daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #4901
Alexander18

Likes (Received): 2

Bulgarian Border in Gyueshevo

Alexander18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4902
GeertjeC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The Scottish government pays the university fees of Scottish people, and there for they have to pay the fees of non-British EU citizens, however the tuition fees for English, Northern Irish and Welsh students in Scotland is Ł9000 per annum. Its a bit unfair though
That's tuition fees though. The reason the Scottish government is allowed to discriminate against other British countries is because it's treated as the same country under EU law, so English/Welsh/Northern Irish students aren't exercising their treaty rights by moving to Scotland, whereas other EU students do. It's not limited by nationality, of course - an English student who has first spent some time living abroad, for example, would be exercising treaty rights and so would not need to pay tuition fees in Scotland. In this respect, Scottish independence (if Scotland remained part of the EU) would help to prevent this unfair discrimination of non-Scottish UK students.

It's important to note that this applies to tuition fees only. Maintenance grants, on the other hand, are generally determined by residency. Indeed, Article 24(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...77:0123:EN:PDF) explicitly states that maintenance grants need not be offered before permanent residence has been established.
So for example, in the UK, if you want a research council maintenance grant for a postgraduate degree, you will need to have been resident in the UK for the preceding three years. (This applies even if you're a British citizen.) However, you're eligible for them to pay for your tuition fees if you're a national of any EEA country, regardless of residency (funding isn't guaranteed - these are merely eligibility criteria).

However, residency rules aren't always trivial; for example, here's a recent European Court of Justice ruling demonstrating how a person can become integrated and entitled to a tuition fee loan despite not having fulfilled all residency requirements: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...3J0209:EN:HTML

So as far as I understand things, the proposed Dutch solution of the coffee shop issue is perfectly legal. They want to make coffee shops members' only clubs, and restrict membership to local residents only (where 'local' really is local - it's not the entire territory of the Netherlands, or at least that was my understanding of it). That doesn't seem to me to be discriminatory at all; if you move there, you can join, and any EU citizen is allowed to move there, so there doesn't seem to me to be any discrimination based on nationality.
GeertjeC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #4903
invincibletiger

Likes (Received): 2818

Another border crossing between Macedonia and Bulgaria ... Deve Bair

invincibletiger está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #4904
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

On the marihuana thing;
"Officially" (in laws, documents, agreements of EU) marihuana is illegal in the Netherlands.
We only "gedogen" (tollerate) it. And I think therefore they can't punish the banning of it to EU citizens, 'cause officially it's already banned to all Dutch and Europeans

Last edited by MrAronymous; August 9th, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #4905
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Why the Dutch government isn't happy about tourist buying "weed" in NL but accepts if locals do it? Usually laws such traffic rules, smoking bans, minimum age to drink\smoke, environment-related laws, etc... are equal for everybody in democratic countries, doesn't matter if you are a local, if you live in another part of the country or if you came from another EU or non-EU country.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #4906
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The problem apparently is that these "tourists" bring along a lot of trouble, and drive under influence, with car chases and crashes not being uncommon. It apparently also attracts drugs runners. It's even quoted that they don't like the additional traffic, because they all come by car.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #4907
italystf

And Schengen agreement allows tourist to bring that stuff back to their countries where is illegal.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #4908
ja_kubek2
User

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
And Schengen agreement allows tourist to bring that stuff back to their countries where is illegal.
no, it doesn't. it is possible and easy, but not legal.
ja_kubek2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4909
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_kubek2 View Post
no, it doesn't. it is possible and easy, but not legal.
I know that is illegal. But since there are no border checks between NL and neighbouring contries is practically feasible and there are little chance to be caught if you travel by car\train; it's more dangerous by plane due to anti-drug dogs that control luggage even for flights inside the same country.
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #4910
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

how does NL police do tests for being high while driving? here we call those markers "lollipops", but they show positive result few days after consumption. do you have somethnig else in NL or you are not supposed to drive few days after taking some ganja?
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #4911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

That's the whole problem, there is no reliable test right now. They can only cite them for reckless driving or for traffic offenses.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4912
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post

At Spain it is have marihuana for own consume and you can consume it only in private places (such your home and little places more... because a pub is public).

If you are found with small quantities in the pocket it is legal but you cannot smoke it in the street.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #4913
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

In Portugal all drugs are legal for personal use
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #4914
Alexander18

Likes (Received): 2

Swiss/ Liechtenstein border in River Rhine

Last edited by Alexander18; August 10th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.
Alexander18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #4915
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Mexico-USA Int´l Border

Mexico-USA international border

Young girl at binational border protest at Friendship Park
passes candy to children on the Mexican side of the fence

Territorial evolution of the north american continent
Boundaries change all the time......

Territorial evolution of the United States of America and the United Mexican States

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #4916
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

Ohh... I'm currently stucking in the 1 km+ queue of Horgos - Röszke border crossing (serbia - hungary)

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #4917
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeertjeC View Post
So as far as I understand things, the proposed Dutch solution of the coffee shop issue is perfectly legal. They want to make coffee shops members' only clubs, and restrict membership to local residents only (where 'local' really is local - it's not the entire territory of the Netherlands, or at least that was my understanding of it). That doesn't seem to me to be discriminatory at all; if you move there, you can join, and any EU citizen is allowed to move there, so there doesn't seem to me to be any discrimination based on nationality.
Its just like, saying, creating club of the landlords and only a member of landlord club can be buying land in certain country... BTW, only a resident for lets say 5 or more years can become a member of landlords club in that particular country....

Doesnt seem to be discriminatory???

It clearly goes against the principals of the european treaties. Whatever else is not important. If you play with words long enough time you can make almost everything legal... however there are certain principles in the law that should be respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
On the marihuana thing;
"Officially" (in laws, documents, agreements of EU) marihuana is illegal in the Netherlands.
We only "gedogen" (tollerate) it. And I think therefore they can't punish the banning of it to EU citizens, 'cause officially it's already banned to all Dutch and Europeans
I guess this is more the problem... either legalize it, or make it illegal. This law - no law seems to me to be a big problem as well as police which is not willing to really act but is rather willing to tollerate.

What would be for me a clean solution, would be creating a system similar to the gun´s licences. You could buy a marihuana in coffieshop only if you were an owner of a marihuana consumption licence. Everyone would be able to obtain this licence if complying with certain conditions. Residency condition doesnt seem to me to be relevant here because buying marihuana doesnt belong to the social sector use which only can be conditioned with residency (better with migrant worker status condition).

Last edited by Surel; August 14th, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: some grammer
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #4918
Fabri88
Keratoconic User

Likes (Received): 2201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The problem apparently is that these "tourists" bring along a lot of trouble, and drive under influence, with car chases and crashes not being uncommon. It apparently also attracts drugs runners. It's even quoted that they don't like the additional traffic, because they all come by car.
If the trouble are foreign drivers it would be good a law that oblige foreign people to show an airline ticket and/or a train ticket.

YES TO THE UNITED STATES OF EUROPE ♥ FREEDOM FOR NORTH KOREA
STOP SYRIAN AND IRAQI GENOCIDE ♥ SUPPORT FEMINISM AND FEMALE EDUCATION
Fabri88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #4919
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

2 video's of the border Belgium - France:
1. E40 highway Brussels - Calais, driving Belgium into France:

2. Driving France into Belgium at Callicanes (between Steenvoorde and Poperinge):
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #4920
GeertjeC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Its just like, saying, creating club of the landlords and only a member of landlord club can be buying land in certain country... BTW, only a resident for lets say 5 or more years can become a member of a landlords club in that particular country....

Doesnt seem to be discriminatory???

It clearly goes against the principals of the european treaties. Whatever else is not important. If you play with words long enough time you can make almost everything legal... however there are certain principals in the law that should be respected.
I think it's a matter of implementation. If you require someone to live somewhere for 5 years before they become eligible to become members of the club, then yes, that certainly sounds like discrimination. However, if all you do is require residency - say in the form of a tenancy agreement or property ownership - then it doesn't seem to me to be discriminatory. There doesn't seem to be any valid reason justifying a 5 year waiting period, so such a waiting period would indeed probably be discriminatory - but what makes you think there would be one?

(Your example of being able to buy land only if you're already a landowner is somewhat disingenuous, as of course this is how you gain residency, and so such a condition would be cyclical and obviously discriminatory.)
GeertjeC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways