daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #3241
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Anyone got photos of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_%28Western_Sahara%29
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3242
manuelmonge

Location: living in: Mexico City, from: Mazatlan, second cities: Obregon/Phoenix/Tucson
Likes (Received): 6911

why boring? well you guys in Europe just have a sign that welcomes you to the country, and here in Mexico, with the American border and the Guatemala one, is like a show, i mean you can see a lot of cultures in a place, and the border crossings are so huge, quiero ir a la frontera let me search some picture guys
manuelmonge está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #3243
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Entering la belle France... (that's how borders should always look )

[img]http://i47.************/w8rm35.jpg[/img]
No, no, it's missing the "End of driving culture" sign.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #3244
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
I took pictures of the border of Western Sahara last year. Note that you really need to know what to look for, because this border is not a border anymore. It's only a historical border. Today it's Moroccan territory on both sides of the border, and what's more it doesn't even correspond to a provincial or regional border (i.e. both sides of the old border is within the same Moroccan province).

Here are the pictures. The border of the Western Sahara is where the little pyramids stand, but as I said it is neither a political nor even a domestic administrative border today, so there is absolutely no sign telling you you're entering Western Sahara.

[img]http://i47.************/2rcmqeh.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i47.************/2j4y3o0.jpg[/img]

The endless desert. Maximum speed allowed 100 km/h, but in that part of Morocco there aren't police speed radars anymore.

[img]http://i48.************/5vylmo.jpg[/img]
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #3245
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Are the wall and forts still there? What does it look like?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #3246
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Nobody wants Schengen borders? No problem:

PL/RUS Grzechotki/Mamonovo

source: http://www.berlinka.pcp.pl/

This is what is left from the old Reichsautobahn on the Russian side

Still closed:

Approaching the border from the Polish side:

Quote:
Originally Posted by los77 View Post
Pierwsza bramownica.

Druga bramownica (tuż przed szlabanami)

Tutaj drobna dygresja.

Robiąc to zdjęcie stanąłem samochodem na środkowym pasie trzypasmowej jezdni w stronę przejścia. Po pewnym czasie prawy szlaban zaczął się otwierać i zamykać zachęcając do wjazdu. Nie mając jednak pewności czy dałbym radę stamtąd wyjechać bez kupna wizy , postanowiłem skorzystać z zawrotki widocznej po lewej stronie zdjęcia. Jednym słowem ....... wydygałem

Widok z przejścia w stronę Polski

Widok z przejścia w stronę Rosji (zwraca uwagę znak końca eski, czyżby w planach miała być oznaczona jako eska do samego przejścia ?)

Autobahn on Polish side:

Last edited by PLH; June 27th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Are they gonna open the new Grzechotki border crossing ever? So far it's the biggest Grand Travaux Inutile in Poland.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3248
Karasek

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by paF4uko View Post
Are there frequent border controls?
Currently, yes. The car theft on the Polish-German border more than trippled in some places along the border after Schengen was implemented. There are frequent controls now by German authorities, which angers Poles and Czechs quite a lot.
Just two days ago the German police more or less shut down the A4 (Autobahn from Dresden/D to Wroclaw/PL) at night. They controled ~1900 cars and found more than 100 stolen cars or parts of cars.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #3249
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13062

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
I took pictures of the border of Western Sahara last year. Note that you really need to know what to look for, because this border is not a border anymore. It's only a historical border. Today it's Moroccan territory on both sides of the border, and what's more it doesn't even correspond to a provincial or regional border (i.e. both sides of the old border is within the same Moroccan province).

Here are the pictures. The border of the Western Sahara is where the little pyramids stand, but as I said it is neither a political nor even a domestic administrative border today, so there is absolutely no sign telling you you're entering Western Sahara.
Western Sahara is not yet a moroccan territory. This territory is claimed by morocco since his decolonization by Spain. Most maps clearly show the separation between Morocco and Western Sahara.

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #3250
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
down the A4 (Autobahn from Dresden/D to Wroclaw/PL) at night. They controled ~1900 cars and found more than 100 stolen cars or parts of cars.
Source please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Are they gonna open the new Grzechotki border crossing ever? So far it's the biggest Grand Travaux Inutile in Poland.
It's the Russian side that is causing problems, our part is ready.

I found this, from 09/06/2010

http://www.rosgranitsa.ru/node/1952

Quote:
The representatives of Kaliningrad Oblast Kaliningrad customs and logistics customs office told the audience about the completion of the MAPP Mamonovo-2, as well as designated time interval required for the preparation of documents to enter the checkpoint operation.

Briot head KTU Rosgranitsy Alexander Koshlin informed the meeting about the procedure of the Interdepartmental Commission for acceptance MAPP Mamonovo-2, as well as the timing of the publication Rosgranitsey order opening the checkpoint.

In aiming the coordination and operational issues associated with the opening Mamonovo MAPP-2, Alexander Koshlin proposed to establish a working group comprising representatives of the Government of the Kaliningrad region, Kaliningrad Regional Customs, KTU Rosgranitsy and Kaliningrad logistics customs post. The meeting supported the initiative.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #3251
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdeka View Post
Western Sahara is not yet a moroccan territory.
On the ground, Western Sahara is clearly Moroccan territory. There are not even border checks as I said, not even a sign telling you you're entering Western Sahara. And people are exactly the same on both sides of the border, people speak the Saharaoui dialect on both sides of the border. Besides, Morocco is developing the coast rapidly, and Dakhla is soon going to become a major Moroccan resort, on par with Agadir.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3252
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Western Sahara is de-facto part of Morocco, since it is controlled by Morocco and there are no physical borders. Most statistical maps (of any kind) usually show Western Sahara as "no data". Only 500,000 people live there though, of which Laâyoune has almost 200,000 of them.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #3253
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Border crossing between China and Kazakhstan:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/609718

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5541375

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11137180

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6517597

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6517712

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6517321
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #3254
eskandarany
من المحيــط إلىٰ الخليــج

Likes (Received): 57

if you guys are looking for 'threatening' borders and crossings, check out the infamous rafah crossing (usually closed of course, very occasionally partially open)

after the famous 'brief opening' where the border was breached due to the long siege of 1-2 million people...

families separated for decades by the wall were reunited, and the palestinians enjoyed a couple of days shopping in egyptian rafah and elarish..

then the brand new infamous 'wall-of-shame' separating egypt and gaza, (europe and the us oversaw the building of this wall btw). presumably the 'filling in' is where it had been broken-through a couple of years back. accompanying no-man's-land forms the southern side of the besieged gaza's borders.

other egyptian crossings:
Taba

Salloum
eskandarany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3255
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

That border crossing between China and Kazakhstan is in Huoerguosi, right?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 5th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #3256
Matchut

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
That border crossing between China and Kazakhstan is in Huoerguosi, right?
Yes, that's where it is. You can tell from the China National Highway 312 kilometre marker, since that highway runs through the area.
Matchut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #3257
piotr71

Belgium-Germany international border crossing near Aachen Lichtenbusch:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=463
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #3258
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Canusa Street or Rue Canusa in Beebe Plain, Vermont/Quebec (The middle of the road is the U.S.-Canadian Border). Essentially residents on the US side of the street have to report to their customs if traveling south, and to the Canadian customs if traveling elsewhere in Beebe.

Derby Lane, Vermont & Stanstead, Quebec have several streets that cross the border without any customs checks and several apartments, houses and the library are split down the middle between the two countries.

Last edited by diablo234; July 15th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3259
bogdymol
bogdymod

I haven't seend any movie from any border crossing in this topic, so I tought, why shouldn't I make one since I have to make a cross-border trip?

Border crossing at Nădlac (RO) - Nagylak (HU), yesterday:

I have video from the returning trip (by night), but it will take a while to process and upload it.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3260
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I noticed that hungarians ask to open the trunk somehow. And after the border there was the hungarian customcontrolling what?alcohol and cigarettes?
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways