daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #4721
gorefest

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Ah, "Italian Carinthia". Why isn't that sign in Italian? Is there also a sign in Slovenian? Btw, is that A23 in the back?
found it .... there two stones actually .. on on the each side of the street .. one in german ( or austrian dialect .. don`t know ) and one in italian ....unfotunnately as it seems there is no sign in slovenian due the fact that on that time Slovenia was under the Austrian Empire ... ( just an assumption )

and here is a panoramic view of the place ... pretty unkempt these days from what I see

http://www.360cities.net/image/italy...er-in-pontebba

Last edited by gorefest; July 19th, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
gorefest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4722
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorefest View Post
exactly like in the case of Bulgaria , Serbia and Romania .. nice pic

In the South American river tripoint, obviously it is impossible to put a monument in the exact point of the borders.

But at least, in the Argentinian side there is one just closed to it, remembering that crossing one river you arrive Paraguay and crossing the another one... Brazil.

International bridges are 3,5km (Argentina-Brazil) from river tripoint and 9km (Paraguay-Brazil) from river tripoint.

Cities on the border are Puerto Iguazú (translated as Port of Iguazú) in Argentina, Foz de Iguaçu at Brazil and Ciudad del Este (translated as Eastern city) at Paraguay.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #4723
gorefest

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
In the South American river tripoint, obviously it is impossible to put a monument in the exact point of the borders.

But at least, in the Argentinian side there is one just closed to it, remembering that crossing one river you arrive Paraguay and crossing the another one... Brazil.
Well of course it is the same in the tripoint of these countries .. who could put a monument in the middle of the Danube ? well theoretical it could be done ... but that would only slow and complicate the navigation of the ships and boats on the Danube ...
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #4724
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

It could be more difficult to put them just some kilometres east... in the Iguazu falls!!!!!

Old July 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #4725
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

yesterday night, watching a 24 hours TV news channel I noticed they put the weather report all over the world and... the "new" country did not appeared on the map.
I've requested to update its map...

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4726
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorefest View Post
found it .... there two stones actually .. on on the each side of the street .. one in german ( or austrian dialect .. don`t know ) and one in italian ....unfotunnately as it seems there is no sign in slovenian due the fact that on that time Slovenia was under the Austrian Empire ... ( just an assumption )

and here is a panoramic view of the place ... pretty unkempt these days from what I see

http://www.360cities.net/image/italy...er-in-pontebba
interesting stuff.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #4727
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Trst View Post
And to be precise, Slovenes live on all three sides of the border!
The real ethnic tripoint is not an international border anymore and it lies in Pontafel/Pontebba/Tablja, which used to be an international border for centuries, between old Austria (and of course Austria-Hungary) and Italy (previously Venetian Republic).

What on Earth is the IX. Myriameter von Klagenfurt?! Some metric unit I've never heard of?
(But this is a serious question: I'm curous whether anyone knows what that means.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #4729
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Interesting! I'd usually read IX as an ordinal* (ninth rather than nine) so I didn't know what to make of it.

*although that may be a French usage I've picked up - VIIIe arrondissement of Paris, XIXe siècle (19th century) - because I can't think of any English examples....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4730
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2105

It can be read also as an ordinal:
(This borderstone is placed at) the ninth myriameter from Klagenfurt.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #4731
gorefest

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It can be read also as an ordinal:
(This borderstone is placed at) the ninth myriameter from Klagenfurt.
Thaks for the translation

a small article found a journey diary on net ...
Quote:
Pontebba had been the border town between Italy and Austria before the First World War. (photos 2722, 2723)

On the bridge spanning the river there are two cylindrical concrete pillars on the east side, either side of the bridge. One was in Italian, the other in German:

Kaiserthum, Oesterreich / Herzocthum, Karnten / IX 3/10 Myriameter von Klagenfurt. Grenzstein der Ehemaligen Grenze ltalien - Osterreich (bis 1918) Kronland Venedig X meilen nach Udine, Karnten XII 1/2 meilen von Klagenfurt. Lippodel Vecchio Confine ltalia - Austria ( Fino al 1918)

The west side of the town has Italian buildings; on the east side there are distinctly Austrian buildings in contrast.
really interesting .... does anyone have some pictures from the borders with the south Tyrol ? from what some friends told me , there are some very strong and radical opinions over there , regarding the fact that Tyrol is austrian ... and i`ve seen some pictures too .... exactly in this thread ...
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #4732
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Pontebba is not in Tyrol, not even the South one. It is in Friuli.
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #4733
gorefest

Quote:
of course that I know this ... i know where it is ... i was asking about the South Tyrol , which is now in Italia ... that is all
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4734
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

South Tirol is an autonomous region in Italy, which also forms a part of Austrian Tirol. The German speaking locals do not see themselves as Italians. Tirol itself is to be divided in three different regions. North Tirol, East Tirol (both in Austria) and South Tirol (Italy). I live in North Tirol. Local newspaper Die Tiroler Tagezeitung makes no distinction in which part of Tirol is in which country, and news from any part of Tirol is listed as local news. Austrian radio is available in the whole of Tirol, and the A22 Brenner Autobahn in Italy is added in the half-hourly traffic information (as well as A8 and A93 in Germany). Our local news channel ORF Tirol includes news and updates from South Tirol, and is widely available.

Last edited by Road_UK; July 19th, 2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo's
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4735
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Part of it is in Carinzia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4736
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Interesting! I'd usually read IX as an ordinal* (ninth rather than nine) so I didn't know what to make of it.

*although that may be a French usage I've picked up - VIIIe arrondissement of Paris, XIXe siècle (19th century) - because I can't think of any English examples....

Maybe someones from countries with Latin languages will be able to explain the case of every language.

In Spanish, for example, it is mandatory to write centuries with roman numbers. S = Siglo (century), so "SXXI" is "21st century"..
Writting a century with arabic numbers is considered as an ortographic mistake!!! and punished in an exam, for example.
And... "century" comes from Latin. (Cent = One hundred)
Take a look that in all Latin Languages One Hundred will be similar and will begin with "cent" or something similar
In Spanish is "Cien". I talked about it in the language signals thread.

Years are written in arabic numbers but until 19th century there were very used in latin numbers too. That makes any old signal or memorandum needs to translate the number of the year.
Latin numbers are explained on classed for children of 9-10 years old more or less.

Old July 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #4737
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

g.spinoza will be mad again.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4738
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Slovenia, Hungary and Austria are all in Schengen, so no problem walking around the tripoint. When I was there, we weren't in Schengen yet, but I walked around the tripoint anyway. I don't know about this tripoint, but I think it was actually allowed to walk around the tripoint between Slovenia, Austria and Italy even before we entered Schengen. As for Slovenia-Croatia-Hungary, that tripoint isn't determined yet because of the undefined Slovenian-Croatian border. I was around there four years ago and barely got there (crap road, high grass and snakes).
This is the tripoint of Finland, Sweden, and Norway:

The tripoint is located in an unhabited area used mainly for hiking and reindeer husbandry. There is a walking path of 11 km from the tripoint to the closest road (21/E8 in Finland).

The interesting thing is that it was officially forbidden to walk around the tripoint until late 1995. There was an agreement between Norway and Finland as well as Norway and Sweden that pedestrians were allowed to cross the certain sections of the border. However, there was no such an agreement between Finland and Sweden, thus making it illegal to enter Sweden from Finland and vice versa. But entering Sweden from Finland via Norway was legal. Nobody obeyed that rule, and it was relieved in 1995. Currently, all the three countries belong the the Schengen area, and the whole problem has turned obsolete.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #4739
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Part of it is in Carinzia.
Part of what is in Carinzia? Pontebba, Tyrol or Friuli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Maybe someones from countries with Latin languages will be able to explain the case of every language.

In Spanish, for example, it is mandatory to write centuries with roman numbers. S = Siglo (century), so "SXXI" is "21st century"..
Writting a century with arabic numbers is considered as an ortographic mistake!!! and punished in an exam, for example.
There's no such provision in Italian, you can either write "XXI secolo" or "21º secolo", it's the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
g.spinoza will be mad again.
Have I been mad before?
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #4740
gorefest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
South Tirol is an autonomous region in Italy, which also forms a part of Austrian Tirol. The German speaking locals do not see themselves as Italians. Tirol itself is to be divided in three different regions. North Tirol, East Tirol (both in Austria) and South Tirol (Italy). I live in North Tirol. Local newspaper Die Tiroler Tagezeitung makes no distinction in which part of Tirol is in which country, and news from any part of Tirol is listed as local news. Austrian radio is available in the whole of Tirol, and the A22 Brenner Autobahn in Italy is added in the half-hourly traffic information (as well as A8 and A93 in Germany). Our local news channel ORF Tirol includes news and updates from South Tirol, and is widely available.

thank you !!! that is what i wanted to hear ... ok I understood the attitude of those from Austria .... how are the things in the south and the attitude from the italians who are living in that zone ? because I have some some very good serbian friends moved ( not in south Tirol ) .. in north ... in Telfs and they were telling me that even today when the borders are open and movement is freer than ever , thet still suffer from the fact that South Tirol is not austrian on papers and on the geographic map .

Last edited by gorefest; July 19th, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
gorefest no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways