daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #4881
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No, not on cigarettes and fuel. Customs guidelines in most countries are still 800 cigarettes. In Germany one 20 litre jerrycan of fuel may be taken with you. Believe me, German and French customs are still on to you if they have sufficient reason to believe you purchase cigarettes and fuel for re-sale. I did get fined a few times by the French and Germans for having more then the legal limit. British guidelines are 1600 cigarettes. Alcohol is also restricted.

From www.zoll.de:
Please, do not forget that there are prohibitions and restrictions to be considered even for taking goods within the European Community.
By controlling the above mentioned import and export prohibitions, Customs contributes to the protection of consumer and environment.

It is thrue. It is not usual to have smuggling because you need to carry too many merchandise to have some benefits. Police know it and only make checks if they suspect there is an important operation.

Inside Spain... we have internal checks too!!!!!! Taxes at Ceuta and Melilla and Canary Islands are quite smallers than in the rest of Spain (continental Spain and Balearic Islands). I think that equivalent to VAT at Melilla is around 4% only... and for alcohol, tobacco, etc... similar.

In the case of Canary Islands it is very easy because 99,95% of movements are by plane. You will carry not too many things by plane because weight restrictions and when passing the baggage by a scanner, police can know what are you carrying.
In the case of Ceuta and Melilla (most usual to have ferries) it is more difficult because on a car you can carry anything.

In the little airport of my city, in the arrival terminal there is a big pannel remembering that passengers coming from Canary Islands have restrictions about baggage and which should be declared.
The airport has not too many flights but there are some ones from anywhere at EU (that happens when WizzAir and Ryanair arrives...) and some of them are from Canary Islands. Only those passengers will have random controls.

Finnally... we have wroten in the last pages about crosses between Spain and Portugal and Spain and France. Some of them without border cabins. All of them without using it. Instead, controls to Andorra and Gibraltar are very, very strong because smuggling.
In the case of Andorra I know that they stop ALL cars and check at least one baggage randomly.
But it is not part of EU...

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #4882
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

If you buy a few boxes of cigarettes or tobacco in Spain (special shops set up on the borders with France - especially Irun and La Jonquera - been to a few of those) intended for resale in France or the UK it is really worth it. There is a reason why French customs always randomly check vehicles at the first few tollbooths after the border. French prices are expensive, UK prices are astronomical.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4883
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The right lane is a frequent-crosser commuter express lane and in that clip, it is explained that permits for its use cost a couple of hundred dollars per year.

Yes, 'STOP' signs in Mexico say 'ALTO'.

Mike

First time I watched a "Stop" signal wrotten in Spanish was in the film "Guantanamera" made at Cuba, and translation used was "PARE", which I think it is more correct ("Alto" may say "hey! stop there", and "pare" may say "you may stop here").

As far as I know, when first traffic signals arrive to Spain in the middle of 20th century, it was very stange the "Stop" signal because nobody spoke English. The country, as I said, was in a bubble and there was few relations with other countries, even with neighbours.
And... they translated first Stop signals to make them bilingual... (but what I do not remember is which word they used because there are several correct translations).

After that, the next time I watched the signal translated to Spanish was in Cuba. Guantanamera movie is one example... but in any program about Cuba, looking on the streets you will find more.

This time, at Mexico is the next one (and third case) I see translated.

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #4884
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
No, they always had border controls until Schengen came in force. I think they all started at the same time.
Nooo, in B-NL border there was not even a border station when I was there in the early 90's.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #4885
Attus

Quote:
And in Luxembourg they still have cheap cigarettes and fuel, which can be smuggled into the Netherlands.
There's no smuggle inside EU (I mean for goods that you can have legally). You are allowed to go from L to NL having a ton of cigarette and 500l fuel free.
WRONG: Se my recent post

Last edited by Attus; August 5th, 2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I was wrong
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4886
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Can anyone check restrictions about smuggling inside EU for special goods?.

Is it possible that, such taxes are very near ones to others, police to not take care?.

In any case... Canary Islands are part of EU and have customs controls even when travelling inside the own country. They do not ask for passport but they can check your baggage. In fact, they make in the scanners. I think they look as many forbidden articles on aboard than forbidden goods that can be exported depending of your destination (they ask you the passport and boarding pass).

P.S. For visitors to Canary Islands, take care because those restrictions apply to all countries, not only Spain. You are buying goods in a half-duty-free island inside EU, and you can be required to pay all taxes!!!.

For visitors to some islands too... inform about Unesco heritage situation. Some of them are declared biosphere heritage and it is absolutely forbidden to export anything from the environment... event a little rock or a pot with beach sand as a souvenir.
I know three cases where they were catched in the airport scanner and there is no fine if little things but you must open your baggage and leave it there... and you will loose time (let's think if you are hurry and police to not allow you to go to plane because you are exporting something illegal according to Unesco heritage)

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #4887
Attus

Sorry, I must admin I was wrong.
- as for tobacco even inside traffic is limited, you only may have the quantity for yourself without paying a duty*
- the same is true for alcohols
- however I did not find any restriction for fuel

* Detailed information
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #4888
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
There's no smuggle inside EU (I mean for goods that you can have legally). You are allowed to go from L to NL having a ton of cigarette and 500l fuel free.
Right.
From Belgian customs:
Richtlijnen omtrent hoeveelheden (EU-catalogus) per persoon:

- Takswaren-Sigaretten: 800 stuks
- Sigaren: 200 stuks
- Pijptabak: 1,0 kilo

Alcoholische dranken:

- Gedestilleerd: 10 liter
- Dranken met minder dan 22%: 20 liter
- Wijn (max. 60 l mousserend): 90 liter
- Bier: 110 liter
These are guidelines only. It's in Dutch, but I'm sure you can work it out. If the Belgian customs havent stopped you if your ton of cigarettes at the first lay-by after the Luxembourg border (they are there sometimes in old crappy Ford Transits) asking you a few questions, then...

From www.douane.nl , bad translation from google:

Exemption from excise duty / excise duty paid if from another EU-country travels in Netherlands

If you travel to Netherlands from another EU country? And please no more excise goods into the next volume?

110 liters of beer
90 liters of wine
20 liters of fortified wine such as sherry or port
10 liters of spirits such as whiskey, brandy, gin
800 cigarettes
400 cigarillos or cigars
1 kilo of tobacco smoke

Then you do when entering the Netherlands no duty to pay. (You will be exempt from excise duty.) Customs assumes that the goods are for personal use. You do not report it.

example:

You travel from France to the Netherlands: You bought in a regular shop in France, 30 liters of beer, 90 liters of wine, 650 cigarettes and two liters of whiskey. You take all the goods into the Netherlands. Then you do when entering the Netherlands no duty to pay if you bought the drinks and cigarettes for personal use.

Attention!

Please excise goods with more than the above amounts? Customs can then determine whether the goods are indeed his own use. If that is not the case, you must pay excise duty.

Tobacco products not intended for personal use, in addition, bear stamps.

Just so you know...
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4889
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Sorry, I must admin I was wrong.
- as for tobacco even inside traffic is limited, you only may have the quantity for yourself without paying a duty*
- the same is true for alcohols
- however I did not find any restriction for fuel

* Detailed information
No worries. As for fuel, I didn't know that either, but German customs really insist you bring one jerrycan containing 20 liters of diesel out of another EU state only. I did have to pay excise duty when I got out of the Czech Republic one time.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4890
eucitizen

Likes (Received): 20

You can have amount of cigarettes or alcohol above that limit but you have to prove it is for personal use.
What are the prices for example for the marlboro light? In Italy it is 4,50 €, in Czech rep. and Slovakia around 3,20 €. Just one curiosity, in Slovakia there are only 19 cigarettes in one packet, a trick by the tobacco companies not to lift prices.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #4891
Prahova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Serbia-Montenegro
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Prahova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4892
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Did they put a border control in all roads that cross it or just they cut some of them and put the control in another ones.

Have they think in something about avoiding controls?

Old August 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4893
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Interesting story on the top of Belgian sites at the moment: the "coffee shops" (with legal drugs) in Maastricht will from now on only be open to people from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. My first reaction is, is that legal? Can they exclude citizens of other EU countries? (Not that I'm personally interested in being able to go to Maastricht for legal drugs, and not an EU citizen anyway...)

http://www.lesoir.be/actualite/belgi...nds-855093.php

(In the interest of equal time, I looked for a Dutch version, but it's not on the Standaard or the VRT.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4894
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Interesting story on the top of Belgian sites at the moment: the "coffee shops" (with legal drugs) in Maastricht will from now on only be open to people from the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.
On a similar note, I have read somewhere that the Dutch legislature is thinking to limit the sale of Ganja in coffee shops to Dutch citizens only. This made a lot of Dutch unhappy including the Amsterdam mayor. Let's hope it will not pass
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #4895
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
On a similar note, I have read somewhere that the Dutch legislature is thinking to limit the sale of Ganja in coffee shops to Dutch citizens only. This made a lot of Dutch unhappy including the Amsterdam mayor. Let's hope it will not pass
Actually it's about limiting it to residents I believe. And since any EU citizen can become a resident if they wish is likely that it isn't against EU laws...
Old August 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #4896
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Actually it's about limiting it to residents I believe. And since any EU citizen can become a resident if they wish is likely that it isn't against EU laws...
Actually it wouldn’t be against the EU laws (certainly their spirit and principles) only if it was limited to the "EU residents", not residents in the Netherlands. I could hardly believe that law that limits trade with certain goods to only certain country residents can be interpreted as in accordance with the free trade and movement of goods and services principle together with the equality principle. If commodities like land have to be free to trade with around the whole EU, marihuana should not really get some exceptional position. But on the other side, I know that the "EU" laws or principles are implemented rather freely in the "old member" countries.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #4897
tbh444

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The USA does not have a counterpart and our real inspections are at the border checkpoints. That said, it is not unusual for the USA customs guys to set up inspection areas farther inland as well, mainly looking for illegal aliens.
Yes I went through this one on a visit a few years ago - didn't take long but must be strange for locals doing routine journeys (not that there's actually anywhere much to be travelling to or from around there)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...,51.33,,0,7.79
tbh444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:33 AM   #4898
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbh444 View Post
Yes I went through this one on a visit a few years ago - didn't take long but must be strange for locals doing routine journeys (not that there's actually anywhere much to be travelling to or from around there)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...,51.33,,0,7.79
Some more border patrol checkpoints are located at busy routes like I-5 and I-15, and locals know them all too well. As far as I know, near southern border checkpoints existed for quite a while. However, several years ago, Ministerium für Vaterlandsicherheit also started setting up rolling checkpoints in the Northwest near Canadian border to catch illegal Canadians, I presume
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #4899
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
The Scottish government pays the university fees of Scottish people, and there for they have to pay the fees of non-British EU citizens, however the tuition fees for English, Northern Irish and Welsh students in Scotland is £9000 per annum. Its a bit unfair though
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4900
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Some more border patrol checkpoints are located at busy routes like I-5 and I-15, and locals know them all too well. As far as I know, near southern border checkpoints existed for quite a while. However, several years ago, Ministerium für Vaterlandsicherheit also started setting up rolling checkpoints in the Northwest near Canadian border to catch illegal Canadians, I presume
I suppose they'd justify it as (a) even-handedness and (b) preventing people getting in the back door - the "Millennium Bomber" who wanted to attack Los Angeles Airport on 12/31/99 crossed the border in the northwest, after all.

My brother happened to be in Montreal on 9/11 and wasn't able to come home for a few days because the border there was closed.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways