daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #3901
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

still, I don't understand the point. wasn't the story refering to politics in europe between WW1&2?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #3902
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
(..) What could be stressed. The E40-motorway A18.be, A16.fr was built in 90s (it is really important because the Eurotunnel was opened that time as well - France/Belgium had been already members of "Schengen" so there are definitely no empty boarder-control-check-points. There is only smaller parking-site at the boarder. Even if it concerns Belgian motorway there are lamp-post only at the junctions at the A18 (quite new motorway...). There are lamp-posts at the A16 in France however usually turned off. Due to the surface the motorway A18 is a little bit more "noisy". This boarder is also language boarder.
I do not know - it is interesting but only the remark - there is no zero km of the A18 at the boarder but some 4. or 5.km. The fact is that the junctions of the A16 has be re-numbered in the past too.
Very useful information. Thanks for that and keep it up.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3903
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
still, I don't understand the point. wasn't the story refering to politics in europe between WW1&2?
It's the ambiance of "Central Europe".

Whereas the ambiance of our dear old Western Europe is more like this:

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #3904
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 916

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
This is already after the border crossing, not the real border crossing.
On the Italian border crossing they are building a shopping mall, on the Austrian side a filling station.
On the Italian side, other than the shopping mall, the very imposing structure that is rising will host some offices of the company managing the motorway (Autostrada del Brennero S.p.A. / Brennerautobahn AG) as well.

In the last years, due to the completed European integration, the border has changed a lot.
Now there is a tunnel dividing Austria and Italy.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #3905
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

I taken this 2 weeks ago when I came from England

Bratislava - Jarovce / Austria (motorways A6/D4)

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:54 PM   #3906
abdeka
Algerian moderator

Likes (Received): 13062

A few kilometers from the Algerian/Moroccan closed border (Algerian side)

http://www.panoramio.com/user/221658...to_id=45728473

Visit the ALGERIAN FORUM
abdeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #3907
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Intersting that it is blocked further up, not at the exit
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #3908
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Also interesting that the border and Oujda are on the signs but never can be reached.

The sign seems quite new anyway
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #3909
obserwator-kraka

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
Slovenia was (is) EE for sure. but I think the division of europe to east and west was artificial and political only, and today it exists only in our heads. not to mention that it has nothing to do with geography, as greece and austria all are further east as slovenia for example.
It is really a funny discusion, but in the history there were many lines dividing Europe into West and East, (there is an interesting map in Norman Davies history of Europe), like a line dividing Europe by religion - western and eastern christianism (which now would be more less eastern borders of Baltic countries, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary), then the line of limits of Roman Empire (more less Alps and Danube), then the limits of western art and architectural styles, and so on and finally Iron Curtain and now maybe the borders of EU. So, it is very difficult to say where this border is (it doesn't really exists), so the concept of Central Europe is quite a good idea, at first it is geografically correct and somehow all those lines cross in so called Central Europe which includes somehow as well Switzerland as Baltic States. Heart of it would be somwhere between Germany and Poland and the heart of hearts is maybe Austria and Bohemia (more less Czech Rep.) but of course everyone can discuss about it, that is why this topic of international borders in Europe is so fascinating, on one hand we have so many of them, on the other at least in EU we can cross them wothout obstacles now - this situation is still fresh for former communist countries as my country - Poland - maybe that's why this tread is more occupied by stories and pictures from this part of Europe, for most so called Western Europeans, borders are not so interesting anymore, after ten years or even very often now for most of people even in Poland it will be (it is) just normal to drive to Germany, Slovakia, Czech Rep. or Baltic States without even stopping on the border and just sometimes someone can say: 20 years ago I would never believe that I would cross the border in this way...
All the best in New Year for everyone!

P.S. If we take this idea that Central Europe would be something like former Austro-Hungarian Empire, then my city Krakow would be still Central Europe (as well as Lviv which is Ukrainian now) but Warsaw - capital of Poland not anymore... - I think it's too much simplified idea, but of course it has some point
obserwator-kraka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #3910
brisavoine
BANNED

Border between Congo and Uganda. The subtext says: "Trust doesn't exclude checking, but checking reinforces trust."

[img]http://i54.************/2ic4npj.jpg[/img]
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3911
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

P.S. If we take this idea that Central Europe would be something like former Austro-Hungarian Empire, then my city Krakow would be still Central Europe (as well as Lviv which is Ukrainian now) but Warsaw - capital of Poland not anymore... - I think it's too much simplified idea, but of course it has some point [/QUOTE]

As my experiences, Krakow - the historical capital city - is the most beautiful city in Poland. The important advantage was the avoiding of so cruel devastation during WW1 - in comparison with the huge demages in Warsawa, Wroclaw etc. I stress some other cities in Poland (Warsawa - no need to open the discussion Warsawa or Krakow etc., Gdansk, Poznan etc.) are worthy to discover them, only the fact if only one city would have to be selected....I would say Krakow - the city with really nice old downtown.

Krakow (as well as Lwow) were parts of Austria (or later Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy - however all the time located in Austrian part) - after the triple dividing of Poland - among Austria, Russia and Germany (Prussland that time...). So Krakow held its "Central European spirit" (it is only my definition) - as the part of Austria. The Wawel castle is also part of Czech history. The city was connected with Vienna by so called Northern railroad. The city is the centre of Malopolski region - definitely one of the most important region of the international tourism (not only Krakow or Auschwitz or Krakow, however Salt Mines in Wieliczka, mountain resort Zakopane and Tatra mountains, Wadowice - birth place of John Paul II., Kalwaria Zebrz. etc. etc. It is not not more than 2 hours of drive from CZ or SK boarders. It means, Krakow and Malopolski county is really Poland on a small and usually if tourist from Central Europe travel to Poland they visit Krakow and Malopolska. In 2008 the city celebrates 325th anniversary of the bottle at Vienna and defeating of Turkish army there (1683). Krakow calls out its Central European roots and connections. Between Wawel Castle and the Main Square there is the Royal Route (walk), same as in Prague....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3912
Pfosten

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
This is already after the border crossing, not the real border crossing.
On the Italian border crossing they are building a shopping mall, on the Austrian side a filling station.
no that is the border crossingstation of the railway!!

the border of the brenner highway is on the left side, the white overhead sign in front of the tunnel is about 100/200m after the border between austria and italy!!
Pfosten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3913
obserwator-kraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
As my experiences, Krakow - the historical capital city - is the most beautiful city in Poland. The important advantage was the avoiding of so cruel devastation during WW1 - in comparison with the huge demages in Warsawa, Wroclaw etc. I stress some other cities in Poland (Warsawa - no need to open the discussion Warsawa or Krakow etc., Gdansk, Poznan etc.) are worthy to discover them, only the fact if only one city would have to be selected....I would say Krakow - the city with really nice old downtown.

Krakow (as well as Lwow) were parts of Austria (or later Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy - however all the time located in Austrian part) - after the triple dividing of Poland - among Austria, Russia and Germany (Prussland that time...). So Krakow held its "Central European spirit" (it is only my definition) - as the part of Austria. The Wawel castle is also part of Czech history. The city was connected with Vienna by so called Northern railroad. The city is the centre of Malopolski region - definitely one of the most important region of the international tourism (not only Krakow or Auschwitz or Krakow, however Salt Mines in Wieliczka, mountain resort Zakopane and Tatra mountains, Wadowice - birth place of John Paul II., Kalwaria Zebrz. etc. etc. It is not not more than 2 hours of drive from CZ or SK boarders. It means, Krakow and Malopolski county is really Poland on a small and usually if tourist from Central Europe travel to Poland they visit Krakow and Malopolska. In 2008 the city celebrates 325th anniversary of the bottle at Vienna and defeating of Turkish army there (1683). Krakow calls out its Central European roots and connections. Between Wawel Castle and the Main Square there is the Royal Route (walk), same as in Prague....
hmm there is also a Moravian connection as well - Krakow was a part of Great Moravian Country before Poland even existed - but we are really out of topic now - sorry - I shut up
obserwator-kraka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #3914
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

RO/HU border on the Hungarian side looks quite new. Why bother wasting money on something to be demolished soon? Maybe it looks new, but there was not much cash put into it as it looks in that video.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #3915
brisavoine
BANNED

This bridge is on the border between English-speaking Nigeria and French-speaking Cameroon (cars in the picture are crossing the border into Cameroon from Nigeria).

image hosted on flickr
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #3916
magm

Likes (Received): 41

San Ysidro (San Diego, CA, USA)- Tijuana (Mexico). Busiest Border crossing in the World. Approximately more than 100,000 people cross the border here between Mexico and the United States daily... and the weekends are even worse. You can make about an 1 hour to 3 hours of waiting time. The worse ive been was 5 hours, back in 2001. Brought to you by 9/11

Here the entry to Mexico. Not quite as bad but at rush hour you can make up to 1 hour.

and currently the border is experimenting some renovations.
Quote:
Future Expansion of the San Ysidro-Tijuana (USA-MEXICO) Int' Border crossing.

The number of northbound vehicle inspection lanes will increase from 24 to 34.

Southbound lanes will increase from six to as many as 12.

There will be two pedestrian crossing areas in both directions on either side of Interstate 5. Currently, there is one northbound pedestrian crossing east of I-5, and one southbound crossing that’s west of I-5.

The revamped port of entry will have more buildings for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, a larger primary and secondary vehicle inspection area, and a larger northbound connection and a realigned southbound connection to Mexico’s planned El Chaparral Land Point of Entry facility.

The Mexican side of the project involves moving southbound lanes west of the current crossing and more than doubling their number — to 19.

Officials said by the end of this year, workers will complete two of four bridges connected to the expansion: Three will channel southbound traffic to different parts of Tijuana, while the fourth will feed into the northbound lanes.
The project will be carried out in three phases
Phase I involves the expansion of northbound vehicle lanes, the implementation of dual primary vehicle inspection booths and a higher capacity secondary inspection facility.

Phase II involves the demolition of the current administrative building and construction of bigger replacement along with a multi-story employee parking structure. A new pedestrian processing building will also be constructed.

Phase III involves the relocation of the southbound lanes entering Mexico. These lanes will be moved west of their current location to make space for the planned expansion of new buildings, parking structure and extra northbound lanes. Their new location will allow for a southbound traffic checkpoint to facilitate U.S. officials to conduct inspection of vehicles heading to Mexico. Mexican officials will greet vehicles and occupants at a bigger and better equipped immigration and customs inspection station known as Puerta Mexico El Chaparral.
magm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #3917
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

5 hours for a 100.000 people-a-day border crossing.

Back in the 90's you could wait 8 hours for a 5.000 people-a-day border crossing in eastern Europe!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #3918
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

How it was before 9/11?
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3919
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 676

1-3 hours is nothing
AlexisMD está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #3920
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
RO/HU border on the Hungarian side looks quite new. Why bother wasting money on something to be demolished soon? Maybe it looks new, but there was not much cash put into it as it looks in that video.
You never know what will happen in this crazy Europe.

For example our border crossings with Austria were running during the Euro 2008.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways