daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #4121
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,480
Likes (Received): 2097

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know that.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #4122
panda80
Registered User
 
panda80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Braila/Bucharest
Posts: 4,371
Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbh444 View Post
Also it's easily confused with Moldova (top middle). Strange that 2 so different countries (Andorra and Turkey) should be in their own little category.
Moldova's flag is not there. Moldova became independent in 1991, being integrated in Russia or Romania till then.
__________________
my clinched highways
my flights
my travelogue Now Dresden, Germany
Skilldetector A new HR platform where everything is about your skills!
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #4123
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Oy.
The Vatican's not part of Schengen?? I'm visualizing a border post at the entrance to Saint Peter's Square....
That "border post" is a security check area before entering the area of St. Peter's Basilica. I was there in 2008 and no passport or ID checks were required, only a security check for weapons and other illegal goods.
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #4124
invincibletiger
Registered User
 
invincibletiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,894
Likes (Received): 2815

Deve Bair border crossing between Macedonia and Bulgaria
invincibletiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #4125
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
Moldova's flag is not there.
It's between Georgia and Montenegro (the uppermost flag).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #4126
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
In Romania the monthly wages of the customs officers is about 400-700 €. Not so much in European standards, but enough in Romanian standards. And a low salary should not be a motivation to became corrupt. Although many of them really are, especially at the Eastern and Northern border crossings with Ukraine and Moldova or the Southern border with Serbia, the main points for smuggling cheap goods into Romania, especially cigarettes.
A lot of these officers have been arrested these days, in an anti-corruption police operation started by Bucharest: see here.
It wouldn't surprise me if they earn just as little in Portugal. Well, the minimum wage in Portugal is €500, but the average wage is €700 so it wouldn't be too bad.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4127
Haljackey
Registered User
 
Haljackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 703
Likes (Received): 107

Conceptual images of the Windsor-Essex Parkway: a new highway which will link Detroit, USA and Windsor, Canada via a new bridge at the border crossing.









Video


Website: http://www.weparkway.ca/

The Windsor-Essex Parkway will create a full freeway link at the busiest border crossing in the world (in terms of trade $).

Construction starts later this year. Prep work begun in 2010.
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #4128
Moravian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 747
Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
That "border post" is a security check area before entering the area of St. Peter's Basilica. I was there in 2008 and no passport or ID checks were required, only a security check for weapons and other illegal goods.
The control at St.Peters Square (just at the colonnade) is quite normal security check like at the airport. It is not focused on the passport or ID card control - even if you are crossing one border line. The tricky point is that there is only one-way-traffic. Behind this security control at the entrance gate to the Basilica the visitors have to decide if they want to enter the church or if they want to walk up the cupole or visit the crypts....If the tourists want to visit the local information center and postal service (southern part of the square) they leave that restriction/protected area and it is not possible to come back again without the passing through the security control at the northern part of the square (again). The suitable clothing is required for visiting of the Basilica.
There are only two "border crossings" in Vatican City - this one at St.Peters Square and the Northern Gate, the official entrance of the Vaticans Museum. Another issue are the extraterritorial buildings of Vatican in Rome (Lateran etc.).
Quite interesting fact is that the Vatican State is "closed" (de facto it concerns museum and the Basilica - for tourists) at night (8 p.m - 7 a.m) and you could visit only the square.....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #4129
tbh444
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 66
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Conceptual images of the Windsor-Essex Parkway: a new highway which will link Detroit, USA and Windsor, Canada via a new bridge at the border crossing.
I was amazed to read recently that there is no way of travelling between Detroit & Windsor on foot, given the downtown areas are so close together (unless you happen to be competing in the annual Detroit Marathon), I wonder if this extra capacity might allow them to rectify this?
tbh444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #4130
Eulanthe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,228
Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
There are only two "border crossings" in Vatican City - this one at St.Peters Square and the Northern Gate, the official entrance of the Vaticans Museum. Another issue are the extraterritorial buildings of Vatican in Rome (Lateran etc.).
Quite interesting fact is that the Vatican State is "closed" (de facto it concerns museum and the Basilica - for tourists) at night (8 p.m - 7 a.m) and you could visit only the square.....
No, not quite.

There actually are some border controls by both the Vatican City and Italy. From what I've seen over the course of several days, the Italian "Guardia di Finanza" are normally hanging out at some point along the Via della Concilliazione and on Via di Porta Angelica. I've witnessed them doing random ID checks - so these can be considered selective border controls. The Vatican police are also monitoring the border on the square too.

On the other hand, the Vatican City enforces proper border control on the border crossing Via di Porta Angelica/Via del Belvedere. A valid pass in combination with ID is needed to enter into the Vatican City at this point - though you can access the Church of St Anne without needing a pass. This is pretty much the reason why the Vatican isn't part of Schengen - they would have to abandon the control at this point, and obviously, they aren't willing to do so. I'm also sure that the border crossing located on Piazza del Sant Uffizio is also restricted to pass holders only.

It would perhaps be best to say that while the Vatican City still has border controls, these are relaxed in certain areas.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #4131
Rombi
Registered User
 
Rombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gdynia
Posts: 924
Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they earn just as little in Portugal. Well, the minimum wage in Portugal is €500, but the average wage is €700 so it wouldn't be too bad.
You are joking. So it's true that Portugal is called "sick man of europe" as The Economist said... really unbelievable if you think that in middle ages it was one of the reachest countries in the world
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #4132
Moravian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 747
Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
No, not quite.

There actually are some border controls by both the Vatican City and Italy. From what I've seen over the course of several days, the Italian "Guardia di Finanza" are normally hanging out at some point along the Via della Concilliazione and on Via di Porta Angelica. I've witnessed them doing random ID checks - so these can be considered selective border controls. The Vatican police are also monitoring the border on the square too.

On the other hand, the Vatican City enforces proper border control on the border crossing Via di Porta Angelica/Via del Belvedere. A valid pass in combination with ID is needed to enter into the Vatican City at this point - though you can access the Church of St Anne without needing a pass. This is pretty much the reason why the Vatican isn't part of Schengen - they would have to abandon the control at this point, and obviously, they aren't willing to do so. I'm also sure that the border crossing located on Piazza del Sant Uffizio is also restricted to pass holders only.

It would perhaps be best to say that while the Vatican City still has border controls, these are relaxed in certain areas.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. Well, the Lateran Accords are not the integral part of the Schengens "package"....

The entrance gate Via di Porta Angelica/Via del Belvedere is always guarded - as I know. I did not know the public access is (generally) possible there - maybe with the exception of the St.Annas church. There are barracks of the Swiss Guards as well.

As I know - at the Piazza del St.Uffizio/Santa Maria della Pieta - there are also security controls (there is a fence) in case that the public audience takes place at the Aula Paolo VI. But there is the regular border crossing in the day-time.....
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #4133
aswnl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: near Amsterdam (NL)
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haljackey View Post
Conceptual images of the Windsor-Essex Parkway: a new highway which will link Detroit, USA and Windsor, Canada via a new bridge at the border crossing.

The Windsor-Essex Parkway will create a full freeway link at the busiest border crossing in the world (in terms of trade $).

Construction starts later this year. Prep work begun in 2010.
Why are they going to destroy so much residential homes alongside Talbot Road and Huron Church Road ???
On Google Maps there seems the route could also be build parallel to a power transportation line about a mile more to the west, thus destroying far less buildings.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4134
Ingenioren
Registered User
 
Ingenioren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 5,605
Likes (Received): 584



Norway - Sweden Border crossing at 13:09...
__________________
I want to see some construction!
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #4135
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,480
Likes (Received): 2097

Ingenioren, you posted your driving video in three different subsections... I thought crossposting was not allowed in forums...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4136
Ingenioren
Registered User
 
Ingenioren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 5,605
Likes (Received): 584

Sorry, didn't know that!
__________________
I want to see some construction!
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #4137
JeremyCastle
Registered User
 
JeremyCastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 2

A few years ago, a friend and I drove to Norway from the UK. Taking the ferry from Dover to Calais, the border posts were not open, the border posts were closed. Well, we did show our passports I think with our booking reference number to someone in a booth, but I don't think they were border people. So, my passport was not stamped with a Schengen stamp (I'm American).

