daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #4281
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

It may be a little bit off topic, I don't know.
As you may know Hungary is a member of the so called Schengen treaty which means we have no border stations to Slovenia, Austria and Slovakia.
However, this year (2011) I left Hungary twice towards Austria and once towads Slovenia, and I was stopped and checked by the Hungarian police (although my car has a Hungarian license plate) near to the border.
In the middle of the night police checkpoint is at the roadside with no infrastructure at all (meaning there are no lights), policemen use a flash light, check everyone, Ukrainan travellers even have to take out the bags, etc., and even I had to open my car's trunk.
In one case German foreign officers, too, checked me in the Bavarian forests at the motorway.

OK, I think literally it is not against the Schengen treaty. However I am sure ot would be mouch more civilised to check people and cars in a border crossing station, having tables to put bags on (instead of the muddy ground), having lights in order to find travellers' IDs easier than in the darkness, etc.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #4282
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It is not allowed to conduct structural checks, that's against the principle of free movement of people, goods and capital. However, occasional checks are allowed. I have been stopped for an extensive check myself once in Southern Germany.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #4283
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

It's my opinion that border checks should still have been allowed, even on a systematic basis - it would stop much of the nonsense with random controls close to the border in areas with little to no infrastructure for actually checking.

Schengen should have been about the possibility of removing border controls, not about the total abolition at borders - that way, resources could be deployed according to where the problems were. In fact, I'd have supported the original plan for Schengen - for travellers to fix a "green disc" to the windscreen of the car in order to pass freely without stopping.

The situation now, where travellers can be pulled over in very inconvenient places is simply not satisfactory. For that reason, demolishing the border infrastructure was really a stupid act in many cases - look at Frankfurt (Oder). The German "zoll" are forever pulling cars in at the border, but they have no infrastructure to work from except a small bit in the middle of the road. Wouldn't it have made much more sense to maintain the facilities?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #4284
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is not allowed to conduct structural checks, that's against the principle of free movement of people, goods and capital. However, occasional checks are allowed. I have been stopped for an extensive check myself once in Southern Germany.
3 of 3 this year can be defined as 'occasional' ?
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4285
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Since the Schengen enlargement I've crossed the border many times. I was checked only once, last spring on the SK-PL border (Trstená-Chyzne). I was travelling by Orangeways coach.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4286
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

Last May I was driving from Belgrade to Paris. After entering Schengen in Hungary, I was stopped for extensive check at Toll point near Metz by French customs. Never had any checks inside Schengen ever, even though I'm driving non-schengen car.
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #4287
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

Getting to Mexican boundary through Tijuana-San Ysidro border checkpoint.
In the future this is gonna become part of the san ysidro entrance. And the
new Mexican customs will be like 500 meters away

[IMG]http://i56.************/zko6pv.jpg[/IMG]
By ms4jah flickr

Last edited by Protteus; April 5th, 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4288
bogdymol
bogdymod

I was stopped only once near a Schengen border. It was last year in September in far north-east part of Czech Republic, near the border with both Poland and Slovakia, on an almost empty road. They just checked the papers and let me go.

Also, I have seen random check-points at the Slovakian / Czech border both on D2 motorway and on road 11, but I haven't been stopped even though my car had Romanian licence plates.

More, few years ago I was stopped by the border patrol near the Romanian / Hungarian border (not a Schengen border, yet!), few km away from the actual border crossing. This happened to me twice in Hungary and one time in Romania.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #4289
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

We shouldn't forget that in some countries it is quite normal to be stopped by police for random controls that have nothing to do with checking foreign citizens.
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4290
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
We shouldn't forget that in some countries it is quite normal to be stopped by police for random controls that have nothing to do with checking foreign citizens.
Right. But if it is done 2kms from the border and every single car is stopped it is a bit different thing :-)
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #4291
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some pictures from a non-Schengen border, between Romania and Ukraine. All the pictures are taken from road DN19 in Romania:

City entrance sign in Sighetu Marmatiei:

Bellow the city name is written "Localitate de frontieră" (Town located near the border).

Double railway track in Sighetu Marmatiei (standard gauge - 1435mm + Russian gauge 1520mm)

Town in Ukraine, seen from Romania (most likely it's Hrushovo - Грушово):

Tri-lingual town exit sign (Romanian, Hungarian and Ukrainian):

Border marking:

On the other shore of Tisa river is Ukraine.

Sign that says "Atenție! Fâșia de protecție a frontierei de stat" (Caution! Protection strip of country border):

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #4292
bogdymol
bogdymod

Some pictures from the Romanian / Serbian border near Drobeta Turnu Severin (RO):

Porțile de fier (Iron gates) dam (right - RO; left - SRB):

The actual border line is Danube:

Those hills in the background are in Serbia:

Left - Serbia; Right - Romania:

A statue of Decebal:

Romanian Church right on the river bank:

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #4293
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Great pics. Thank you, bogdymol! The church of Mraconia has a fantastic view. I see you were riding on a cruise ship. Can you please tell me how much did it cost you and where you board the ship? In Turnu Severin, maybe? And how far, just till Cazane?
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #4294
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
^ Great pics. Thank you, bogdymol! The church of Mraconia has a fantastic view. I see you were riding on a cruise ship. Can you please tell me how much did it cost you and where you board the ship? In Turnu Severin, maybe? And how far, just till Cazane?
The boarding was at Turnu Severin and the trip was till Cazane.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #4295
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

The Danube river is on this place only about 200 meters wide,but 80 meters deep
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4296
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

i think 90m deep
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM   #4297
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

PL/D Kołbaskowo/Pomellen

Still waiting for speed limits to be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
Ograniczenia po polskiej stronie. Pewnie trzeba napisać gdzieś maila, żeby pomóc im zniknąć.

Granica i od razu niemiecki symbol autostrady.

Tutaj zaczynało się rozdzielenie pasów ruchu.

Po przeciwnej stronie trwa jeszcze sprzątanie.

A tutaj były budki.

To ograniczenie jest przekreślone, ale i tak obowiązuje tu 120 umieszczone zaraz przy granicy. Być może (wymaga to potwierdzenia w toku dalszej eksploatacji) na odcinku 20 km od przejścia do węzła Schmolln, ograniczenie zostanie w ogóle zniesione; na razie w oznakowaniu jest bałagan.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4298
Schwarzpunkt

Likes (Received): 0

Fertörakos (H) – Mörbisch (A) - Border crossing on bike path.

This photo was taken in May 2004. Hungary was already in EU but not yet in Schengen area. So there were border controls.
Schwarzpunkt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #4299
bogdymol
bogdymod

So there was a border check-point with border officers only for bicycles? Cool.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4300
Schwarzpunkt

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
So there was a border check-point with border officers only for bicycles? Cool.
Yes. It is not the only one.
Dunajec (PL - SK)

Source: http://www.summitpost.org/dunajec/436647

Last edited by Schwarzpunkt; April 24th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Schwarzpunkt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways