daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yeah I hate the fact that using your phone abroad is such a big scam. I mean, technically it won't cost a pfennig more to call or use the internet via a network of another country. If it works in the U.S., why can't it work in Europe?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #4242
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah I hate the fact that using your phone abroad is such a big scam. I mean, technically it won't cost a pfennig more to call or use the internet via a network of another country. If it works in the U.S., why can't it work in Europe?
In fact it does cost more. It's not the matter of countries, it's the matter of different networks and traffic interchange between them. It's especially expensive for the internet, because it takes much more data that a simple voice conversation and all this data must be forwarded through your home network's central servers. I don't know much details ( I had this issue explained only briefly at one of the courses at my Uni), but I know the principle.

What we really need is a pan-european network, with integrated databases and such. In fact, for example Danish and Swedish '3' UMTS networks are physically just one network and it wouldn't cost a single öre to enable free roaming between them. But they didn't

But of course the traffic interchange doesn't cost THAT much and current internet roaming charges are ridiculous, here I totally agree with you.

Last edited by Fuzzy Llama; March 25th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #4243
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
You're right! I have a blackberry that I keep on auto time zone as much as I travel. The older phones IE (not smart phones) do not have that option, at least the one I had here in the US.
Before the Blackberry I had some crappy flip phone and the time would just jump back and forth depending on which tower I was picking up.
Which also leads to another issue with cells is being near the Canadian border and picking up Canadian cell towers and being charged international romaing.
I don't know how often it happens to people. This has only happened to me once in the Niagara region. I stayed on the NY side and never entered Canada but was charged data and for 2 calls at international rates. T-mobile was quick to correct this error but now unless I go into Canada I turn my phone off in border regions as it sometimes registers Rogers network on the US side. T-mobile said they are aware of Canadaian towers covering the US and vice versa and it's a know issue in border regions.

How does that work in Europe? Mobile phones in border regions.
On my telephone I have 3 options regarding timezones:
  1. Always switch the timezone when crossing the border
  2. Prompt me that there is a new timezone and ask if I want to change it: YES/NO buttons
  3. Never switch the timezone

And 2 options regarding roaming:
  1. Manual: I select my own operator and it will not change at the border, but after few km I loose the signal
  2. Automatic: in my country I keep only my own operator and at the border the telephone chooses the best signal (my operator or all other foreign operators; other operators in my country do not count)

I had before a Nokia 6300 and now I have a Nokia C5 and they both have this options. My mom has a creepy 1 € Nokia and there are the same options.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4244
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I might say that I understand that I have to pay more if I go abroad and I a network that belongs to another company, but our operators don't make any discounts if someone is going abroad and uses the same operator there (for example I am a Orange Romania client, but if I go to Austria and use Orange Austria or T-Mobile Austria it will cost me the same). European mobile network operators should offer some kind of discounts if you are using the same network but in another country.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #4245
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Did you mean US 11W? There's no US 81W, and US 81 is far away from KY.

In 2009 I entered Portugal for only some hours, but I switched the time of my cell phone one hour back while my parents didn't the same with theirs!
I never bother when I go into Spain
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #4246
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Here a few signs i was writing about earlier.

Near Italian/Slovenian border in 4! Languages

Here is one were they just put the SLO sticker over the YU one

This sign is between the Passo Tanamea an the border and it stand Jugoslavia on it

This one is from the Korensko Sedlo/Wurzenpass

Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #4247
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

6 languages, but no Slovenian. Serbo-Croatian wasn't official in all Yugoslavia, just administrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
Where's this sign? A4 is nowhere near Tarvisio and certainly not in direction Slovenia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #4248
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
6 languages, but no Slovenian. Serbo-Croatian wasn't official in all Yugoslavia, just administrative.

Yes but the sign is on the austrian side and i dont know what they knowed about languages in yugoslavia

Where's this sign? A4 is nowhere near Tarvisio and certainly not in direction Slovenia.
i am not 100% sure but i think it is when you come from the sella nevea,the road right is the 54 direction trbiz and the left one goes to the border on the predel
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #4249
Verso
Islander

I thought so, now I also see it in Google Street View (it's SP76). The A4 is totally out of place here, as if there's a motorway to a mountain pass. It's SS54 in both directions.
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #4250
Zagor666
Motomaniac

i think its just a simply mistake cause the italian a4 is realy far away and if you realy want to reach it better drive left on this crossing and not right
i would like to know what the 4th language on the sign is where they write "Austrie" and "Slovenie"?
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4251
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Frulian
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #4252
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Thanks,i like local languages like rumantsch or ladinic
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4253
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
I remember this sign from the YU-times (there was also a multilingual sign which told you to put your car in 1st gear), all signs have never been in Slovene.
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #4254
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
I remember this sign from the YU-times (there was also a multilingual sign which told you to put your car in 1st gear), all signs have never been in Slovene.
Why should you?
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4255
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Where's this sign?
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol
Why should you?
I think because of the steep slopes on the Austrian side.
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #4256
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why should you?
To make space for motorcycle drivers
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4257
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
In fact it does cost more. It's not the matter of countries, it's the matter of different networks and traffic interchange between them. It's especially expensive for the internet, because it takes much more data that a simple voice conversation and all this data must be forwarded through your home network's central servers. I don't know much details ( I had this issue explained only briefly at one of the courses at my Uni), but I know the principle.

What we really need is a pan-european network, with integrated databases and such. In fact, for example Danish and Swedish '3' UMTS networks are physically just one network and it wouldn't cost a single öre to enable free roaming between them. But they didn't

But of course the traffic interchange doesn't cost THAT much and current internet roaming charges are ridiculous, here I totally agree with you.
I'm coming in on the middle of this and am feeling too lazy to read back but, the last time I went to Canada, my hotel's internet was down the entire visit, so I logged on using my usual wireless card. I expected to be charged something, but what I in fact was charged was ridiculous (well over $100 a day.) I explained to them that I hadn't checked out the rate in advance because I'd expected service in the hotel, and I'd be happy to pay them a reasonable amount like $20 a day, but they wouldn't budge, I told them to go to hell and changed carriers.... It's a total scam. Why should it cost that much to provide service in Montreal, 500 miles from home, when roaming charges within the U.S. - even across the country - had been unheard of for years?

Next time I leave the country, obviously, I'll add Canada (or wherever) to my plan before I go....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM   #4258
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
In some parts of the USA there are signs alerting you when you are changing time zones but recently I noticed signs of time zone change on I-70 at the Illinois-Indiana border have disappeared.
Which is weird, when you think of it, since there's now a time change there all year as opposed to only during standard time (since most of the parts of Indiana on Eastern time didn't observe daylight savings time, they were in fact in synch with Illinois for half the year or so.)

As to Europe, I can't think of any place where the time changes within a country; there are plenty of places in the U.S. where you're changing time zones within the same state, so having that point marked is handy.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:04 PM   #4259
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I might say that I understand that I have to pay more if I go abroad and I a network that belongs to another company, but our operators don't make any discounts if someone is going abroad and uses the same operator there (for example I am a Orange Romania client, but if I go to Austria and use Orange Austria or T-Mobile Austria it will cost me the same). European mobile network operators should offer some kind of discounts if you are using the same network but in another country.
I keep seeing headlines on European sites (going back years) about the EU addressing the international-roaming-charges issue. Nothing's happened yet?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4260
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
As to Europe, I can't think of any place where the time changes within a country
Only Russia, and Portugal, if you count the Azores.

Tags
highways, motorways