Later, I left the Schengen zone by plane in Lisbon(staying in the Schengen zone during that time) and the border guard at the passport control booth kept flipping through my passport. I had no idea what she was doing, finally, with a confused look on her face, asked me how I entered the Schengen Zone. I said "I drove via a ferry between the UK and France but the border posts were closed." She gave me a strange look. I thought something bad was going to happen, but finally, after staring at me for a few seconds, she just placed the Schengen exit stamp in my passport and I was on my way.

Also, another time, flying into Bergen, Norway from London Gatwick, my passport was opened by the Norwegian border people, but they didn't stamp it either, just when I left Norway.

Anyone have any similar experiences to this? Are there any legal consequences that are supposed to be in effect for people who don't receive a stamp, or for the border guards who don't give one?

Last edited by JeremyCastle; February 19th, 2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Just updating saying that I'm a non-EU/EEA passport holder.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4138
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,465
Likes (Received): 3437


you are Amercian. you are protected as Javan rhino, so you will hardly get into some trouble because of that
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #4139
Moravian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 747
Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
A few years ago, a friend and I drove to Norway from the UK. Taking the ferry from Dover to Calais, the border posts were not open, the border posts were closed. Well, we did show our passports I think with our booking reference number to someone in a booth, but I don't think they were border people. So, my passport was not stamped with a Schengen stamp (I'm American).

Later, I left the Schengen zone by plane in Lisbon(staying in the Schengen zone during that time) and the border guard at the passport control booth kept flipping through my passport. I had no idea what she was doing, finally, with a confused look on her face, asked me how I entered the Schengen Zone. I said "I drove via a ferry between the UK and France but the border posts were closed." She gave me a strange look. I thought something bad was going to happen, but finally, after staring at me for a few seconds, she just placed the Schengen exit stamp in my passport and I was on my way.

Also, another time, flying into Bergen, Norway from London Gatwick, my passport was opened by the Norwegian border people, but they didn't stamp it either, just when I left Norway.

Anyone have any similar experiences to this? Are there any legal consequences that are supposed to be in effect for people who don't receive a stamp, or for the border guards who don't give one?
It depends. Sometimes it is better to ask for the Schengen entry stamp (always squared stamp) at the simple evidence or the confirmation of the entry border point. You could be checked not only when you leave the Schengen zone however almost everytime and everywhere in Schengen backlands. You could avoid some inconveniences during those police checkings However I would not expect big troubles for US-passport holder.

The fact is that the Schengen borders at the Channel is something a bit special. No doubts, UK border authorities takes care about the control but - first of all - at the enter point in Calais (when you try to enter the British Isles). On condition you are leaving UK that is not their "key focus". And French police? It is varied. Sometimes they check the ferry or Eurotunnel passingers very carefully (focused for international-coach-lines - for example) - security control included, sometimes, it is the matter of few seconds or the control booths are closed or empty and there are only security officers....
The fact is that the U.K/Schengen (the fact that U.K is participated at Schengen as well (police collaboration) - it is another matter...) could be campared with the Swiss/Schengen borders before 2009. It was not the "100%" Schengen frontier - not all border booths were "under operation" all the time......

I have no experience with the current eastern border of Schengen but the previous border (before 12/2007) - the attutide of the customs/police staff at the border was varied as well. It depends if you pass through the larger border crossing or the smaller one (there were usually more time to screen the travellers certainly carefully)...and what time etc...The fact is that Austrians took usually care about the entry stamps (no so for exit stamp), Germans checked people quite carefully as well but did not take care about stamps so much. The handling at Italian/Slovenian borders - was less or more "moody"...
It depended - in case you were non-Schengen-zone-citizen - on your reply - where you were travelling to, for how many days, the reason of your trip etc., no wonder if you attracted more attention......

Well, somewhere the fortress is protected by walls and the iron curtain and the round the corner - there is a hole in fence...
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #4140
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Kuzma/Bonisdorf used to be the only international border crossing between Slovenia and the Austrian state Burgenland:


http://www.panoramio.com/photo/26511417 by GBview
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium