daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #4141
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

zollamt is hungarian?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:17 AM   #4142
Interstate275Fla

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
zollamt is hungarian?
No, zoll is German for customs. Zollamt means customs office. Vámhivatal would be the translation for customs office in Hungarian.

It reminds me of a trip I made to Germany and Austria back in 1979, way back before Schengen. I was riding the bus from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Innsbruck and we went on a two lane road and went through a customs station similar to the Austrian customs station on the Slovenian border pictured earlier.

What was the volume of traffic coming into Austria from Slovenia at this customs station before Schengen took place? I imagine the traffic volume was not much compared to the world's busiest border customs station in the USA in San Ysidro, CA.

All photos posted by Interstate275Fla are that of the author unless stated otherwise.
Interstate275Fla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #4143
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
zollamt is hungarian?
Coming from someone called "hofburg"?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
What was the volume of traffic coming into Austria from Slovenia at this customs station before Schengen took place? I imagine the traffic volume was not much compared to the world's busiest border customs station in the USA in San Ysidro, CA.
It was higher than now. 1,048 AADT in 2007, and 824 AADT in 2009. But it's a minor border crossing.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4144
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate275Fla View Post
No, zoll is German for customs. Zollamt means customs office. Vámhivatal would be the translation for customs office in Hungarian.
actually, Hungarians have written Határátkelöhely on their border crossings but that should mean only "border crossing"
Old February 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #4145
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

In Austria the border was controlled by the Customs, so the border crossing is the customs office, and a customs officer would ask for your passports. The Austrian border is (was ) patrolled and guarded by the military AFAIK. In Hungary the border was guarded and controlled by the Border Guard, so you had to show your passport to a border guard officer. The Border Guard was integrated into the Police a few years ago, so now there are policemen on the borders. On the other hand, a customs office is part of the border crossing, and you are checked by a customs officer too when entering the country (of course only at non-EU borders).
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #4146
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Coming from someone called "hofburg"?!
oops. I speak only basic german. zollamt sounded to me like one hungarian word.
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4147
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
In Hungary the border was guarded and controlled by the Border Guard, so you had to show your passport to a border guard officer. The Border Guard was integrated into the Police a few years ago, so now there are policemen on the borders. On the other hand, a customs office is part of the border crossing, and you are checked by a customs officer too when entering the country (of course only at non-EU borders).
That reminds me, a few years ago I went from Budapest to Vienna via Slovakia (crossing at Sahy). In the last town before the border I was pulled over. The two officers identified themselves as border police and checked my passport. They looked at it for 2 secs and let me go. At the actual crossing they barely glanced at my passport and waved me through.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4148
hofburg
middle lane hogger

border crossing in the night: raccordo autostradale Villesse-Gorizia/ H4 Nova Gorica-Razdrto.

720p

Last edited by hofburg; February 21st, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #4149
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Delete

Last edited by JeremyCastle; February 22nd, 2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Web browser problems... :-(
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:44 PM   #4150
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
It depended - in case you were non-Schengen-zone-citizen - on your reply - where you were travelling to, for how many days, the reason of your trip etc., no wonder if you attracted more attention......

Well, somewhere the fortress is protected by walls and the iron curtain and the round the corner - there is a hole in fence...
It was around 2 in the morning driving onto the Ferry at Dover to Calais. They had some difficulties earlier, so they were behind schedule loading the ferries(we actually got a ferry 2 hours after we were supposed too), and then I flew from Oslo to Lisbon and then transferred to a "out of Schengen" flight. :-) I guess not too many people drive into the Schengen area and then fly out, especially in their own car.(not the flying out bit). :-)
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #4151
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4469

24-hour border checkpoints proposed

Bangkokpost 19/02/2011

Businesses are proposing that the government open around-the-clock border checkpoints at Sadao in Songkhla, Nong Khai and Ban Khlong Luek in Sa Kaeo to ease traffic congestion.

Niyom Wairatpanij, chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce’s committee on border trade development, urged acceleration of 24-hour operations at the three checkpoints, especially in the South at Sadao, which suffers the most from congestion.

He also urged the government to accelerate construction of the US$300-million Hat Yai-Sadao motorway to ease persistent traffic problems between those two points.

Operating around the clock would enhance Thailand’s chances of becoming a regional tourism and logistics hub, said Mr Niyom.

He pointed out that Sadao was a significant checkpoint for both trade and tourism, so the government should add more lanes to the three at present and enlarge the Sadao-Hat Yai road, he said.

A survey of 100 companies in the Greater Mekong Subregion last year indicated non-stop checkpoint operations would increase the logistics efficiency of regional goods supply.

Mr Niyom said facilities should be improved before introducing 24-hour operation, with separate lanes for immigration tourism procedures and customs formalities for goods.

Tharadol Piempongsan, a deputy secretary-general to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, sees an opportunity to run the first 24-hour checkpoint at Sadao, bordering Malaysia.

Other checkpoints are in the pipeline for Mukdahan, Mae Sot, Chiang Khong, Nakhon Phanom and Nong Khai.

However, bilateral agreements must be in place before these can be implemented, said Mr Niyom.

The Customs Department reported the main obstacles at various checkpoints are drugs and a shortage of officials.

These are most acute at Mae Sai and Chiang Kong in Chiang Rai, Mae Sot in Tak, Ban Khlong Luek in Sa Kaeo’s Aranyaprathet district, Mukdahan and Nong Khai – all right on the border – as well as in Sakon Nakhon province.

The Foreign Trade Department reported border trade value of 778 billion baht last year, up by 21.7% from 2009. Thai exports totalled 486 billion baht and imports 292 billion, giving Thailand a trade surplus of 194 billion.

The ministry projects growth of 10.5% this year to 860 billion baht – 547 billion with Malaysia (up 10%), 148.6 billion with Burma (up 7.8%), 104.6 billion with Laos (up 20%) and 59.8 billion baht with Cambodia (up 8%).

Tariff reductions for 8,300 items under the Asean Free Trade Area and economic growth of 5-7% in neighbouring countries are factors in the burgeoning trade

napoleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #4152
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A few pics I made of the northernmost German-Polish motorway border crossing (A6/A11). I've made these pics last monday, from a train to Szczecin.

image hosted on flickr

German-Polish border near Kołbaskowo by Timon91, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4153
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Indeed, there are such signs when you enter into Cumbria:

nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #4154
JohnnyFive

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
the United Kingdom is the country here, not Scotland or England.
The UK is a political union and the unitary state made up of four constiuent countries.

Scotland having being united as a country in AD843 joined a political union with England in AD1707 but did not cease to be a country.

I think many people confuse the term country (from Wikipedia):

"A country is a geographical region considered to be the physical territory of a sovereign state, or of a smaller, or former, political division within a geographical region. Usually, but not always, a country coincides with a sovereign territory and is associated with a state, nation or government"

Anyway, here is the Scottish border.

[IMG]http://i52.************/mi2o13.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by JohnnyFive; February 25th, 2011 at 04:17 AM.
JohnnyFive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #4155
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Interesting photo - reminded me of something. I can't remember the specific date but didn't Scotland recently campaign for full independence from the U.K? What is the current situation?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #4156
JohnnyFive

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Interesting photo - reminded me of something. I can't remember the specific date but didn't Scotland recently campaign for full independence from the U.K? What is the current situation?
The Scottish Government is the SNP which were elected in 2007 and the SNP advocate full sovereign independance for Scotland.

The next elections are in May this year and should the SNP form the next government (they are currently ahead in polls) they will bring an independance referendum bill forward in 2011 for the people of Scotland to decide.

JohnnyFive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #4157
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
Scotland having being united as a country in AD843 joined a political union with England in AD1707 but did not cease to be a country.

[IMG]http://i52.************/mi2o13.jpg[/IMG]
What is it that made Scotland retain the title of country?? What criteria are you using? I never see any solid evidence.

And if it still is one, it certainly isn't an international border, as the UK has the international border. If Scotland is indeed still a country, then shouldn't we have to consider Bavaria or the Basque region or even Texas as countries too?
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #4158
zsimi80
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 553

zsimi80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #4159
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post
I find very interesting blue EU sign on Austrian side. Have they forgotten to remove or replace it by something more up to date?

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 26th, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #4160
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsimi80 View Post

The 3.5 t sign - are they common at border crossings in Europe?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways