daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3261
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yes, sometimes they ask you to open the trunk to see what's inside. After the border there was a random-control and they usually find alcohol or cigarettes, but last month they found 70 kg of drugs (heroin). I am usually not stopped because my car has plates from Arad county.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #3262
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

I guess that also during Schengen there will be often controls by Hungarians. Anyway the limitations on cigarettes and alcoholended at the end of 2009.
eucitizen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #3263
bogdymol
bogdymod

I am sure that the Hungarians will make controls very often after Romania joins Schengen.

Right now one person is allowed to carry up to 200 cigarettes from Romania to Hungary and if you carry more you have to pay taxes for them. (I'm not smoking so I don't care)
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #3264
eucitizen

But the limitations are over, as you can see on EU official page: http://europa.eu/travel/shop/index_en.htm

there are no more limitations for cigarettes and alcohol from Romania and Hungary. So if the Hungarians bother they are violating your rights and free movements of goods.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #3265
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
There are no limits on what you can buy and take with you when you travel between EU countries, as long as it is for personal use and not for resale.
Believe me that they are searching for cigarettes and alcohol. One month ago, at Turnu(RO)/Battonya(HU) border the border-agent asked me about them, I answered that "I don't have any", he believed me and I continued my way...

Sometimes they also find people driving without driving licence, people with fake ID cards, many people from poor countries with Romanian visa but without Schengen visa that are hiding in trucks trailers (once they found 50 persons in just one trailer at Vărșand/Gyula), trucks full of counterfeit products etc.
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3266
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 676

sorry for off-topic, but what is the TAX free limit for EU citizens if you order something for example on Ebay ?
In Moldova it is 200 euro (with shipping ) TAX free
AlexisMD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #3267
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
But the limitations are over, as you can see on EU official page: http://europa.eu/travel/shop/index_en.htm

there are no more limitations for cigarettes and alcohol from Romania and Hungary. So if the Hungarians bother they are violating your rights and free movements of goods.
I dont know what you mean by limitations, but even in Schengen stays limits on the alcohol and cigarets transport over the border. It is due to the high differentials in the consumption tax on these articles. (It would still pay off to load a truck with ciggarets bought in supermarket in e.g. Poland and bring it to e.g. Denmark and sell it on local market)...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #3268
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I dont know what you mean by limitations, but even in Schengen stays limits on the alcohol and cigarets transport over the border. It is due to the high differentials in the consumption tax on these articles. (It would still pay off to load a truck with ciggarets bought in supermarket in e.g. Poland and bring it to e.g. Denmark and sell it on local market)...
Just like bogdymol said just a few posts ago:

"There are no limits on what you can buy and take with you when you travel between EU countries, as long as it is for personal use and not for resale."

So, a truck full of cigarettes or very high quantities in your car would be hard to defend that they are for personal use.

I've been to the Turnu(RO)/Battonya(HU) border crossing on 2009 and they also asked us about alcohol and cigarettes, they wanted to see the trunk, but it was very quick and they didn't ask us to open any baggage.
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #3269
eucitizen

MrAkumana is right.Citing from that page above:

To determine whether tobacco and alcohol are for personal use, each country can set guide levels. In other words, if you carry a larger quantity of these goods, you may be asked to prove that they are intended for personal use and to justify their purchase. The guide levels may not be lower than:

* 800 cigarettes
* 400 cigarillos
* 200 cigars
* 1 kg of tobacco
* 10 litres of spirits
* 20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry)
* 90 litres of wine (of which, a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine)
* 110 litres of beer

So you can carry even,for example, 2000 cigarettes if you prove it is for personal use. I think UK set it at 1600 cigarettes. Under those limits police shouldn't bother you.
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #3270
bogdymol
bogdymod

I found here this thing:
Quote:
Tobacco products (cigarettes)

If purchased cigarettes on the market in Romania, which are provided with tax stamps applied by the Romanian authorities allowed them free entry to a maximum of 800 pieces cigarettes (equivalent to 40 packs of 20 pieces, respectively 4 cartridges) per person aged over 17 years. For quantities exceeding that limit is required to pay excise duty under Hungarian law
Short movie I made 2 days ago at Nagylak (HU) - Nădlac (RO) border crossing:

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3271
Remolino

Likes (Received): 7

Being an island we have no International border crossings.

Somewhere out there is the Puerto Rico - Dominican Republic Maritime border.

image hosted on flickr

Somewhere really out there is the Puerto Rico - Venezuela Maritime border.

Remolino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #3272
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remolino View Post
Being an island we have no International border crossings.
Don't forget the incident that gave birth to the "secession" of Key West as the Conch Republic in April of 1982. The Unites States Border Patrol set up a border crossing point in front of Skeeter's Last Chance Saloon in Florida City to check all traffic coming north from the Florida Keys on the Overseas Highway (US-1) and Card Sound Road for illegal aliens and narcotics. The mayor of Key West figured that if the United States was going to treat the Florida Keys as a foreign nation, they might as well become one, and staged the "secession" of the Conch Republic. Finally, the bad publicity and ridicule, led the U.S. government to shut down the checkpoint.

Quote:
Somewhere really out there is the Puerto Rico - Venezuela Maritime border.
Between Puerto Rico and Venezuela there are many miles of international waters, so there really is not a maritime boundary.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #3273
bogdymol
bogdymod

Another Romanian - Hungarian border crossing video from me (from 3:25):

This border crossing is at Turnu (RO) - Battonya (HU).

I also payed attention at the limited number of cigarettes you can take with you, and it was written that you have to pay taxes if you have more than 200 (the sign is at 4:10 in the left part of the screen - the green(200 cigarettes allowed)/red(taxes for more than 200) sign - I didn't take a picture of it because I knew that my video camera was on, but as you can see it was to sunny outside).

PS: The guy in front of me was stopped for a more detailed check.

edit: Those green/red signs are also at 3:45 (both left and right).

Last edited by bogdymol; July 13th, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #3274
eucitizen

Uhm it should be an old sign as the restricitons were valid till 31.12.2009.
Old July 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #3275
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Another Romanian - Hungarian border crossing video from me (from 3:25):

This border crossing is at Turnu (RO) - Battonya (HU).

I also payed attention at the limited number of cigarettes you can take with you, and it was written that you have to pay taxes if you have more than 200 (the sign is at 4:10 in the left part of the screen - the green(200 cigarettes allowed)/red(taxes for more than 200) sign - I didn't take a picture of it because I knew that my video camera was on, but as you can see it was to sunny outside).

PS: The guy in front of me was stopped for a more detailed check.

edit: Those green/red signs are also at 3:45 (both left and right).
Nice Video
So I have several questions
You are checked only by Hungarian border control ? No Romanian ?
What camera do you use and video editing software
AlexisMD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #3276
eucitizen

Yes I noticed that too. But it was like that also fot other countries befre entering Schengen that there was one check, only when entering the country. sometimes they are together making contrls of documents. But it may happens that for some borders there are still 2 checks for some reasons.
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3277
veteran
www.fotokosice.eu

Likes (Received): 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
Yes I noticed that too. But it was like that also fot other countries befre entering Schengen that there was one check, only when entering the country. sometimes they are together making contrls of documents. But it may happens that for some borders there are still 2 checks for some reasons.
I noticed same in 2 boarder-crossings near Neum, BiH (between HR and BiH). Usually you are checked by BiH police-man (my experience). Of course it is not Schengen zone.

They use to check you only in entering BiH and when you are leaving BiH they only wave the hand.

Last edited by veteran; July 13th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.
veteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #3278
eucitizen

I mean in the Eu before Schengen the new countries had only 1 check mostly.
And about Neum, no wonder, as it is just a short piece of Bosnia between HR and you must pass through it
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #3279
Boltzman
S = k ln Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Between Puerto Rico and Venezuela there are many miles of international waters, so there really is not a maritime boundary.
Have you never heard of Isla Aves?

Map of maritime borders:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nes_Nulles.png
Boltzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3280
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

[Double post. Is there a "delete" function?]
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways