daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #4581
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

But I have itlaian lciense plate, maybe cause of that they never bothered me.
In my history of travelling only austrians stopped twice, always at the Tarvisio border. They were nice and fast, one of them spoke to me in good italian.
Otherwise I am usually checked for the vignette.

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #4582
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
I have a doubt. Does Chile have access to the Atlantic at the strait of Magellan? Does it have territorial waters in the Atlantic there?
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM   #4583
AtD
Bigger is better

Likes (Received): 1741

^ Interesting question, so I looked and got an even more interesting answer!

From what I gather from Wikipedia, the dispute was resolved by treaty in 1984. The Atlantic end of the straight is Argentine territorial water. Chilean vessels have navigation rights to exit the straight, but I'm not sure if that's just for access to Argentine ports or to access international water.

AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4584
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

It makes sense that the Atlantic waters are Argentine since the land at the opening is Argentine.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM   #4585
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

More detailed from Argentine side:

[IMG]http://i56.************/1zmo32p.jpg[/IMG]

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4586
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Spain v. Portugal-style comparison:

http://maps.google.si/?ll=45.968244,...,68.84,,0,8.91

Slovenia - asphalt, Italy - gravel.
only 3m from there Italy has asphalt as well
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4587
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

One detail... "Magallanes", as it is written in this map is a surname... and surnames are not traduced (at least if alphabet is the same). So then it is strange to read "Magellan".

Magallanes was the first captain who "started" the first world tour.
I said "started" because he was death on the trip and did not finished.

In August 1519, five ships depart Sanlúcar de Barrameda (near Cadiz) to start the first world tour. Each one had its captain but Magallanes was the expedition general captain.

Magallanes was, so then, who discovered the strait with its name between Argentina and Chile. It was the southern point of all the tour and storms made the journey very dangerous.

It is important to remember that Ushuaia, at Argentina, is the southern city all around the world (except bases on Antartic, of course).

When Magallanes was death, Juan Sebastian Elcano take the government of the expedition and arrives again to Spain (to the same city they departed... Sanlúcar) on september 1512.
Only one ship arrived... but thanks to some goods the took on the trip it was enough for the finances of the trip, even that four ships were destroyed

and... of course, first world tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
More detailed from Argentine side:

[IMG]http://i56.************/1zmo32p.jpg[/IMG]

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #4588
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

But you are translating his name from Magalhães aren't you.

Anyway, they used to translate peoples names in the past, but they discontinued that practice at some point, with the old translations remaining, such as Christopher Colombus
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #4589
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

In Italian we continue to call him "Ferdinando Magellano". I didn't even know he was Portuguese, for a quite long time I believed he was Italian.

Also John Cabot remains as a translation... he indeed was Italian, name was Giovanni Caboto.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #4590
tbh444

Likes (Received): 0

Thought I'd add a few pics I took in 2006 at the Rwanda-Tanzania border (the only one) at Rusumo Falls. Not much traffic here, a few lorries queued on either side, just a single lane bridge (which is just as well because traffic switches from right to left). Later crossed the Rwanda-Uganda border at Katuna (but got no photos) which was similar in layout but much busier - bit of a hassle with all passengers having to exit the coach, queue for ages, walk across, queue for ages again and re-board about an hour later.

tbh444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4591
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Fantastic!.

Used to see "near" photos, it is great to have some examples of places where we have less information.

Old July 6th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #4592
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1191

Excellent contribution - African borders are way underrepresented in this thread.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #4593
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Someone who will take some pics of the border between Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana should receive a prize from everyone of us.

And I explain:

- There are too many cases of "trifinium" (point of border for three countries) but nothing of quatrifinium (for four countries at the same case). The most similar case is between four states at US

- When the border is a river, the exact point of the border is considered the deeper point in the river (usually, but not always, in the middle of the river).

- Some big rivers can change one year to another. The river that separates Botswana from Zambia is one of them.

- United Nations wanted to built a road and bridge in this part of Africa to connect different countries but... he had the opposition of Namibia who argued that depending on possition of river, the brigde could cross his country...

- ... and brigde was not built

- There is a ferry shuttle (nothing special but they give priority for tourist and "foooooreing peopole) to connect countries between them in this corner of the Planet.

Has anyone been there?.
Should anyone take some photos... prize assured!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #4594
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

I wanna see some pics of border lines between Equatorial Guinea and its neighbors.

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4595
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

Here is a bit of a dated story I found tonight while studying the Estcourt, Maine/ Estcourt, Quebec area where the US/Canada border cuts through numerous houses and leaves a few homes strictly in the US but only accessible via Canada. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...cid=sitesearch

As much as I go into Canada I find the border more of a unnecessary stop more than protecting the U.S.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #4596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Someone who will take some pics of the border between Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana should receive a prize from everyone of us.
Formally Namibia doesn't border Zimbabwe. There is about 100 m of shared Zambia / Botswana border, hence no four-corners like in the United States (New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #4597
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraperDude View Post
Here is a bit of a dated story I found tonight while studying the Estcourt, Maine/ Estcourt, Quebec area where the US/Canada border cuts through numerous houses and leaves a few homes strictly in the US but only accessible via Canada. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...cid=sitesearch

As much as I go into Canada I find the border more of a unnecessary stop more than protecting the U.S.
That's insane.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4598
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Formally Namibia doesn't border Zimbabwe. There is about 100 m of shared Zambia / Botswana border, hence no four-corners like in the United States (New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah).

Depending on the year...

Rivers on the jungle change every year and as I remarked, border is not on the middle of the river but on the deeper point of the river.
This can change and we have to consider the deeper point from Zimbabwe, Botswana and... from Namibia too.

There are some years where deeper point from Namibia can be far away than that narrow river border at Zambia-Botswana...

So then, it is impossible to declare official borders there. Some years there is a direct border, some years there is not... and nowadays, an international project by UN is blocked... and all traffic by local ferries (Do they make duty free shop on the short trip? :

Old July 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4599
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Andorra is a country located in the middle of the Pyrenees. It has 70.000 habitants (only about 12.000 with official nationality, rest are considered foreing) and there are, more or less, 30 km "corner to corner".

There are two main borders, one at S. Julia, to cross to Spain, and the other one, at Pas de la casa, to cross to France.

It is not an European Union member (but uses Euro and very closed we could see Andorra euro coins) and not part of Schengen treaty.

Anyway there are not special problems with transit of people from France or from Spain. There are passport customs on both sides but it is very strange you are stopped to request you documentation.

But... entering France or Spain by any border you will always be stopped to check your baggage (yes, no passport control but always, always baggage control).

This is because taxes at Andorra are really lowest than at Spain and France (as I commented in the thread of Spanish motorways).

Controls are focused on tobacco, alcohol, etc... which are much cheaper at Andorra and it is known there is smuggling. This is easy to control... all merchandises must cross France or Spain before entering Andorra. They are duty when they are on transit but Spanish and French governments know how many alcohol or tobacco enter on country (there is not aiport, sea harbour... and all merchandises enter by truck). Sometimes they make calculs... and... how many cigarettes have entered Andorra, and considering 200 units free duty for every visitor... Are they smoking day and night or it is tobacco that goes Spain or France by smuggling???????

But... there is a "duty free town at Spain" near Andorra with no control.
We could consider "the Spanish city with no law".

It is called "Os de Civis"

It is a valley than after one point comes back Spain again.

On the picture you can see yellow line for border between Spain and Andorra and... France in the north!!!!

Just 30 km to the main town in Spain but... two international borders out of Schengen treaty

There are no indications that you are entering Spain again. Otherwise, some tourist arrive there and when in the only hotel of the town they make the invoice including VAT and with the address indicating Spain, they are surprised!!!!

At Os de Civis citizens are allowed to buy anything at Andorra and sell at their town (just only 100 habitants). This includes tobacco, alcohol and other goods.
They are Spanish citizens and must pay VAT for anything (not too many shops on town but there is a hotel) as well as any other Spanish tax (workers must pay taxes as any other worker in any entreprise at Spain).

There are some ways to arrive Os de Civis:

1- Crossing twice Andorra border (entering and exit in just some kilometres).

2- By off-side road. This includes peaks over 2.500 and impossible on winter and part of autumn and spring

3- by air...

Andorra allows all traffic to Os de Civis as "duty" except for police and army.

Last time police had to go to investigate something at Os de Civis... they had to go on helicopter!!!! because they know they are not allowed to cross the border.

(maybe they arrive once every five years... this is why it is the "Spanish village with no law").

As I said, it is legal to import anything to Os de Civis without paying any tax... but should you take it and go over mountains to cross them will be considered as smuggling.

In fact, Andorra police only control two points of its border, the main road to Spain and the main road to France. They know that there are too many Spanish and French police on the border because customs.

Sometimes they had an emergency they block both borders (for example a crime inside the country... they block both borders and they know that person who is look for is inside the country).
They will not control if he tries to escape crossing mountains... because they know that it is sure he will find any Spanish or French police in his way

And finally... some pictures of Os de Civis

The border

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #4600
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's true

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways