daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4021
Calgully

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
Other than the PNG one you showed, is there any other part of Australia's territory where you can see another country? I can't think of one.

I can't think of any different locations, but a bit further West of Saibai are Dauan and Boigu islands - both of which have views of PNG mainland similar to that from Saibai. In fact Boigu is even further north than Saibai but perhaps slightly further from PNG.

Here's a map showing the relative positions of the Islands and PNG. It's amazing that the border is so close to the PNG mainland.

Many may not know that PNG was formerly a territory of Australia until 1975when it gained independence. I presume the Australians negotiated a favourable border definition giving them ownership of ALL islands in Torres Strait - including presumably any oilfields influence over shipping etc.

This photo from Boigu island shows PNG in the background

image hosted on flickr

And another one from the air shows it even more clearly
image hosted on flickr

Here is another view of PNG from Australia's Saibai island.

Calgully no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4022
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Leonidas customs.... I loooove the idea ! (although I really don't like the Leonidas' chocolates, I think I can make an excpetion for that kind of shops)

Long live the Benefrageritalux union !

Whose tax are they paying?
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #4023
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1732

Yeah I knew about PNG being a former territory. As far as I'm aware it had the only international land border of Australia since it came into existence, with the Dutch East Indies then Indonesia.

Since Australia gained independence well before Indonesia, you could almost argue that Australia had a border with the Netherlands

I supposed you could also argue we had a border with Japan for a while too...? Not so sure about that one.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4024
Calgully

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
I supposed you could also argue we had a border with Japan for a while too...? Not so sure about that one.
Not sure about that, but definitely Germany from 1884 to 1914 when Germany had annexed Northern New Guinea, and Australia had annexed Papua. WWI put an end to the German involvement though.
Calgully no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4025
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1732

Wow, I've learnt something new today. Thanks!
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #4026
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgully View Post
Not sure about that, but definitely Germany from 1884 to 1914 when Germany had annexed Northern New Guinea, and Australia had annexed Papua. WWI put an end to the German involvement though.
That's not quite right. Technically it was British territory right up until 1975, but administered by Australia. The Southern bit was administratively handed to them by the British along with the 'confiscated' former German colony of Papua.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #4027
mapco

Likes (Received): 0

Pre-Schengen border between Austria and Slovakia

mapco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #4028
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

were you driving backward?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM   #4029
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

Here is one regional border crossing between Croatia and Slovenia. Although pictures are quite old, crossing looks the same now. I'll also show you "the paper" with which Croatian citizens can enter some schengen countries (Italy, Slovenia & Hungary). Although when we are in Slovenia, we can go anywhere in EU, but that is illegal.

So, pictures.

This bridge is border between Croatia (behind me) and Slovenia, village Rigonce.

This is the paper which Croatian citizens get if they don't carry passport. Each entrance into schengen area must be marked with Slovenian (or Italia, Hungary) stamp and marked once again when leaving that country. You do not need to leave country on same crossing where have you entered.

And this is after Slovenian border crossing building, showing driving regulations in Slovenia.

And this are pictures when returning to Croatia (it's not the same trip).

I have entered Slovenia on another border crossing, colloquially called "mala Bregana", near international border crossing Bregana, so entrance stamp iz Obre×je. Return trip was via Rigonce, the border crossing I showed you on first set of pictures.

This house is still on Slovenian side, but after you pass Slovenian customs. Nevertheless, you need to take right turn before customs to get there. (You can see that on Google maps)

And this is Croatian side of border crossing.

phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #4030
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I didn't know we use SI instead of SLO. What about other countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiberoptik View Post
I have entered Slovenia on another border crossing, colloquially called "mala Bregana", near international border crossing Bregana, so entrance stamp iz Obrežje.
Are you sure you entered at "mala Bregana"? That border crossing is called 'Slovenska vas', not 'Obrežje'. Obrežje is the main (motorway) border crossing (Bregana).

Once I drove to the Rigonce border crossing, but I didn't enter Croatia, I just turned around on some gravel road and drove back. Slovenian police rushed after me and stopped me, cause they thought I had come from Croatia and entered Slovenia illegally.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM   #4031
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I didn't know we use SI instead of SLO. What about other countries?

Are you sure you entered at "mala Bregana"? That border crossing is called 'Slovenska vas', not 'Obre×je'. Obre×je is the main (motorway) border crossing (Bregana).
Well, all SLO stamps that I have in passport are with SI written.

Yes, it's Obre×je. Those days you did not have vignette (still) so one could drive on A2 till Drnovo. I forgot that . My friend was driving Fiat punto and we were heading to Petrol gas station in Bre×ice. For full tank of gasoline, it was around 7Ç cheaper then in Croatia (and we have two refinery, you don't). And then back via Mostec, Trnje, with stop in Dobova in Paradizo pizza & restarurant to spend those 7Ç and back via Rigonce. Those were the days.
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #4032
Verso
Islander

^ Yeah, those were the days, when we had the cheapest fuel around. Now it's the most expensive (after Italy).
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:16 AM   #4033
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quick question - is there a list of Slovenia-Croatia border crossings anywhere?

I'm headed down that way in summer, and I'd like to try and get in a few of the crossings - preferably small ones

(incidentally, does Slovenia/Croatia still have local border crossings, for citizens of Slovenia/Croatia only?)
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM   #4034
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Quick question - is there a list of Slovenia-Croatia border crossings anywhere?
Here they are: http://www.policija.si/index.php/com...rticle/119/526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
(incidentally, does Slovenia/Croatia still have local border crossings, for citizens of Slovenia/Croatia only?)
Yes, many. Some can be crossed by citizens of EU, EEA, Switzerland, and Croatia.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4035
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

http://www.policija.si/eng/index.php...order-crossing

In English also
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #4036
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Here are some Portuguese-Spanish border crossings.

There are some widely circulated photos of a road getting significantly smaller when going from Spain into Portugal

P.S, I found one thats even worse than the two above.

Picture was taken in Portugal

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; February 3rd, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #4037
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

That vandalism of the border signs is very...Belgian.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4038
DanielFigFoz

You get that all over the place on the Galician border, and near to Olivenša too I guess. I'll try to find some pictures of the latter, although as Olivenša is inactively claimed by the Portuguese Government, the border might not be signed. ("Inactively" is subject to opinion, the Portuguese started building a bridge across the river there, only to be stopped by the Spanish Police, and when a nearby dam was built, the PT government gave the Spanish a report on the effects of the dam on Spain, they originally left Olivenša out. When this was complained about they re sent the report saying "Spain and Olivenša")
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM   #4039
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
You get that all over the place on the Galician border, and near to Olivenša too I guess. I'll try to find some pictures of the latter, although as Olivenša is inactively claimed by the Portuguese Government, the border might not be signed. ("Inactively" is subject to opinion, the Portuguese started building a bridge across the river there, only to be stopped by the Spanish Police, and when a nearby dam was built, the PT government gave the Spanish a report on the effects of the dam on Spain, they originally left Olivenša out. When this was complained about they re sent the report saying "Spain and Olivenša")
I don't get what they're trying to say. In the one with "fronteira" crossed out, are they saying "this shouldn't be a border - we want to be part of Portugal," or objecting to the Portuguese spelling of "fronteira"? I can't make up what's going on in the sign in the photo above that - I can see that they're trying to change the spelling of Galicia, but what are they changing it to - Galiza? And in the bottom sign, is it "Galiza livre" or "Galiza [part of] Portugal livre"?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM   #4040
DanielFigFoz

They are saying that there shouldn't be a border and by "Galiza livre" it is an exclamation, basically they are saying that it should be Portuguese. Galiza is the Portuguese spelling. There's a photo somewhere that says "ESPANHA 1KM" and some one wrote on top "N├O ╔ ESPANHA, ╔ GALIZA" ("its not Spain, it's Galicia")

There are also graffiti saying, in Galician, "Galiza nom Ú espanha" (Galicia isn't spain)

Tags
highways, motorways