daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:47 PM   #4221
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Reminds me of some borders between Luxembourg and Belgium.The only thing how you recognise that you are in a another country is that the colour of the asphalt changed
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:05 PM   #4222
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
These are also borders of timezones (Spain is one houer ahead of Portugal which uses "British time". Unless the USA, in Europe there are no signs telling you entering an other timezone. More specific: I have never seen them.
In some parts of the USA there are signs alerting you when you are changing time zones but recently I noticed signs of time zone change on I-70 at the Illinois-Indiana border have disappeared.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4223
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
These are also borders of timezones (Spain is one houer ahead of Portugal which uses "British time". Unless the USA, in Europe there are no signs telling you entering an other timezone. More specific: I have never seen them.
I know there are time zone signs here in the province I'm in. The signs just don't tell you which zone you are leaving/entering. They simply tell you to move your watch ahead/back one hour. Newfoundland is the exception. Going TO the island, you move your watch ahead 1/2 an hour.

Immediately west of the BC/AB border, looking east:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...,123.06,,0,5.4

Haines Highway from BC to AK:

Canadian Customs:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...137.11,,0,1.75

US Customs:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...199.42,,2,1.48

http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...121.37,,0,1.92

http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=fi...119.21,,0,3.86
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:22 PM   #4224
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Reminds me of some borders between Luxembourg and Belgium.The only thing how you recognise that you are in a another country is that the colour of the asphalt changed
Like this? (Netherlands -> Belgium)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4225
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
European time zones always follow borders though. Though you won't get told to put your watch back an hour, when entering Portugal from Spain, there will be a sign telling you that you are entering Portugal, which should really be enough.

In North America, whilst they most commonly follow borders too, there are some instances where they stray and cut into states. I've never thought that was a particularly good idea, personally.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4226
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Smaller border crossings don't always, and often don't have signs, look at the last photo that I showed. On the other hand, people who use these roads are likely to know where the border.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM   #4227
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
In North America, whilst they most commonly follow borders too, there are some instances where they stray and cut into states. I've never thought that was a particularly good idea, personally.
This is often in states near metropolitan areas. So commuters from suburbs in Indiana do not have to change time every day when they drive from Gary or Whiting to Chicago.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #4228
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Changing of asphalt on a non international border but between Flanders-->Wallonia
Smooth pavement-->pavement that survived a war

(around 2.13)

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by joshsam; March 24th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #4229
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Tht must have been a good quality pavement!
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4230
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

No doubt it was good quality...15years ago.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4231
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is often in states near metropolitan areas. So commuters from suburbs in Indiana do not have to change time every day when they drive from Gary or Whiting to Chicago.

The only problem with time zone borders here is the cell phones flip between time zones when they shouldn't. Of course most people know this is happening because the phone is reaching a tower in the other time zone but it's weird in itself. I have watched my cell (while being a passenger in the car) switch to central time though I was in eastern time zone within 5 miles from the central time border with no intentions of entering Central time zone.

Time zones also divide neighborhoods like the one on US 81W the county line of Larue and Hart counties in Kentucky. Houses to the north are in Eastern Time and houses to the south in Central time. So your neighbor is an hour ahead or behind of you. weird

Last edited by ScraperDude; March 25th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #4232
bogdymol
bogdymod

You can change your telephone settings so that it will not automaticaly change the time zone.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4233
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1724

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...3.03,,0,-14.22

Those in the buildings on the south side of the road observe daylight savings. Those on the north side do not.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4234
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
The only problem with time zone borders here is the cell phones flip between time zones when they shouldn't. Of course most people know this is happening because the phone is reaching a tower in the other time zone but it's weird in itself. I have watched my cell (while being a passenger in the car) switch to central time though I was in eastern time zone within 5 miles from the central time border with no intentions of entering Central time zone.

Time zones also divide neighborhoods like the one on US 81W the county line of Larue and Hart counties in Kentucky. Houses to the north are in Eastern Time and houses to the south in Central time. So your neighbor is an hour ahead or behind of you. weird
Did you mean US 11W? There's no US 81W, and US 81 is far away from KY.

In 2009 I entered Portugal for only some hours, but I switched the time of my cell phone one hour back while my parents didn't the same with theirs!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4235
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Did you mean US 11W? There's no US 81W, and US 81 is far away from KY.

In 2009 I entered Portugal for only some hours, but I switched the time of my cell phone one hour back while my parents didn't the same with theirs!
I was so tired when I posted last night. It's US 31W.
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4236
ScraperDude
lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You can change your telephone settings so that it will not automaticaly change the time zone.
You're right! I have a blackberry that I keep on auto time zone as much as I travel. The older phones IE (not smart phones) do not have that option, at least the one I had here in the US.
Before the Blackberry I had some crappy flip phone and the time would just jump back and forth depending on which tower I was picking up.
Which also leads to another issue with cells is being near the Canadian border and picking up Canadian cell towers and being charged international romaing.
I don't know how often it happens to people. This has only happened to me once in the Niagara region. I stayed on the NY side and never entered Canada but was charged data and for 2 calls at international rates. T-mobile was quick to correct this error but now unless I go into Canada I turn my phone off in border regions as it sometimes registers Rogers network on the US side. T-mobile said they are aware of Canadaian towers covering the US and vice versa and it's a know issue in border regions.

How does that work in Europe? Mobile phones in border regions.
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4237
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
They pickup the most powerful signal, so sometimes the one after a border. But there should be an option in telephones to force them to use a particular operator, even if its signal is less clear than the one of the foreign company.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #4238
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Phones can change settings to only manual change operator, so it's not an issue.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4239
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

For someone living in a border region crossing the border several times a day this is quite annoying. You don't want to set your phone to a manually selected provider, because you're not always within reach of your preferred provider. But on the other hand you don't want your phone to switch to a foreign provider unless it's really necessary.
The best solution would be a real European subscription, i.e. one that doesn't charge extra when calling/being called abroad. There are several companies that operate in most European countries, so it should be possible.

One additional problem in border regions is that an international hand over is not possible (at least my provider doesn't support it). If you're talking to someone on the phone and cross the border, you cannot be transferred to a provider in the other country. Instead you will be 'stuck' with your original provider until you're out of reach and the conversation will end...
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #4240
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...3.03,,0,-14.22

Those in the buildings on the south side of the road observe daylight savings. Those on the north side do not.
I've driven around that roundabout. And yes, I had to switch the clock. And I drove the same campervan, lol.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways