daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #4001
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9950

Here's a pic I took of the Franco-Monegasque border (between Fontvieille, Monaco and Cap d'Ail, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur).
The area was reclaimed from the sea in the 70s.

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4002
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

Re: USA-Canada

The USA are becoming the new Eastern Block, with iron curtains all around and paranoia going on. But while in Europe people felt incarcerated for 40 years until the fall of the Berlin wall, Americans cheer up to measurements against "terrorism" and "illigal immigration". As history teaches us, such a regime won't last for long. Maybe America is still freedom-loving enough to survive all the those Sarah Palins and Glenn Becks.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:54 AM   #4003
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

North American Union
What do you think about the North American Union and what about the border?
Amero???? have you ever heard of that????

The noth american border will be with belize and Guatemala!!!???
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:07 AM   #4004
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't think an NAU is the subject of this thread.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:49 AM   #4005
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
Re: USA-Canada

The USA are becoming the new Eastern Block, with iron curtains all around and paranoia going on. But while in Europe people felt incarcerated for 40 years until the fall of the Berlin wall, Americans cheer up to measurements against "terrorism" and "illigal immigration". As history teaches us, such a regime won't last for long. Maybe America is still freedom-loving enough to survive all the those Sarah Palins and Glenn Becks.
BIG difference here - the 'Iron Curtain' border was fortified as it was to keep their own people in, the USA's border is being 'strengthened' to keep bad people OUT.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM   #4006
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
BIG difference here - the 'Iron Curtain' border was fortified as it was to keep their own people in, the USA's border is being 'strengthened' to keep bad people OUT.

Mike
What about the bad people who already reside in the States? The July terrorist bombings several years back in London were committed by people who were from the UK.

There is no border security check that can comprehensively stop 'bad' people entering a country. Here in Australia I am completely over the ridiculous paranoia at points of entry. This country really needs to get over itself.

But I digress...

The border between France and Monaco is fascinating as it's basically urban and I guess can run along people's walls and fences. Are there customs checks between the two?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #4007
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Are there customs checks between the two?
Nope !

Should we ??

Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4008
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Nope !

Should we ??

I should hope not!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #4009
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post
Ridiculous to enforce the US-Canadian border, it's like trying to enforce state or province borders.
The logical and common-sensical solution for Stanstead/Derby Line should be a border-zone customs/immigration system like the one in place in the border city of Chuy (Rocha Department, Uruguay)/Chui (Rio Grande do Sul State, Brazil).

The international border (marked by the street lamps) between Uruguay and Brazil runs through the middle of the cities's International Avenue (which is composed of Brasil Avenue in the Uruguayan side and Uruguai Avenue in the Brazilian side)

The Brazilian

and Uruguayan

border posts are located outside the cities on the roads leading to them.

Once you enter the border zone beyond the customs and immigration checkpoints you can freely cross the border back and forth between Chuy and Chui, but when you leave the border zone, either towards Brazil or Uruguay, you have to clear customs regardless of whether you actually crossed the borderline from Chuy to Chui or viceversa. For example, if you travel from La Coronilla (Uruguay) to 18 de Julio or San Luis (Uruguay), you go beyond the checkpoint in Route 9 (pictured above), enter Chuy and hang a left at the Uruguayan side of the International Avenue without the need to cross into Brazil. You drive west on the highway (Route 19) which lies in the Uruguayan side of the border

and cross the bridge over Arroyo San Miguel (San Miguel Creek)

which marks the end of the border zone, and along which the border that runs parallel to Route 19 turns right towards the north. After you cross the creek, you have to report to Uruguayan customs at the Fortin de San Miguel border post

before continuing on, even though you never entered Brazil. Same thing happens to a Brazilian who comes to Chui (Brazil) from Santa Vitoria do Palmar, for example, and never crosses the border, but has to clear customs on Route 471 upon his return home. Likewise, if he came from Brazil and crossed into Uruguay but never reached the Uruguay border post, he can return to Brazil without checking with Uruguayan customs, but will have to clear Brazilian customs upon exiting the border zone (and viceversa for someone who comes from Uruguay).

Such a system at the border cities in Quebec/Vermont and Quebec/New York would eliminate the hassles that the Unites States government has created for border residents. Those who live in the cities and never left the border zones encompassing them would never have to report at the border posts unless leaving the border zones towards the rest of the Unites States or Canada.

(Photos are from Panoramio, featured in Google Earth).

Last edited by El Tiburon; January 24th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #4010
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't think an NAU is the subject of this thread.

Maybe... but what would happen with the mexican-american border with a North American Union?
erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #4011
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
Once you enter the border zone beyond the customs and immigration checkpoints you can freely cross the border back and forth between Chuy and Chui, but when you leave the border zone, either towards Brazil or Uruguay, you have to clear customs regardless of whether you actually crossed the borderline from Chuy to Chui or viceversa. For example, if you travel from La Coronilla (Uruguay) to 18 de Julio or San Luis (Uruguay), you go beyond the checkpoint in Route 9 (pictured above), enter Chuy and hang a left at the Uruguayan side of the International Avenue without the need to cross into Brazil. You drive west on the highway (Route 19) which lies in the Uruguayan side of the border
before continuing on, even though you never entered Brazil. Same thing happens to a Brazilian who comes to Chui (Brazil) from Santa Vitoria do Palmar, for example, and never crosses the border, but has to clear customs on Route 471 upon his return home. Likewise, if he came from Brazil and crossed into Uruguay but never reached the Uruguay border post, he can return to Brazil without checking with Uruguayan customs, but will have to clear Brazilian customs upon exiting the border zone (and viceversa for someone who comes from Uruguay).
I've been there a couple of times... back in the early 80's the border checks were a bit of a hassle there, although they are mainly aimed at cheking ilegal imports on your trunk rather than ID checks... but by the late 90's, from what I remember, the border checks were minimal to non existent... just some police waving you... moreover the border posts can be easily avoided by taking secondary roads if you want. I haven't been there over the last 10 years. What's the situation like nowdays?
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #4012
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
I've been there a couple of times... back in the early 80's the border checks were a bit of a hassle there, although they are mainly aimed at cheking ilegal imports on your trunk rather than ID checks... but by the late 90's, from what I remember, the border checks were minimal to non existent... just some police waving you... moreover the border posts can be easily avoided by taking secondary roads if you want. I haven't been there over the last 10 years. What's the situation like nowdays?
In the 2000's, you stop at the border post, they ask you the usual questions (where you are going, where you are coming from, what you bought) and sometimes they ask you to open the trunk to see if you are carrying "bagayo" (smuggled goods) for resale. Now that Brazilian money is strong, bagayo flows the other way because goods are cheaper in the Uruguayan side of the avenue.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4013
Calgully

Likes (Received): 1

Here is an international border you probably didn't expect to see. From Australia!

The very northern part of Australia is Saibai Island in the Torres Strait. It is only about 4km from the southern coast of Papua New Guinea.

Here is a google earth link showing a satellite image of the small water crossing separating the two countries:

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en....3368&t=h&z=12

And here is a photograph taken from a boat pier on the North shore of Saibai looking across to Sidabadu on the South coast of Papua New Guinea.

http://www.ozoutback.com.au/Australi...001021508.html

You can see the coast of PNG in the background. There are many inhabitants of Saibai island that are of New Guinean ethnicity, and apparently there is significant unchecked local travel between the two countries here. It is almost a single community across two countries.

This is probably the first and last post on Australian international borders that you are likely to see in this forum.
Calgully no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4014
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1736

If you want to open a can of worms you could argue that Australia has a land border in the Antarctic Territory.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #4015
Calgully

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
If you want to open a can of worms you could argue that Australia has a land border in the Antarctic Territory.
Whoa - probably dont want to open that can of worms. BUT if I did, maybe the South Pole is the world's only example of an eleven-way multi border point!

See here http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ial_claims.svg
Calgully no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4016
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Or the center of the Earth (hypothetically).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #4017
Filou
Urban dweller

Likes (Received): 2545

The border between De Panne (Belgium) and Bray-Dunes (France) The customs booth is now a chocolat shop!

View direction Belgium

View direction France

Bus stop at the border:

Old January 27th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #4018
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgully View Post
Whoa - probably dont want to open that can of worms. BUT if I did, maybe the South Pole is the world's only example of an eleven-way multi border point!

See here http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ial_claims.svg
Other than the PNG one you showed, is there any other part of Australia's territory where you can see another country? I can't think of one.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #4019
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou View Post
The customs booth is now a chocolat shop!
Leonidas customs.... I loooove the idea ! (although I really don't like the Leonidas' chocolates, I think I can make an excpetion for that kind of shops)

Long live the Benefrageritalux union !

Last edited by parcdesprinces; January 27th, 2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4020
chumpon
Member Legend

Malaysia & Thailand Border

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by chumpon; January 27th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
chumpon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways