daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2011, 12:36 AM   #4561
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I remember being in Baarle Nassau/Hertog in the 90's and went inside the wrong shop in the wrong country to buy cigarettes. I found out after I paid and looked at the packet with the warning sign in three different languages. Holland was still a bit cheaper then it was in Belgium...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM   #4562
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

TUI(E)-VALENÇA DO MINHO(P)

On the Spanish side of the beautiful old Tui International Bridge

The nearest police car is Portuguese, although its on the Spanish side of the river

image hosted on flickr

ELVAS (P)-OLIVENÇA (DISPUTED, de facto E)

This is the view from Olivença across the river towards Elvas. As the Portuguese Government not very seriously anymore claims the Spanish municipalities of Olivença and Táliga, they sometimes to certain actions in relation to Olivença, for example, the started building this bridge without Spanish permission and there was a bit of a dispute between the Spanish police and the Portuguese construction workers.

Looking towards Olivença, you can see a "Spain" sign, I highly doubt that there is a "Portugal" sign on the other sign.

The old bridge, Ponte da Ajuda, was destroyed through warfare in 1709 and was never rebuilt. Due to this to get from Olivença to Elvas (both still Portuguese at the time) you had to go through Spain, which annexed Olivença during the Napoleonic Wars in 1801.

The Olivença side of the bridge has been recently rebuilt, to an extent, and in fact is in a much better condition on the Olivença bank.

image hosted on flickr

They have added a lot more of Spain to google street view, so expect more borders

DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4563
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

The narrowest border that can be crossed by car all over the world is the border between Gibraltar and Spain.

It is 1,05 km wide only (beach to beach).

There is a discrepancy about border limits. They were described on Utrech treaty but with a neutral zone that has been used by Gibraltar. This is why in Spain they never talk about the border but about "the gate" (La Verja).

Stadium, airport and some buildings are in the neutral zone.

After one new treaty some years ago, Gibraltar airport is used from Spain with no crossing border as well as it is in the neutral zone.

There is one flight daily Madrid-Gibraltar and, should you want to enter Gibraltar, you may cross customs, but should you want to go to La Linea, there is a free way with no police control (it becomes on an domestic flight there...)

Gibraltar is part of United Kingdom but not part of UE and it has more entreprises creates inside than habitans.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4564
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post

Gibraltar is part of United Kingdom but not part of UE and it has more entreprises creates inside than habitans.
I assume you mean the EU?

If so, then you are wrong, Gibraltar is indeed part of the EU, it entered as part of the UK when the UK joined.

Also, it is NOT part of the UK; it is a British territory but it is self governing, much like the Isle of Man or Jersey and Guernsey (all three of which are, incidentally, NOT part of the EU)
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:11 PM   #4565
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Gibraltar is part of United Kingdom but not part of UE
Did you want to say: not part of the EU's Internal Market (Common Market) concerning free movement of goods? Similar to the Canary Islands ...
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4566
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
I assume you mean the EU?

If so, then you are wrong, Gibraltar is indeed part of the EU, it entered as part of the UK when the UK joined.

Also, it is NOT part of the UK; it is a British territory but it is self governing, much like the Isle of Man or Jersey and Guernsey (all three of which are, incidentally, NOT part of the EU)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Did you want to say: not part of the EU's Internal Market (Common Market) concerning free movement of goods? Similar to the Canary Islands ...

Sorry for mistake and... both have reason.

I wanted to mean EU (but dit not translated correctly and wrote in Spanish: UE)

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:03 AM   #4567
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Let me write something about borders on Pyrenees and curiosities.

From Mediterranean to Atlantic:

Number 1: Els Limits - Le Perthus

The first curiosity in fact, is the road that makes the border.
At Spain there are six major national roads N-I to N-VI (written with Romans numbers) and A-1 to A-6 when remake to highway.
You will notice that the rest of national roads have three digits and the first digit depends about the area (1 to 6 only) where the zero kilometer point is set.

In this case we are talking about N-II Madrid-Zaragoza-Barcelona-La Junquera (Border with France at Mediterranean)

It is not Baarle (yes, I agreed, it is very difficult to find something to "win" Baarle) but near.

This photo is the old Spanish customs. No use nowadays and... there are houses and buildings away that custom (should the custom be used today, some citizen will have to cross it every day to go to their home even inside the country)

Get notice about latitude to see that photos are taken very closed one to another...

After customs... left side is Spain and right side is France. This photo is taken from France... but way through south is France and way through north is Spain.

There are parking-meters in all the road-street... buuuuuuuuuut.... different in Spain and France. Both have to be payed in Euro but Spanish tickets are not allowed in France and upside down.
A detail: Logo for parking-meters are different at France (the nearest) and Spain. Fares are similar and free on week-ends and bank holidays.
When bank holiday in Spain and not in France or upside down... guess where people try to park the car...

More strange...

This is the "semi-final" of Spain.

The sidewalk in the right is Spain. Road (two lanes and two park lanes) is France and sidewalk in the left is France.

Buildings in the right are Spanish. There is an official Tobacco shop (needs official permission to open one).
Buildings in the left are French. There is a French post office.
Also is possible to find banks... obviously, French and Spanish in each sidewalk.

SHOULD YOU GO IN THE DIRECTION OF THE PHOTO IN YOUR CAR, PARK IN THE RIGHT SIDE, BE SEATED AS CO-DRIVED, OPEN THE CAR-DOOR AND GET IN THE SIDEWALK... YOU ARE CROSSING THE BORDER FROM FRANCE TO SPAIN!!!!!!

There are parking-meters but all of them in the left side... because park lanes are in France and... parking-meters must be on France. So then, if you park there, you must cross the road to find in the other sidewalk a parking-meter (remember... all lanes are France, one sidewalk is France and the another is Spain).

Just a little away, this road (remember... it is not a normal road... it is the N-II, one of the mainest at Spain) finish in Spain.
All the border has boudary stones.

In this case, in the sidewalk it appears the boundary stone number 576. Left France, Right Spain.

As you can see... google earth has just a two meters mistake on the border limit (yellow line).

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:45 AM   #4568
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

I have a doubt. Does Chile have access to the Atlantic at the strait of Magellan? Does it have territorial waters in the Atlantic there?

Last edited by pobre diablo; July 2nd, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4569
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Spain v. Portugal-style comparison:

http://maps.google.si/?ll=45.968244,...,68.84,,0,8.91

Slovenia - asphalt, Italy - gravel.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #4570
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

You getting that from that road that the Portuguese side had half a road marking that became a Spanish dirt track .

But seriously most of the time the roads are better in Spain obviously but there are exceptions
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #4571
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

since when there's a street view there?!
wow I checked it out. quality of image is outstanding, now we have plenty of border crossings documented.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM   #4572
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Italian officers occupied A2.at -> A23.it crossing.

http://maps.google.si/?ll=46.534403,...,,0,16.72&z=17
Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4573
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

No, Italians are on their soil, the border line goes in the middle of those border buildings.
It was 2 years ago, when Italy suspended Schengen treaty for the G8 summit.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4574
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

Awesome pics!!!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4575
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post

At Spain you can find that example not only in borders but in all territories.

Local lanes are competence of towns. They decide about maintenance and event, if asfalt or not. Usually they are used for farming vehicles (and they do not need specially good lanes).

It is very frequent to see that sometimes one town has repaired its lanes until its limits but the neighbour town doesn't.

When this is an international example, it is more suprising, but it is only a local lane used for a town.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:25 AM   #4576
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucitizen View Post
No, Italians are on their soil, the border line goes in the middle of those border buildings.
It was 2 years ago, when Italy suspended Schengen treaty for the G8 summit.
I meant they're checking at the border crossing.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM   #4577
eucitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I meant they're checking at the border crossing.
Aha ok I understand how you meant it. Anyway they could as they suspended for 2 weeks the Schengen treaty for the G8 summit at that time. Since then Italians didn't do any suspension of the treaty. Sometimes there are some custom or police checks on the first toll station, though.

Anyway if you look at Google street view, Fernetti border crossing, you can see Carabinieri who make random checks before exiting Italy. Probably it was made during the similar period as the other border crossing: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fernet...,39.51,,0,0.07

Last edited by eucitizen; July 3rd, 2011 at 01:37 AM.
eucitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:57 AM   #4578
hofburg
middle lane hogger

I am familiar with that. (also from my own experince which ended well ) they're also usually at the last toll station on A23 towards austria, they are at vilesse toll station direction Gorizia, and they are just before border crossing RA Vilesse-Gorizia/Slo. Except they are there all the time, not just exceptionally.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:01 AM   #4579
eucitizen

Which police force did stop you? Usually the worst are the guardia di finanza. I was never stopped as I pass through the telepass gate while they are usually in the middle of the toll station.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:07 AM   #4580
hofburg
middle lane hogger

hehe, good prevention traffic police, they made me show a triangle after checking my driving licence for 10 minutes. and I had 1300 km after me, and they stopped me 1 km to my home.

Tags
highways, motorways