daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3541
piotr71

@ Bogdymol

Great report. Nice and clean and really well maintained place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Great! I was so wondering if there is place like this!

I will go there when I will be in Slovakia. So guys, be prepared for pics
I am back in Poland on the end of this month, so be prepared to see me there I live not far from that place.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM   #3542
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
@ Bogdymol

Great report. Nice and clean and really well maintained place.

I am back in Poland on the end of this month, so be prepared to see me there I live not far from that place.
Well I am also not so far from that place but I won`t be there in next 3 monts at least .

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3543
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

De Lutte - Bad Bentheim - NL/D

The A1-A30 border crossing between the Netherlands and Germany on Germany reunification day. (October 3rd)

1. Border crossing rest area parking.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. Trucks, trucks and trucks, mostly from Eastern Europe, as far as Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. Euro-vignettes can be purchased in the restaurant. An eurovignette is a truck toll system in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark and Sweden.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. The border pedestrian bridge to rest area Bentheimerwald, which is in Germany.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. The border. Note the pavement difference, from rough and bumpy concrete to supersmooth asphalt, in the Netherlands of course.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. Looking into Germany.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. Looking into the Netherlands.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. Autobahn A30
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

9. The rest area on the left is on German territory, the motorway is Dutch territory.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

10. KM 0,0 of Autobahn A30
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

11. Border from ground level.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

12. Pavement change. Before summer 2010, both sides of the border had concrete pavement.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

13. Nederland is Dutch for "The Netherlands" and is an entry sign.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

14. Motorway forbidden for pedestrians.
image hosted on flickr
De Poppe-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:36 PM   #3544
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I think that sign would be more useful in some EE languages (and English).

As for border crossings, for the last few days there're big traffic jams on the Slovenian-Croatian border due to strike of Slovenian policemen. Waiting times are measured in hours, even for personal cars. I went to northern Croatia yesterday. I was actually thinking of going there over Hungary, but I used one of rare crossings without queue. Just as an example, current waiting time on the crossing between Zagreb and Maribor is 2.5 hours for cars.

http://www.rtvslo.si/slovenija/polic...-stavke/240731
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3545
piotr71

Thanks for the report Chris.

Translation into Polish is quite funny. They probably had some troubles with Polish truckers speaking their mother tongue only.

Do you know whether concrete road (picture 9 on the left) is a regular service road or remaining after older road connecting Nederland with Deutschland?

Last edited by piotr71; October 5th, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #3546
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Chris, the photos of the De Lutte/Bad Bentheim border crossing between The Netherlands and Germany are very impressive! Imagine walking from one country to another unhindered, thanks to Schengen.

On the last photo, there is a sign written in German and in Dutch stating that pedestrians are prohibited on the motorway. My question is, are the following statutes relate to laws in both countries' motor vehicle codes regarding use of the motorway:

StVO Article 18 Abs. 9 (German motor vehicle code)
RVV 1990 Art. 42 (Dutch motor vehicle code)

The reason I ask is that it would be comparable to Section 316.091 of the Florida Statutes (which prohibits use of interstate highways and expressways by pedestrians and bicycles), signage which is posted at every entrance and exit ramp to interstates and toll roads in Florida. By comparison, does The Netherlands and Germany (as well as the rest of Europe) post pedestrian prohibition signs only at their borders or at evey motorway entrance?

I apologize for being a little off topic, but there was a picture that caught my attention. Great photos, by the way!

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3547
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

This is the first sign I've ever seen indicating walking on the motorway is prohibited.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM   #3548
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

However, there are "triple prohibition" as SSC Poland members call them on Polish highways. If some Polish member would provide a picture of it, it'd be nice.
Also, in Pennsylvania there are signs "motor vehicles only" at every highway entrance, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #3549
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
Chris, the photos of the De Lutte/Bad Bentheim border crossing between The Netherlands and Germany are very impressive! Imagine walking from one country to another unhindered, thanks to Schengen.

On the last photo, there is a sign written in German and in Dutch stating that pedestrians are prohibited on the motorway. My question is, are the following statutes relate to laws in both countries' motor vehicle codes regarding use of the motorway:

StVO Article 18 Abs. 9 (German motor vehicle code)
RVV 1990 Art. 42 (Dutch motor vehicle code)

The reason I ask is that it would be comparable to Section 316.091 of the Florida Statutes (which prohibits use of interstate highways and expressways by pedestrians and bicycles), signage which is posted at every entrance and exit ramp to interstates and toll roads in Florida. By comparison, does The Netherlands and Germany (as well as the rest of Europe) post pedestrian prohibition signs only at their borders or at evey motorway entrance?

I apologize for being a little off topic, but there was a picture that caught my attention. Great photos, by the way!
I assume that the signs that are posted at Autobahn entrances in Germany (my avatar is an animation based on those signs) have that covered - they literally mean "Begin autobahn driving rules" and one of the rules is 'no pedestrians/bicycles".

Interestingly, pedestrians and bicycles ARE allowed on interstates and compatible highways, at least in rural areas, in many USA states, especially in the west. In those instances, the highway usually goes through territory that is so remote and thinly populated that there is often no other convenient available routing for that non-motorized traffic and the highways' motor vehicle traffic is sufficiently light that it presents no undue safety hazard. In those places, pedestrians and bicycles must keep as far to the right as possible - very easy in that normal interstate standards include a full-width paved right shoulder.

IIRC, pedestrians and bicycles are also allowed on the I-79 bridge over the Ohio River in west suburban Pittsburgh, PA - there is no other convenient routing available. The I-94 Saint Croix River bridge (on the Minnesota-Wisconsin state line in the far eastern MStP suburbs) has a separate protected pathway on the bridge, a more common set up. Ditto the George Washington Bridge (I-95 at the New Jersey-New York state line).

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #3550
magm

Likes (Received): 41

Future Expansion of the San Ysidro-Tijuana (USA-MEXICO) Int' Border crossing.

The number of northbound vehicle inspection lanes will increase from 24 to 34.

Southbound lanes will increase from six to as many as 12.

There will be two pedestrian crossing areas in both directions on either side of Interstate 5. Currently, there is one northbound pedestrian crossing east of I-5, and one southbound crossing that’s west of I-5.

The revamped port of entry will have more buildings for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a larger primary and secondary vehicle inspection area, and a larger northbound connection and a realigned southbound connection to Mexico’s planned El Chaparral Land Point of Entry facility.

The Mexican side of the project involves moving southbound lanes west of the current crossing and more than doubling their number — to 19.

Officials said by the end of this year, workers will complete two of four bridges connected to the expansion: Three will channel southbound traffic to different parts of Tijuana, while the fourth will feed into the northbound lanes.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/busy-border/
magm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #3551
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Do you know whether concrete road (picture 9 on the left) is a regular service road or remaining after older road connected Nederland with Deutschland?
Let's do a little bit exploring in this area... According to Google Streetview, the road is closed:

This Streetview image shows the situation at the border:

You can see the markings on the concrete under the stairs of the pedestrianbridge (which was constructed post-Schengen). It looks like the road is a remaining of the bordercontrol era; it looks like the Germany-bound traffic had four lanes at the border, with probably customs booths besides each lane. If you look very closely to this Streetview image, your can see a gap in the concrete (now paved with gray stones) where the customs booths for the two center lanes probably were located:

Funny to see they haven't removed those abandoned lanes, which has been done at the other border crossings between The Netherlands and Germany. Maybe the Dutch road authority thinks it's on German soil, although those lanes are just on the Dutch side as they were part of the highway itself; it's not part of the service area which is located in Germany.

Edit: You can also see some old concrete pavement north of the highway, probably former Netherlands-bound lanes, now partly re-used as part of a road in the service area. And there's something funny with that Netherlands-bound service road: it is situated in Germany east of the former customs booths, while the pavement and all traffic signs are Dutch (as can be seen on Chris' pictures #6, 8 and 10). It looks like the Dutch road authority has stolen some German soil here!

Last edited by ArthurK; October 5th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #3552
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I assume that the signs that are posted at Autobahn entrances in Germany (my avatar is an animation based on those signs) have that covered - they literally mean "Begin autobahn driving rules" and one of the rules is 'no pedestrians/bicycles".

Interestingly, pedestrians and bicycles ARE allowed on interstates and compatible highways, at least in rural areas, in many USA states, especially in the west. In those instances, the highway usually goes through territory that is so remote and thinly populated that there is often no other convenient available routing for that non-motorized traffic and the highways' motor vehicle traffic is sufficiently light that it presents no undue safety hazard. In those places, pedestrians and bicycles must keep as far to the right as possible - very easy in that normal interstate standards include a full-width paved right shoulder.

IIRC, pedestrians and bicycles are also allowed on the I-79 bridge over the Ohio River in west suburban Pittsburgh, PA - there is no other convenient routing available. The I-94 Saint Croix River bridge (on the Minnesota-Wisconsin state line in the far eastern MStP suburbs) has a separate protected pathway on the bridge, a more common set up. Ditto the George Washington Bridge (I-95 at the New Jersey-New York state line).

Mike
By the way, I started a new topic on use of Interstate Highways by other than motor vehicle traffic which can be found here. That way, we can keep on topic here on the International Border Crossings thread.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #3553
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
Let's do a little bit exploring in this area... According to Google Streetview, the road is closed:

Funny to see they haven't removed those abandoned lanes, which has been done at the other border crossings between The Netherlands and Germany. Maybe the Dutch road authority thinks it's on German soil, although those lanes are just on the Dutch side as they were part of the highway itself; it's not part of the service area which is located in Germany.
The extra lanes on the German side is used during border controls. The small signs on the first picture that 'close' those lanes are removed during border controls. All vehicles are directed towards the service area. Trucks are allowed to continue straight on using these old lanes, while passenger cars are directed to the right into the actual service area. There all suspicious looking cars are stopped and checked, while locals are allowed to pass through without any hassle.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #3554
Kreicherisch

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ Ok, here's the rest:

It's a Slovenian exterritorial road through Italy to reach another part of Slovenia faster. Interestingly, the road even has Slovenian markings and number.
Is it a Slovenian highway 402?
Kreicherisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #3555
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^ yes. only that part is highway-like. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2&ie=UTF8&z=14

driving on that road towards Brda always seemed to me a bit weird. if you live in Nova Gorica, on the west you have Italy right away, but when you go to Brda, it's even more Westward and still Slovenia.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3556
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

The Italian part also has a different administrative number.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3557
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Anyway, that road isn't so interesting any more since we're both in Schengen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3558
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

But it was, because in the past, Italy was a western country, and Yugoslavia was a communist country. If YU had ever entered the Eastern Block, this road would have been closed.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #3559
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

After years of discussions and pressure from the EU (that ended up this year with a threat to impose fines of over 10 million euros) customs booths at the French-Spanish border on the motorway AP7-A9 at La Jonquera will be dismantled. Works on that will start tomorrow.

It is expected that the works will take 3 months (booths removal, new pavement etc), after that a 90 Km/h speed limit will be set on that area. The different police forces from Spain and France made hughe complains about this (France used to have police 24 hrs a day at the border waving or ramdomly stopping each car, and Spain 12 hrs a day also waving or stopping randomly each vehicle. Cars had to pass in front of the police at 10 km/h generating cues, not what you expect from a schengen frontier). Currently spanish and french police have already left the frontier and set up random checks only at Le Bolou toll (A9) and La Jonquera Toll (AP7).

More info (in catalan language): http://www.aragirona.cat/noticia/383...-a-la-jonquera
Old October 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3560
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Do you know anything more about this 'EU threat'? Does it apply to border crossing in general or just this one?

I'm asking because they have recently started dismantling the booths in Pomellen (motorway Berlin - Szczecin) and I wonder if that's the reason.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways