daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #3561
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
After years of discussions and pressure from the EU (that ended up this year with a threat to impose fines of over 10 million euros) customs booths at the French-Spanish border on the motorway AP7-A9 at La Jonquera will be dismantled. Works on that will start tomorrow.

It is expected that the works will take 3 months (booths removal, new pavement etc), after that a 90 Km/h speed limit will be set on that area. The different police forces from Spain and France made hughe complains about this (France used to have police 24 hrs a day at the border waving or ramdomly stopping each car, and Spain 12 hrs a day also waving or stopping randomly each vehicle. Cars had to pass in front of the police at 10 km/h generating cues, not what you expect from a schengen frontier). Currently spanish and french police have already left the frontier and set up random checks only at Le Bolou toll (A9) and La Jonquera Toll (AP7).

More info (in catalan language): http://www.aragirona.cat/noticia/383...-a-la-jonquera
Finally, congratulations I hope that someone can post here some pictures as soon as it will be completely dismantled.
Well the Schengen treaty claims that you can'ty have even random checks at the borders but away from it. Unfortunately many member countries vilate this and moreover having police at the border 24h and 12h a day isn't random checks.At last tere must be granted fluet crossing of the border , so booths and a speed limits of 10km/h isnt a fluent passage.
Probably f the EU would fund the removal of tthe former border infrastructure there would be no more booths or other kind of obstacles.
I am wondering if these control of french and spanish police made some results in fighting the criminality, or it is just a way to assure own citizens that they do something to protect them.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3562
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
After years of discussions and pressure from the EU (that ended up this year with a threat to impose fines of over 10 million euros) customs booths at the French-Spanish border on the motorway AP7-A9 at La Jonquera will be dismantled. Works on that will start tomorrow.

It is expected that the works will take 3 months (booths removal, new pavement etc), after that a 90 Km/h speed limit will be set on that area. The different police forces from Spain and France made hughe complains about this (France used to have police 24 hrs a day at the border waving or ramdomly stopping each car, and Spain 12 hrs a day also waving or stopping randomly each vehicle. Cars had to pass in front of the police at 10 km/h generating cues, not what you expect from a schengen frontier). Currently spanish and french police have already left the frontier and set up random checks only at Le Bolou toll (A9) and La Jonquera Toll (AP7).

More info (in catalan language): http://www.aragirona.cat/noticia/383...-a-la-jonquera
Finally! I remember when I went to Spain with a Eurolines Bus 1 year ago, I spend more than 2 hours at La Jonquera border because of a double police control, before the French Gendarmerie at the border and than Spanish Guardia Civil immediately after it!
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #3563
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Indonesia - Papua New Guinea:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10218825 by Agus Simo

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9955088 by lakotani

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20672857 by dbunshin

What's that language on the right? Simple English?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3564
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13221

N81 Souk Ahras, Algeria

Algeria/Tunisia border

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3565
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ There is no border checking between Algeria and Tunisia?
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #3566
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13221

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
^ There is no border checking between Algeria and Tunisia?
Yes there is a checkpoint. Just a few kilometers before...

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #3567
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Indonesia - Papua New Guinea:

What's that language on the right? Simple English?
Yeah, in some way It's Tok Pisin, official language in Papua Niugini
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3568
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Tok Pisin, or "Talk Pidgin", a derivation from the English language and one of the reminders that England once owned a global empire.

In other words, some countries kept a kind of English as their language, unlike Australia or the USA who changed their language into something uncomprehensible...
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #3569
chumpon
Member Legend

Likes (Received): 1

Malaysian - Thailand border in Betong checkpoint

Old October 17th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #3570
chumpon
Member Legend

Likes (Received): 1

Malaysian - Thailand border

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3571
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Slovak-Polish border

in Tatras

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3572
eucitizen

Seem, if I am not wrong, the second picture regards the border on Dunajec river, in the Pieninsky national park.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #3573
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Yes, sorry for my are these hills still Tatras.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #3574
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
Finally! I remember when I went to Spain with a Eurolines Bus 1 year ago, I spend more than 2 hours at La Jonquera border because of a double police control, before the French Gendarmerie at the border and than Spanish Guardia Civil immediately after it!
Is that the crossing with the toll to leave and enter each country? If it is, in 2004 it took me 2 or 3 hours to cross it.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #3575
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Yeah, in some way It's Tok Pisin, official language in Papua Niugini
I thought it was literal English, like if a Spanish with no idea of English had written it
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #3576
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

The border between Reusel (NL, N284) and Arendonk (BE, N139). At the former policestation a new hotel is built at the border. There was a check for people entering the Netherlands (since I drove to Belgium I wasn't checked).

Old October 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #3577
aliesperet
Alfenaar!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Do you know anything more about this 'EU threat'? Does it apply to border crossing in general or just this one?

I'm asking because they have recently started dismantling the booths in Pomellen (motorway Berlin - Szczecin) and I wonder if that's the reason.
It is due to the Schengen Agreement , which means that all Schengen residents are allowed to travel without a passport across the countries that participate in the pact.
aliesperet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #3578
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Do you know anything more about this 'EU threat'? Does it apply to border crossing in general or just this one?

I'm asking because they have recently started dismantling the booths in Pomellen (motorway Berlin - Szczecin) and I wonder if that's the reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliesperet View Post
It is due to the Schengen Agreement , which means that all Schengen residents are allowed to travel without a passport across the countries that participate in the pact.
He is not making such an obvious question.. He is actually asking about the dismantling of booths at the borders, since a lot of all border crossings on schengen states still keep the booths on the motorways and highways. Most of them are empty all the time and abandoned, but still there. However, on some specific cases, the booths are not only still there but still frequently used by police forces to perform random checks way too often.

After the aproval of the schengen code of frontiers on 2006 the EU has been putting more pressure on member countries to remove all booths on all roads. Since there are hundreds of abandoned booths across Europe to be dismantled (which has a hughe cost of money) they are focusing on forcing the removal on the motorway border crossings and/or where local police forces seem to be making too many "random checks" and thus creating the psicological idea of a border still present and also damaging the fluidity on the roads with these checks. On a secondary road the presence of an abandoned booth doesn't make much problems and you keep the speed steady. But hughe booths on motorways along speed signs of 10 km/h as maximun DO complicate the driving and slow down the traffic generating cues. Even worst is on some motorway border crossings where there are continuous "random checks" at the booths...
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #3579
eucitizen

Well afterall Schengen treaty came into force in 1996 and in few countries and slowly enlarged till now. Only 14 years and the border crossing infrastructure existied for more longer and most of them were very expensive.
Anyway The best performing countries in removing the border infrastructure are Germany, Austria, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal.
Poland is the best performer among the newest members, then Czech rep.
Slovakia is removing very slowly mainly due to the fact that there are some unresolved dispute who should have the property of thouse buildings, then lack of money. Some borders crossing infrastructure was, however, removed. In any case Slovakia removed the worst obstacles for smooth crossing, except for the border crossing with Hungary, where they can only remove the whole infrastructure. But it costs money.
I have no idea what are doing the other newest members, afaik Hungary had poor performance. Anyway forumers from these countries can inform us better.
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #3580
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Snežnik (1,796 m) - Slovenia, behind the first yellow line - Croatia, behind the second yellow line - Bosnia.
Montalt (596 m) - Spain, behind the yellow line - France
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways