daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #341
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

These small pics are from the road and rail crossing between South Korea and North Korea. They are taken at Goseong, on the East Sea (or Japan Sea if youre Japanese) coast, looking towards the North from the Unification Observatory . According to Korean maps the DMZ is just that, a DMZ, and not a border at all. The maps show only one Korea, with the North as merely another 5 provinces (plus Gangwon and Gyeonggi provinces which overlap the DMZ). While the DMZ is marked on some maps, it can be hard to see, so I unwittingly approached it in several places , however the South Korean soldiers and their iron roadblocks make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that I couldnt go any further. At places like Goseong, trucks and Hyundai-Asan tour busses pass through frequently, but I believe the trains are somewhat less frequent on the new line.

marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #342
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Chris, thanks

Last edited by Alex Von Königsberg; March 12th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

All political posts have been deleted. Please keep ontopic. This is (again) not the place to discuss the Kosovo / Serbia issue.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #344
Alex Von Königsberg

Here is a small report on crossing the Peace Arch on our way to Victoria. Just for your information, both me and my wife are permanent residence in the USA, and thus we do not need visas to travel to Canada by car. All the pictures were taken by my wife, and I am very thankful to her because normally she is not as crazy about highway photography as moi

We are approaching the border on I-5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speed limit drops as we get within 800 metres of the border. NEXUS holders enjoy an easy border crossing (not sure what exactly it is)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two granite obelisks draw an international border line (marked by red colour). Past the line, the signs indicate the speed limit 30 km/h.

Finally we got to capture this sign that warms my heart Think metric, America!!!

As you can see, the line was rather short at the Canadian terminal

They are building a new customs building and will move terminals some 50 metres behind the current ones

A closer look at the terminal

This sums up our Canada-bound crossing.

Going back to the United States after enjoying wonderful Canada.

A few kilometres before the border on BC-99 highway, an electronic sign indicates the delay times for Pacific and Peace Arch crossings. Although Pacific crossing (situated a few kilometres to the east) would be faster for us, we took the Peace Arch because we haven’t experienced it yet

Getting within 800 metres of border crossing. The speed drops to 30 km/h. The building ahead is the new Canadian terminal under construction

A closer look at the future Canadian terminal. Here you can make a last U-turn without going through any terminals

A Peace Arch that symbolizes two countries’ common origin

Again two obelisks and a border line. The line of cars to the USA is longer than to Canada

Again, NEXUS holders enjoy quick border crossing… not necessarily (see last pic)

A closer look at the obelisk

Welcome to the United States… A little bit archaic, a little bit backward, but still a dream to many around the world…

When we were staying in line, there were two border guards with drug detection dogs walking along two lines of cars. Thankfully, the dog did not sniff anything suspicious about our car Still, we did not feel comfortable. Crossing into Canada was a less hassling process for us. This time, a US guard of Indian descent asked too many questions as if he was deciding whether he should let us back into the USA. Last two times, returning back was an easier process for us.

However, some Canadian NEXUS holders were not that lucky. A Honda sedan and this pickup smelled suspicious to the dogs, so the guards decided to check them out. After some inspection, the driver of the truck was told to park in a designated area for a more thorough search (we saw it later being searched)
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Even French in BC? (Arret)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #346
Alex Von Königsberg

Customs are operated by the federal government, so every sign is doubled in French. "Arręt" is only for border/customs STOP signs, all others in British Columbia are only in English.

Actually, I noticed that British Columbia is not very enthusiastic about having bilingual traffic signs.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #347
yesheh
Registered eccentric

Likes (Received): 0

in BC there are more people that speak either Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, or even German than speak french. Yet the federal government demands that all government offices be capable of offering services in both official languages. so yes, we're not very enthusiastic about it - even if it probably would be good for us. je ne parle pas français.
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #348
Alex Von Königsberg

Actually, I saw some street signs in Surrey that had Sanskrit characters underneath the English street name (along 120th Street).
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #349
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Here is a small report on crossing the Peace Arch on our way to Victoria.
Great report!

Quote:
Just for your information, both me and my wife are permanent residence in the USA, and thus we do not need visas to travel to Canada by car.
As far as I know, soon this will no longer be the case, and you will need a passport (of course, if you are a US citizen you won't need a visa). However, some Canadian provinces (and probably US states) are introducing new driver's licenses with encoded citizenship information that will hopefully allow crossing without a passport, pending negotiations. Ontario has already introduced this new license, which I will hopefully receive in a few months when I pass my final road test.

Quote:
When we were staying in line, there were two border guards with drug detection dogs walking along two lines of cars. Thankfully, the dog did not sniff anything suspicious about our car Still, we did not feel comfortable.
I know what you mean! When my family arrived at the Toronto airport 3 years ago from our visit in Israel, the dogs started sniffing our bag and we were asked if there was any food inside (I don't know if they were looking for drugs or for food, since importing most fresh food into Canada is also not allowed). We just answered "no" and were let go, but it was a slightly unpleasant situation.
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #350
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Actually, I saw some street signs in Surrey that had Sanskrit characters underneath the English street name (along 120th Street).
In Toronto there are many street names written in Chinese characters in Chinatown areas and in Greek characters in the area of the Greek community.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #351
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg
ust for your information, both me and my wife are permanent residents in the USA, and thus we do not need visas to travel to Canada by car.
As far as I know, soon this will no longer be the case, and you will need a passport (of course, if you are a US citizen you won't need a visa).
Actually, US permanent residents have always needed the passports to cross into Canada by car or boat. They just didn't need the visa. I don't think this will change any soon. However, the rules became tighter for the actual US and Canadian citizens, and now they need a passport or an enhanced driving license as you mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat
However, some Canadian provinces (and probably US states) are introducing new driver's licenses with encoded citizenship information that will hopefully allow crossing without a passport, pending negotiations. Ontario has already introduced this new license, which I will hopefully receive in a few months when I pass my final road test.
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #352
TheCat

Taba border crossing between Israel and Egypt, near the southern tip of Israel between the Israeli city of Eilat and the Egyptian city of Taba:

From the Israeli side:

Upon arriving in Egypt:

Old March 20th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #353
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

A few kilometers to the east, between Eilat in Israel and Aqaba in Jordan there's border crossing Wadi Araba / Yitzhak Rabin Terminal (just the Israeli side on the pic):

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #354
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87694

Courtesy of a mexican forumer: AnOnImO credits to him.

Mexico - USA border line (Matamoros - Brownsville)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOnImO View Post
Seguimos Con Mas Fotos More pics

El Limite De Los Dos Paises The boundary between the two countries

Las Casetas Del Lado De USA The check in tolls in the US side

Otra

Instalaciones De Las Aduana De USA

En Esta Seccion Nos Revisaron El Auto

Instagram: nikkodemo_
ˇˇˇ11 Ańos en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM   #355
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

USA and Mexico could both be called United States, hehe.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:16 AM   #356
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
USA and Mexico could both be called United States, hehe.
Yeah, since my personal opinion I'm desagree with official name of Mexico.

But it's ok, both nations are federations but everyone with a "unique" style..

Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #357
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Border between Austria (Lustenau) and Switzerland (Au)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ustenauAu1.JPG

different angle:

the bridge over the rhine, which is the border here:
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #358
Nikkodemo
ˇˇPueblaball!!

Very green border!!

The countries of Euro 2008...very interesting.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM   #359
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Finally we got to capture this sign that warms my heart Think metric, America!!!
Wow, I didn´t know that Canada is going metric!!! Welcome to the civilized world!
So the axis-of-imperial-system-using-countries consists now only of Liberia, Myanmar and the USA...
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM   #360
TheCat

Canada has been using the metric system since the 1970s, although unfortunately the process of metrication was somewhat stopped before its completion, so in some areas (such as construction, weights/heights of people) the Imperial system is used.

But road-wise, fortunately everything is metric.

Tags
highways, motorways