daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzman View Post
Have you never heard of Isla Aves?
"...accretions of coral have subsequently reunited it"? Wait, coral? Does that count as land?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #3282
vc5517
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Sad but have some ways to stop International Border Crossing and make it as it has been?

vc5517 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #3283
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzman View Post
Have you never heard of Isla Aves?

Map of maritime borders:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nes_Nulles.png
Those are not territorial borders but exclusive economic zones limits. The territorial border is at the 12 mile mark. From there, the exclusive economic zone extends another 188 miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Economic_Zone
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #3284
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisMD View Post
Nice Video
So I have several questions
You are checked only by Hungarian border control ? No Romanian ?
What camera do you use and video editing software
You are checked by both. First you are checked by the officer of the country that you are leaving, and after that by the officer of the country you are entering in. Since Romania joined EU in 2007 checks are made at only one checkpoint (the one that belongs to the country you are entering in). At the return trip I should have been checked at the Romanian checkpoint, but the officer just waved his arm and I continued without stopping. This thing only happens when entering in Romania. I have never passed the checkpoint when enetering Hungary without showing my documents.

I used an X170 Drift actioncamera during this trip. On my trip to Budapest (also on youtube) I used a Sony HD similar with this one.
For editing my videos I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X3.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #3285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I entered Slovenia last year from Croatia without a single check. They just waved me through.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #3286
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I entered Slovenia last year from Croatia without a single check. They just waved me through.
That's how it used to be at the U.S. Canada border in the 1990's. Oftentimes, just flashing the passport without opening it was enough . They would ask you where you were going and for how long and wave you through.

In the U.S./Canda border, you don't have to check out. You drive straight to the border station of the country you are eentering.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3287
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I am interesting in different ways you can cross a border. I know there is a line off the Geneva tram system that has a stop in France, does anyone know how that worked pre Schengen? Also are there many bus routes that pass into different countries in Europe? I know there are long distance Eurolines busses but I'm more interested in local routes which enable people to live and work in different countries. Also I have heard it is possible to legally canoe into Belarus, possibly from Poland, anyone know if this is true?
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3288
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Also are there many bus routes that pass into different countries in Europe? I know there are long distance Eurolines busses but I'm more interested in local routes which enable people to live and work in different countries.
There's a regular city bus between Gorizia (Italy) and Nova Gorica-"New Gorizia" (Slovenia), which costs €1. City buses in Nova Gorica are free of charge.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #3289
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I am interesting in different ways you can cross a border. I know there is a line off the Geneva tram system that has a stop in France, does anyone know how that worked pre Schengen? Also are there many bus routes that pass into different countries in Europe? I know there are long distance Eurolines busses but I'm more interested in local routes which enable people to live and work in different countries. Also I have heard it is possible to legally canoe into Belarus, possibly from Poland, anyone know if this is true?
I've seen a map of the transit system of Lille (France) which is very close to the Belgian border; plenty of Lille's bus lines run into Belgium and connect to Belgian lines.

Don't know anything about Geneva trams. And my experiences of travel in Europe are limited by the fact that I'm across the Atlantic. BUT, when I took a train from Paris to Geneva in 1986 there was an actual customs post right in the train station that you had to pass through in order to get off your platform. I'd also point out that good road maps (Michelin's for example) used to show in the Geneva area (maybe they still do) a sort of second border, roughly parallel to the official border, and drawn more lightly on the map. I think the area between that second border and the "real" one indicated parts of France with fewer restrictions on access to Switzerland than the rest of France had. No idea what those restrictions were....

EDIT: Lille transit map, although it may not be obvious to you where the Belgian border is.
http://www.transpole.fr/upload/plan.pdf

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 15th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #3290
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

The international tram line going to France is in Basel, not in Geneva, and an extension to Germany is under construction. I don't think there border controls before Schengen.

But also Geneva had some international tramlines, and some are now at plalling stage. There are also a lot of international suburban buslines.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #3291
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The train from Görlitz to Zittau in Germany passes the Polish border several times. In fact, the station of the German town of Ostritz is located in Poland. I have no idea how that worked in pre-Schengen times. Probably the Ostritz station was closed or that the station was a closed place you could only enter by passing border control. Anyway, I hope that somebody here can tell me how it worked because I'm not sure.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3292
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Also are there many bus routes that pass into different countries in Europe? I know there are long distance Eurolines busses but I'm more interested in local routes which enable people to live and work in different countries.
Recently a bus line between czech city of Plzeň and german Cham has been estabilished. It serves both regional and local traffic, stopping at 48 places on 90 kms. You can pay for the trip in czech crowns in Germany as well as with Euros in Czechia.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #3293
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The international tram line going to France is in Basel, not in Geneva, and an extension to Germany is under construction. I don't think there border controls before Schengen.

But also Geneva had some international tramlines, and some are now at plalling stage. There are also a lot of international suburban buslines.
There was definitely a border control at the Geneva train station on whatever day it was in June 1986. I can tell you that first-hand....
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3294
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Yes, there was, and probably there is still today. But border controls are not really coherent there.

Here despite the custom has about 12 lanes only 2, one per direction, are usually opened causing about a 10 minute wait. Policemen just wave you to pass. On busy days there are sometimes, but not always, 4 lanes opened, and still policemen only wave hands and stop cars randomly, creating long jams.

But a few kilometres to the north there is a completely unmanned border (at least on the swiss side).

The same applies for trains: on the main Milano-Zürich line there are often policemen searching for drugs, but on a branch line nearby (via Luino) there is usually nobody on trains (not even a railway employee to check tickets, as they randomly board only some trains to check tickets).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3295
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That happened to me some years ago when BG wasn't still a part of EU. It was in the evening and I was wondering if they got tired and were just lazy or me and my father have trustworthy faces.
Capt.Vimes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #3296
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

Entering canada on I-87, the US officers stopped us (they just had a car) and asked where and for how long are we doing, then the Canadian guy checked passports and everything. On the way back Canadians were nowhere to be found and it was just the US guy checking passports.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #3297
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Also I have heard it is possible to legally canoe into Belarus, possibly from Poland, anyone know if this is true?
I didn't hear of that. It is possible to kayak down some of the border rivers starting on Polish side, but you have to report your planned itinerary to the border control and you cannot get off on Belorussian side.
But I think that it's possible to obtain permission for crossing the Lithuanian-Belarussian border by a kayak, or at least I've herad some gossip about such trips.
Fuzzy Llama está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3298
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

There is a local bus line between Bratislava and austrian vilalges near the border. It is planned to make a similar bus line to Rajka, the first village after the border where many slovaks bought houses due to their low cost, comparing to Bratislava prices.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3299
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Quote:
It is possible. Here is a Polish border post you can use.

Crossing point Rudawka (Poland) - Lesnaja (Belarus)

Google "Kanal Augustowski" for more info.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #3300
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I am interesting in different ways you can cross a border.
An original way to cross the border is through the underground mining systems on the Dutch-Belgian border, south of Maastricht. The mining systems are across the border, which made it a popular smuggling route. This mining area was also very useful in WO-II for hiding the most precious art of the Dutch museums for the nazis.

The importance of this underground route vanished by the introduction of the Benelux Economic Union in 1960, which ended the border controls between the Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxemburg. This Benelux-treaty was the model for the Schengen Treaty in 1985.

The Benelux Treaty explains why the Dutch-Belgian border is so boring: the structural border checks were already dissolved in 1960, not just by the Schengen Treaty. If the European Union would be dissolved (highly unlikely of cource, at least for now), we would still have the Benelux Union for Benelux relations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Entering canada on I-87, the US officers stopped us (they just had a car) and asked where and for how long are we doing, then the Canadian guy checked passports and everything. On the way back Canadians were nowhere to be found and it was just the US guy checking passports.
As an European, I was surprised by the intensive border checks between the USA and Canada. I once crossed the border by train enroute from New York City to Montreal. First it was stopped in the middle of nowhere at a siding on the US-side of the border, with checks by US Border Police. Then they moved a few kilometers further to another siding where Canadian Border Police entered the train and checked everybody. Those inspections can take an hour. Unbelievable between two allied countries, especially if you notice Canada has only landborders with the USA.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways