daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #3401
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In the hope Morocco will do the same.
Knowing the two countries as I know them, I think it's more to spite the Moroccans really. If it was only in the hope that Morocco will do the same, they would have built the motorway to the last exit in Algeria, and just reserved the land to the border to complete the motorway when the border opens. It makes no sense to spend money to build a section of motorway that won't be used for many years, and that will probably have to be largely rebuilt by the time the border finally opens. Except of course if you want to nag the neighboring country.

Also, what I find funny is this delusion of grandeur, building a 2x3 motorway across the entire country when traffic doesn't justify 6 lanes. I don't know if they realize that you don't just have the Chinese build a motorway for you and voilà. You also have to maintain the motorway afterwards, repave it frequently, which is very costly. I wonder how many potholes there'll be on that white elephant motorway in 10 or 20 years.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #3402
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Well, Algeria has 35 million people, most of whom who live among the A1 corridor. But I agree, 2x3 is overkill in some areas. But then again, better a 2x3 motorway than no motorway at all. It looks like some foo...motorways for oil programme.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #3403
brisavoine
BANNED

Algerians are not as motorized as the Europeans, and a lot of the population are children. So compared to a European country, it's more like a country of 10 million. Even the most populated European countries only built 2x2 motorways in the beginning, and enlarged them only years later, and in fact some major corridors are still not enlarged, so as you say this Algerian motorway is really an overkill. And the major problem is it will cost lots of money to maintain, in a country where GDP per capita is low and oil money is largely diverted by the elites for their own use.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #3404
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Morocco builds only 2*2! They are enlarging the Casablanca - Rabat to 2*3 to solve the traffic problem, it's the busiest african motorway with more than 55000 cars/day!
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #3405
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaMor View Post
Morocco builds only 2*2!
That makes much more sense. Build 2*2 motorways and reserve land on the side of the motorway for an enlargement to 2*3 when it becomes necessary in a few years or decades. It's better than to build a 2*3 white elephant motorway which will cost a lot of money to maintain just for the sake of boasting one's grandeur.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #3406
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

The Moroccan part of the so-called trans-maghrebine motorway will terminate at Oujda, and well west of the town itself leaving the last few kms as expressway. A study has been carried out for the remainder of the motorway to the Algerian border but I'm not sure that it will necessarily be able to be drawn to that exact spot.

Anyway, there will need to be border facilities built and the border line will be inside these facilities leading to at minimum the destruction of several hundred meters of this faboulous Algerian motorway. Money that could have been used to save sick children. The waste...

Btw, that border doesn't seem to be close to opening anytime soon.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #3407
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Morocco builds only 2*2! They are enlarging the Casablanca - Rabat to 2*3 to solve the traffic problem, it's the busiest african motorway with more than 55000 cars/day!
I really doubt that. I'm sure there are busier freeways in South Africa and maybe Egypt and Nigeria as well.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3408
Morsue

Quote:
I really doubt that. I'm sure there are busier freeways in South Africa and maybe Egypt and Nigeria as well.
It's the busiest toll motorway in Africa. And btw, they wouldn't need to widen that if people just knew how to drive in an orderly manner. I quite sure too that when the third lane is open, no one will use the right lane but trucks and for overtaking. The middle lane will be jammed...
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #3409
brisavoine
BANNED

It ain't Scandinavia, sunshine.
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #3410
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Quote:
Do you understand french?

Quote:
L'autoroute Casablanca - Rabat A3 est la première à être mise en place, elle est également l'autoroute payante la plus fréquentée en Afrique avec un débit moyen de 55 109 véhicules/jour en juillet 2009.
Source: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d...outes_du_Maroc
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #3411
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I understand it, it says "the most traveled toll motorway in Africa with an average of 55,109 vehicles per day in July 2009".

Two remarks;

* The July value is probably the highest in the year. Normally, only yearly values are used (which are often lower than summer peak periods)
* It only includes toll roads. The Cairo Ring Road is toll free, and so are freeways in South Africa. These will carry most likely more than 55,000 vpd. (55,000 isn't very high, almost any rural motorway in Germany, Italy or the Netherlands sees such volumes).

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3412
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1347

Quote:
I understand it, it says "the most traveled toll motorway in Africa with an average of 55,109 vehicles per day in July 2009".

Two remarks;

* The July value is probably the highest in the year. Normally, only yearly values are used (which are often lower than summer peak periods)
* It only includes toll roads. The Cairo Ring Road is toll free, and so are freeways in South Africa. These will carry most likely more than 55,000 vpd. (55,000 isn't very high, almost any rural motorway in Germany, Italy or the Netherlands sees such volumes).

And how much people in NL, Ger or Italy own a car? Are we really comparing a third world country to fully developed nations?
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #3413
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'd hardly call Morocco a third world country. They're somewhere in between. By the way, I also think there could be busier roads in Algiers.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3414
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Quote:
I'd hardly call Morocco a third world country. They're somewhere in between. By the way, I also think there could be busier roads in Algiers.
Casablanca (about 5millions) - Rabat (about 2millions) = 90km! It's not hard to understand!
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #3415
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1347

Either way, I would like to see Morocco connecting those highways - for future generations. Oujda can easily profit from such a connection (just like in the early days when Algerian tourists flocked towards Morocco). It has been calculated that Inter-Maghreb trade could add up to 2% GDP growth.
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3416
Morsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
It ain't Scandinavia, sunshine.
As I'm acutely aware... But still, it's nothing like Romanian driving.
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #3417
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
As I'm acutely aware... But still, it's nothing like Romanian driving.
A lot of stupid and dangerous men doing stupid and dangerous things. But to defend my fellow drivers , I must say that the madman driving the lorry was a Turk and the lorry he was trying to overpass (whose driver didn't even tried to use the brake for a moment to let the madman go, not even for his personal safety) was a Bulgarian one.
Now seriously speaking, that is one of the busiest roads in the country (part of the Pan-European Corridor IV) and what you saw in that video was partially the result of the lack of motorways in Romania.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #3418
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19133

Quote:
Casablanca (about 5millions) - Rabat (about 2millions) = 90km! It's not hard to understand!
Actually it is hard to understand why it is only 55k/day

I'm pretty sure Johannesburg - Pretoria carry more than 55k a day. Can anyone provide data?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #3419
CasaMor
Africator | Moroccator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Actually it is hard to understand why it is only 55k/day

I'm pretty sure Johannesburg - Pretoria carry more than 55k a day. Can anyone provide data?
Because there's also a free national road!

Is there a highway between Jo'burg and Pretoria?
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #3420
aghiles11
aghiles

Likes (Received): 2431

I doubt that the highway CASA-Rabat is the busiest in Africa, even the least important motorway in Algiers is more, even in 2x5, traffic is very slow.

For example, the number of vehicles circulating in the capital of Algeria is almost equal to all the vehicles available throughout Morocco.

Tags
highways, motorways