daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #4841
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
In Slovenia and Croatia some new roads were built, but not many. In one case (by Kumrovec) I think the Croats even built a few km's of new railway.

Otherwise, they both made border check points on the last station in each country.
Croatia didn't built new railway near Kumrovec. Railway that Google maps shows there does not exists and I don't know where did Google found that data
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4842
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
you never know sometime happend all for the rong reason I mean it might be drugs involved
Well, I thought there must have been a bigger reason because of this coordinated controls in three different countries on different border crossings.
Hanno1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4843
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
In Slovenia and Croatia some new roads were built, but not many. In one case (by Kumrovec) I think the Croats even built a few km's of new railway.

Otherwise, they both made border check points on the last station in each country.
no. that railroad is cirrently abandoned because SLO and HR sides haven't managed to find solution about its crossing the border several times. i really don't understand that stupidity, as somebody would jump off the running train. same is with railroad at HR and BIH border in Una valley, although that one has been destroyed in war.
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM   #4844
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

I read on a magazine an article about the trains that goes from Russia to Kaliningrad, that small part or Russia between Poland and Lituania.
Trains must have at least two border crossing to arrive there but it is possible to go there with no passport control.
How?. When lefting that train, all passengers were requested to show the ticket and, depending of the origin, you must pass the custom control.
This is because the same train is used as well as for international traffic or local traffic.

If someone went from continental Russia to Kaliningrad... when arriving, obviously, no passport control.

The same case for inside traffic with the same train at Belarus or Lituania.

But... the most curious thing was fares... a single ticket (this is... a ticket inside Russia, event if the train crossed two borders to arrive there) was more expensive than any international one.
So then, most of passengers knew in which station the train will be stopped at least 30 minutes... and they asked for a ticket up to there, left the train, passed the border control (different country), buyed a new ticket, new border control and finnally a new border control at Kaliningrad (they were Russians but they come from a foreing station).

In other words:

A ticket "continental Russia - Kaliningrad" was more expensive than two tickets: "continental Russia - anywhere at Belarus or Lituania" + "anywhere at Belarus or Lituania - Kaliningrad".

Four border controls to save money...

Can anyone tell us how is this situation nowadays?. I read the article some years ago.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:13 AM   #4845
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Trains must have at least two border crossing to arrive there but it is possible to go there with no passport control.
How?. When lefting that train, all passengers were requested to show the ticket and, depending of the origin, you must pass the custom control.
This is because the same train is used as well as for international traffic or local traffic.
I am not sure this is correct. To visit Lithuania, Russian citizens need a visa. To transit through the territory of Lithuania (without de-embarking the train), Russian citizens still need to obtain a document that permits such a transit. Most commonly a transit passenger would use a so-called simplified rail-road travel document (УПД-ЖД) that still has to be approved by the Lithuanian consulate.

Quote:
If someone went from continental Russia to Kaliningrad... when arriving, obviously, no passport control.
Not quite correct. The passport control is done when the train crosses the actual border, just like in any other case. However, transit passengers holding УПД-ЖД cannot de-embark in Lithuania at all. There is also border control when entering Kaliningrad district from Lithuania.

Quote:
But... the most curious thing was fares... a single ticket (this is... a ticket inside Russia, event if the train crossed two borders to arrive there) was more expensive than any international one.
So then, most of passengers knew in which station the train will be stopped at least 30 minutes... and they asked for a ticket up to there, left the train, passed the border control (different country), buyed a new ticket, new border control and finnally a new border control at Kaliningrad (they were Russians but they come from a foreing station).
It might be possible, but Russian citizens would need Lithuanian (Schengen) visa to do that. A person would still need to pay for a visa, so I do not know what the net saving would be.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4846
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

It was years ago when I read that article and I wanted to post and ask the actual situation. As I see, it has changed...

Really... I do not remember if it was before or after Schengen at Lithuania, and neither I do not remember if the station for transit was at Belarus or Lithuania but... it was so different that I wanted to ask.

As I see... tramits change and evolutions while the time.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4847
Alexander18

Liechtenstein/Austria border at Schaanwald/Tisis

https://picasaweb.google.com/wyche28...14551553642850

https://picasaweb.google.com/wyche28...14577026374482

Last edited by Alexander18; August 3rd, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Alexander18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #4848
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
no. that railroad is cirrently abandoned because SLO and HR sides haven't managed to find solution about its crossing the border several times. i really don't understand that stupidity, as somebody would jump off the running train. same is with railroad at HR and BIH border in Una valley, although that one has been destroyed in war.
The track Beograd-Bar however is opened and crosses the SRB-BiH-border several times as well.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4849
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The Slovenian-Croatian railway runs through small towns/villages, so cross-border traffic would probably be abandoned even if the railway crossed the border only once.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:10 AM   #4850
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
The track Beograd-Bar however is opened and crosses the SRB-BiH-border several times as well.

Is the traffic "border free" for inside transits or there is a control in every border?

As I said some pages before, Llivia is a Spanish town located inside French territory and only 2 km away from border.

Because a treaty, no border customs were allowed. After crossing the border there was a cross. Ahead Llivia town (Spain again), Right or left, anywhere in France.

French police allowed any Spanish car to cross the border but, if in the cross they didn't keep ahead (to Llivia), they will make a passport and baggage control as a border custom.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM   #4851
pai nosso

Likes (Received): 4050

Portugal (Mourăo) /Spain (Villanueva del Fresno)

P.S.: view from Spain
pai nosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4852
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

In at least 90% of bording crosses between Spain and Portugal, borders cabins never exists at all. There are some ones which still exists without use. When a new road or motorway is build or a road is updated, cabin just dissapear (why to keep it when you are going to update all the road trying to improve average speed???).

I remember an article of a journalist who, in 1974 had to move from Madrid to Lisboa when the Portuguese revolution. He said that as well as the news where very recent he wanted to move very quick, before Spanish police (still on a dictature government) will close borders. He said there were about 15 borders only (nowadays there are full of points where you can cross from one country to the another) and he chose the one with less traffic.

I do not remember exactly which one it was but I remember it was located between Guarda and Castelo Branco (Caceres and Salamanca in Spain).

Borders were not closed definitively... but the people who tried to cross the border in the following days needed additional visa. Just to say why you wanted to exit Spain to enter in a country on behalf of a revolution. It was enough, for example, that you were a journalist and... they allowed you to go (on your own risks, of course...). No problem to go, but maybe one day lost only for permissions and visas.

The first journalist could cross the border thanks he went as fast as he could, before the police began a new tramitation for that exceptional situation.

2011 and... just a signal remembering you have crossed the border. 90% of them with no border cabins and as well as roads will be updated they will arrive to 100% (there is not a specific plan to erase them, only if road requires to be updated).

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #4853
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

There are 2 crossings that fit that description, one the major Vilar Formoso one and the other one is near to Castelo Branco where there are small traditional building on both sides of the border where cars used to pull up. The last time I went there as we approached the border a policeman came out and looked at us . The road comes down a hill from Portugal turns left onto a bridge then you turn right and up a Spanish side of the valley

There actually aren't that many crossings between Portugal and Spain, and in many places the "cabins" were little houses on the side of the road, and many of them are still there (some in a very bad state), in the photo above you can see one.

In other places there are buildings in the middle of the road, but they aren't metal cabins but proper stone buildings, and beautiful ones too, I've posted a few here (the most recent one I've shown from the great blog Histórias da Raia, and it was in Tui).

Then there is Vilar Formoso which does have metal cabins as seen in the rest of Europe.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 3rd, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #4854
Alexander18

German/Austria at Zugsptize

https://picasaweb.google.com/wyche28...20538272643794
Alexander18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4855
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

This picture could be in different threads...

http://maps.google.es/?ll=43.293419,...,324.2,,0,9.26

It is the N-121 in Spain Tarazona-Tudela-Pamplona-Irun

The point where the photo is the regional border between Navarra and Basque country and about 10 km away from the sea only. The river makes the regional border.

We can see the works of the new bridge over the river to increase wide, safety and average speed.

In the left side of the river... 100m ahead it becomes France. When Spain had borders very closed, that was a road very controlled... because anyone who stops there and just walk 100m closed to the river, enters in France.

After crossing this bridge, the road will continue in the right side of the Bidasoa river. The left one is France at all.

Old August 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #4856
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Como (I) -> Chiasso (CH):

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #4857
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
Doesn't anyone else think that the EU needs a proper CoA?
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #4858
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Absolutely! Yes! I'm all for it! They ought to get started NOW!

What is CoA?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #4859
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Coat of Arms
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4860
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suissetralia View Post
Doesn't anyone else think that the EU needs a proper CoA?

Or maybe the own flag is enough.

Less symbols... easier to understand them...

If someone puts me coat of arms of territories besides my home, maybe I will not recognise them. Flags.. I think so.

Tags
highways, motorways