daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM   #3881
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
It is not really expressway. Sign is where is industrial zone I think and conditions of that section are really poor to be expressway. I .
I found some pics (I am aware it goes again to Eastern European topic. Even off topic, for God's sake, however might be helpful) of this section and it's signed as expressway.

From here:

And then again for merging traffic:

This part of that road is vignette free and looks very urban.

------------------------------------------------------

To get back on the topic let me paste some pictures(sic!) from Belgian-French border. Images has been taken some time ago and because of their poor quality never published, but I think it's good time to post them now.

We are driving on E40 and leaving Belgium.

Within the same set of pictures I found this. Dunkerque!
Leaving The Continent

piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3882
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

To get back on the topic let me paste some pictures(sic!) from Belgian-French border. Images has been taken some time ago and because of their poor quality never published, but I think it's good time to post them now.

We are driving on E40 and leaving Belgium.

Well, nice pictures from the E40 (the habour as well!). What could be stressed. The E40-motorway A18.be, A16.fr was built in 90s (it is really important because the Eurotunnel was opened that time as well - France/Belgium had been already members of "Schengen" so there are definitely no empty boarder-control-check-points. There is only smaller parking-site at the boarder. Even if it concerns Belgian motorway there are lamp-post only at the junctions at the A18 (quite new motorway...). There are lamp-posts at the A16 in France however usually turned off. Due to the surface the motorway A18 is a little bit more "noisy". This boarder is also language boarder.
I do not know - it is interesting but only the remark - there is no zero km of the A18 at the boarder but some 4. or 5.km. The fact is that the junctions of the A16 has be re-numbered in the past too.
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:03 PM   #3883
bogdymol
bogdymod

I found an interesting video showing the Karawanken Tunnel between Slovenia and Austria. The border is in the middle of the tunnel and since the tunnel was opened in 1991 there are remains of the check-point (now used to collect the tunnel crossing toll).

Entering the tunnel from Slovenia:

image hosted on flickr

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3884
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
there are remains of the check-point (now used to collect the tunnel crossing toll).
Not correct. There were 3 boots at each side of the tunnel: 1 for the toll (still in use), one for the Slovene (and even for a while Yugoslav) police/costoms and one for the Austrian. The customs/police boots are now not in use anymore but not demolished.

From Slovenia to Austria: Former checkpoint:

And the tollbooth
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3885
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Dutch car to the right
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3886
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I went only once there.

nice photo of brenner border crossing, it shows how important that pass is.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...UVE_CKsz0eONJg
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:57 PM   #3887
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
For us Western Europeans, Western Europe is west of the former iron curtain and Eastern Europe is East of the former iron curtan.
Exactly. Leipzig and Prague are already Eastern Europe. Even Slovenia, I can't see it as part of Western Europe.

Western Europe is basically all the countries that had the original Eurovision before 1990.

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #3888
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I went only once there.

nice photo of brenner border crossing, it shows how important that pass is.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...UVE_CKsz0eONJg
This is already after the border crossing, not the real border crossing.
On the Italian border crossing they are building a shopping mall, on the Austrian side a filling station.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:06 AM   #3889
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Exactly. Leipzig and Prague are already Eastern Europe. Even Slovenia, I can't see it as part of Western Europe.

Western Europe is basically all the countries that had the original Eurovision before 1990.

Except Yugoslavia
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:09 AM   #3890
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There was a time in my life that Central Europe seemed like an old-fashioned way of saying Eastern Europe. Maybe it's starting to switch the other way.
Here Central Europe evokes ideas of Archdukes as well as Tintin's Borduria, Syldavia, and King Ottokar's Sceptre.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:17 AM   #3891
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
On the Italian border crossing they are building a shopping mall, on the Austrian side a filling station.
As if I'm going out of my warm car when it's -13 outside...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3892
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
And the tollbooth
Péage?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:35 AM   #3893
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
That's the Austrian side. Here's the Slovenian side:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karawan...%28motorway%29

The border in the tunnel is also marked with coats of arms, but I don't have any pic.

Quote:
Even Slovenia, I can't see it as part of Western Europe.
Who said we're WE?

Quote:
Péage?
Yes. It should be replaced with 'toll'.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM   #3894
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
As if I'm going out of my warm car when it's -13 outside...
When both are opened it will be already spring or summer, so don´t worry you will be able to leave your warm car.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:47 AM   #3895
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I found an interesting video showing the Karawanken Tunnel between Slovenia and Austria. The border is in the middle of the tunnel and since the tunnel was opened in 1991 there are remains of the check-point (now used to collect the tunnel crossing toll).

image hosted on flickr

It is a long tunnel between Austria and Slovenia after I watched the video!

It reminds me of three tunnels I have been through in the USA: The George Wallace Tunnel in Mobile, Alabama which carries Interstate 10, the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore, Maryland which carries Interstate 95 (and it curves almost like the Karawanken Tunnel), and even the US 1 Tunnel in Ft. Lauderdale - the only tunnel in Florida.

However, there is a major difference I have noticed: The USA tunnels I mentioned are twin tubes that go under water while the Karawanken Tunnel is on land going under a mountain and it's just a single two-lane tunnel. Being a part of Slovenia's A2 and Austria's A11/A10 Motorways, would there be plans of constructing a parallel tunnel to bring it up to Motorway standards which would mean a continuous four-lane motorway between Salzburg and Ljubljana?

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:51 AM   #3896
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
It is a long tunnel between Austria and Slovenia after I watched the video!

It reminds me of three tunnels I have been through in the USA: The George Wallace Tunnel in Mobile, Alabama which carries Interstate 10, the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore, Maryland which carries Interstate 95 (and it curves almost like the Karawanken Tunnel), and even the US 1 Tunnel in Ft. Lauderdale - the only tunnel in Florida.

However, there is a major difference I have noticed: The USA tunnels I mentioned are twin tubes that go under water while the Karawanken Tunnel is on land going under a mountain and it's just a single two-lane tunnel. Being a part of Slovenia's A2 and Austria's A11/A10 Motorways, would there be plans of constructing a parallel tunnel to bring it up to Motorway standards which would mean a continuous four-lane motorway between Salzburg and Ljubljana?
[brief moment of off-topic indignation]
There's a George Wallace Tunnel? On an Interstate? I can understand all the Lee Highways and Jefferson Davis Highways, but naming late-20th-century bits of infrastructure for mid-20th-century segregationists is just wrong.
[end brief moment of off-topic indignation]

Ahem. Sorry....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM   #3897
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
would there be plans of constructing a parallel tunnel to bring it up to Motorway standards which would mean a continuous four-lane motorway between Salzburg and Ljubljana?
I heard of them, but that won't be soon.

@Verso
Quote:
Yes. It should be replaced with 'toll'.
it should stay Péage!!

@brisavoine
Quote:
Here Central Europe evokes ideas of Archdukes as well as Tintin's Borduria, Syldavia, and King Ottokar's Sceptre.

ça veut dire quoi eclipsés?

Quote:
Slovenia was (is) EE for sure. but I think the division of europe to east and west was artificial and political only, and today it exists only in our heads. not to mention that it has nothing to do with geography, as greece and austria all are further east as slovenia for example.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:30 AM   #3898
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Being a part of Slovenia's A2 and Austria's A11/A10 Motorways, would there be plans of constructing a parallel tunnel to bring it up to Motorway standards which would mean a continuous four-lane motorway between Salzburg and Ljubljana?
Maybe. Slovenia and the Austrian state of Carinthia (where the tunnel is located) are for it, while Vienna is against it (too many other one-tube tunnels in Austria). We'll know in the near future, because either another traffic tube or at least an evacuation tube needs to be built by 2019 by EU directives. Traffic is low, 7,000 AADT in 2009.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM   #3899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I think other tunnels in Austria need priority for twinning, especially in A9, where there are a few 15.000+ AADT single tube tunnels.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM   #3900
brisavoine
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
ça veut dire quoi eclipsés?
Ils se sont éclipsés. = They've slipped away.

Tags
highways, motorways