Are there passport control booths in Avignon?
It is discriminatory in first place. Moreover, the greatest challenge is not place UK Border Force officers in control posts, but update stations to UK border security standards: x-ray facilities, sealed platform etc.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:56 AM   #2897
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

International border between Republic of Kosovo and Serbia in Mutivode on the Kosovo side..

shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #2898
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

How discriminatory is that? There's been separate lanes for EU/EEA/CH citizens on every EU external border since I remember.

To be honest, following the US/UK x-ray/big brother paranoya is far more discriminatory for me than having to walk through a particular gate.
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2899
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

Because the French are paranoid about "New EU" countries. They wouldn't stop me (PL), but perhaps because they were already surgically cleaning a Romanian car. The entire territory is on German soil, though (don't know if it makes a difference with who set up the barriers?).

The speed limits are illegal (according to Schengen agreement). One could drive 130, and then go up to Strassbourg to cancel the ticket. to the brave who wants to challenge it.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #2900
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
just love that mixed border between Netherlands and Germany. Feels like Europe is and should be.
That's Aachen. Similarly mixed with Belgium, and there are two buses across the border, 14 to Eupen and 24 to Kelmis (La Calamine):

Bus stop inside Belgium: German design, French names, line numbering from both systems:

Former border control building (sorry for quality, taken with phone from within the bus):
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways