daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #321
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Along a lot of that 'uncontrolled' border, the locals keep a pretty good watch over things and they don't hesitate to call the Customs guys when things are amiss.
Mike, it is true, especially in case of Zero Avenue that I described above. However, the border runs through some dense forest at times, and you can just pretend to be a hiker to "accidentally" cross into another country. For instance, the Glacier Park is the perfect place for that kind of activity because there are indeed many hikers wondering in the national park in the summer time. Also, several years ago I saw a programme on TV about an uncontrolled crossing somewhere in Minnesota where you actually had to report yourself via phone (videophone), but I am not sure if it is still there.

I think that having strict borders with Canada cannot help in the fight with terrorism because to get to the USA, terrorists would have to get to Canada first. Should I tell you that nowadays getting into Canada via air can be as hassling as getting into the USA?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #322
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Mike, it is true, especially in case of Zero Avenue that I described above. However, the border runs through some dense forest at times, and you can just pretend to be a hiker to "accidentally" cross into another country. For instance, the Glacier Park is the perfect place for that kind of activity because there are indeed many hikers wondering in the national park in the summer time. Also, several years ago I saw a programme on TV about an uncontrolled crossing somewhere in Minnesota where you actually had to report yourself via phone (videophone), but I am not sure if it is still there.

I think that having strict borders with Canada cannot help in the fight with terrorism because to get to the USA, terrorists would have to get to Canada first. Should I tell you that nowadays getting into Canada via air can be as hassling as getting into the USA?
And you can't really 'accidentally' cross the land parts of the USA-Canada border, either, because the whole thing is marked by a 3-4 meter wide mowed strip. I would think that the easiest place to unknowingly wander across would be over water, as in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (NE Minnesota/western Ontario) or the at the north end of Lake Champlain.

The call-to-report crossing is at the Northwest Angle between Minnesota and Manitoba. I have no idea what the current situation is there.

Also, I have zero doubt that Canada fully realizes the direct economic consequences that they would suffer due to border tightening if there is another 2001-09-11 style attack on the USA and it is determined that the bad guys got in via Canada.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #323
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post

Umm, I don't think the rules were enacted for Canada's sake. They just happened to get caught in the "fairness" blast wave.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #324
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Radoszyce (PL) - Palota (SK)

All pics by: Kronos KBC

This board is about The Good Soldier Švejk:

Old March 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM   #325
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Love this thread. Unfortunately I cannot post any from Australia

I especially like the ones from South America (French Guyana / Brazil and Argentina / Uruguay).

Here is one I took at the border of Croatia and a little piece of Bosnia territory (6km) along the Adriatic Coast between the town of Klek (HR) and Neum (BiH).

marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM   #326
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It's an interisting place, especially with the Croatian A3 going to Dubrovnik through Bosnian territory

Anyway, last week I went to Vienna and back (from Amsterdam), by nighttrain, and on the way to Vienna my bags were checked (and I mean really checked, they wanted to see everything) and also my ID card. On the way back they checked my ID too, from Austria to Germany. Is it normal that trains are checked more often that cars at Schengen borders?
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #327
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

I have been checked at the train from Amsterdam to Berlin.

I think it's maybe because you are Dutch. We are sadly known as notorious drug traffickers. And that is not completely untrue.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM   #328
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
It's an interisting place, especially with the Croatian A3 going to Dubrovnik through Bosnian territory
it's not A3, it is D8 road
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM   #329
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

@ x-type: sorry, I wasn't completely sure about the name.

@ chris: yeah, I'm only 16, and I was with a friend (also 16), so they definately thought we had drugs. I also thought that we were to only ones to be checked.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM   #330
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Border between Hungary(Esztergom) and Slovakia(Stúrovo).
From Hungary:

From Slovakia:

The last reminder about the border.

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:11 AM   #331
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Sweet I like the picture of a man walking from one country to another.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM   #332
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Jakuszyce (PL) - Harrachov (CZ)
by Kronos KBC

Cieszyn CZ/PL

Old March 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #333
LT1550

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Swinoujscie-Ahlbeck PL/D

...and before Schengen in Summer 2003 (even before Poland was part of the EU) it looked like this:

The sign at the restaurant indicates "last German restaurant before Moscow"

Heading to the border to Poland. The border to Poland was just opened for pedestrians until Schengen.

The Polish side of the border.

Polish side...

Back in Germany, view back to Poland. Closed for cars.

About a kilometer north - border protection with a fence at the beach, taken from the German side.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #334
Cpt.Iglo
D’r is mor ain Stad!

Likes (Received): 31

This is the area between Nieuweschans (NL) and Leer (D). No roads, but trains this time:

2 trains on trainstation Nieuweschans (NL), a few meters from the German border:
image hosted on flickr

As you can see, the left train is heading to Leer, the right train to Groningen.
Cpt.Iglo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #335
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

This subforum is about roads, not about trains. Btw, the border line is a few hundred metres ahead, there.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #336
Foolish Farmer
Athleta Christi

Likes (Received): 4

Merdarë - Kosova/Serbia border crossing

Last edited by Foolish Farmer; March 9th, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Foolish Farmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #337
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
The San Diego - Tijuana border crossing is said to be one of the busiest in the world. It has over 25 lanes i think.

[IMG]http://i20.************/2ziwupk.png[/IMG]

Also notice the different amount of lanes, from US point of view: about 5 outbound, and over 25 inbound. Maybe because incoming traffic to the US is checked much more strictly then outgoing traffic to Mexico.
I've been there in 2001!!
We left our car in a mall near the border, few kilometers south of San Diego and then passed the border with a bus to Tijuana!!
I remember that going from the USA to Mexico was very fast, but coming back was terrible!! There was a kilometers-long queue... So long that the bus opened the doors and made us pass the border by walk!!
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #338
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Peace Bridge (Fort Erie-Buffalo,USA)

Looking from Canada to the USA.

Rainbow Bridge (Niagara Falls,CAN-Niagara Falls, USA)

Looking from the USA to Canada.

Ambassador Bridge (Windsor-Detroit)

Looking from the USA

Detroit-Windsor Tunnel (it goes under the river)

Windsor

Inside the tunnel

Detroit

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #339
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

Best crossing ever!

Quote:
The border crossing is unstaffed. Travelers using the single gravel road into the Angle are expected to use a telephone at Jim's Corner to contact Canadian or U.S. Customs and make their declarations.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #340
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Does anyone actually do that though?

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways