daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #4941
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

No, Morocco.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #4942
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Vladivostok is in Asian Russia. Southern Russia is in geographic Europe. If the Caucasus isn't the border of Europe, then what is? Frankly, the only debate I can imagine is by the French or Italians because then the Mt Blanc is not the highest of Europe.
The world atlas I was looking at all the time as a child treated the western half of the then-Soviet Union - including Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia but not an inch of Kazakhstan - as Europe, and the eastern part of the Soviet Union (including the entirety of Kazakhstan) as Asia. And I know we used to call all those -stans "Soviet Central Asia." (It had a map of Europe in which the European countries were colored in and Africa and Asia was left white, so you could tell exactly where Europe ended, or to be precise, exactly where the publishers felt Europe ended: it was where the colors stopped. It also had the bit of Turkey that's west of the Bosporus colored in and the rest of it not.)

Not to get political, but the notion that "Turkey is European" would get plenty of argument in France, and I suppose in some other "older" EU members. I'm not taking sides in that one....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #4943
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

As far as I know the debate was mostly about to which extend the Caucasus countries are in Europe, is it the Russian - Georgian / Azerbaijani border? The Kura River? Or even including Armenia? Since the Mount Elbrus is entirely within Russia (the summit is not at the border with Georgia), I never expected this to be a point of debate. Which makes me think about what would then count as the border of Europe, if Elbrus is not in Europe. There are no major east-west geographical features north of the Caucasus that could act as a border. As far as I know, even far western Kazakhstan is considered to be in Europe (west of the Ural River).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #4944
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders...urope_and_Asia
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4945
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Geographically the border between Europe and Asia is the Caucasus. In the near of Elbrus it is the same as Russian-Georgian border so that Elbrus is in Europe without doubt.
But it is not true for the whole chain of Caucasus (that's why I wrote you previously that being in Russia is not necesserily being in Europe). Sochi is south of the mountain but in Russia while Sumgait is north of the mountain but in Azerbaijan.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4946
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders...urope_and_Asia
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #4947
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

The Caucasus division line is relatively modern and there is still no universal consensus. Some prefer the Don-Volga line, which would make Elbrus entirely in Asia.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #4948
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Borders of Europe are much more serious than what's the highest mountain. At least once in the past a candidacy for accessing UE was denied because the proponent Nation was not in Europe. If Caucasian Republics want to seek access to UE, questions about European borders must be definitively answered.
Cyprus is not in Europe, but it's in the European Union. If it's not enough, it still has disputes about its borders and the status of Northern Cyprus.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #4949
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

There really isn't any universal consensus, EEC (the ones behind iron curtain) had and still have different approach, you can see it e.g. here: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granica_Europa-Azja - the red line. I learned this in CZ as well. For us highest peak of Europe is Mt. Blanc and Caucasus is not in Europe.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4950
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's a rather complex political situation, but Cypriots are of European culture. You can't say this about Kazakis or Azeris... maybe Armenians.
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #4951
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

MEXICO AND BELIZE, BY HOTU MATUA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotu Matua View Post
Ahí pude captar esta foto del Río Hondo formando la frontera entre México y Belice, una toma que aprecio mucho porque es infrecuente, y porque pocos nos acordamos del tercer vecino. Puede apreciarse Chetumal arriba y Corozal, abajo.

image hosted on flickr

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #4952
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ntal_countries

Explains a little bit about continental borders. Europe and Asia is very complicated business as quite a few countries in Asia are considered Europe by political and cultural issues.... (in my opinion they prefer to be part of Europe).
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4953
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

As far as I know, the begining of the by is totally of Belize. There is a treaty that allows Mexican ships crossing the bay with no restriction except the army ships.

Mexico has built a channel for them. Rest of ships is faster going by the bay.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #4954
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Cyprus is not in Europe, but it's in the European Union. If it's not enough, it still has disputes about its borders and the status of Northern Cyprus.
This is a similar case most european people think about Mexico.... they think Mexico is not a North american country but it's in the NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement) which includes USA, Mexico and Canada.

we could say The border between MEXICO and BELIZE is the border between North America and central America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post
MEXICO AND BELIZE, BY HOTU MATUA:
image hosted on flickr

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #4955
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

never heard of anyone thinking Mexico is in anything but North America
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #4956
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post
This is a similar case most european people think about Mexico.... they think Mexico is not a North american country but it's in the NAFTA (North America Free Trade Agreement) which includes USA, Mexico and Canada.

we could say The border between MEXICO and BELIZE is the border between North America and central America.

But the NORTH AMERICAN CONTINENT ends in the ISTHMUS OF PANAMA,
Central America is part of the North American Continent

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #4957
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Yep, the "North America" is often used in a political sense, and usually includes only the United States and Canada, and sometimes Mexico. There is no such continent as Central America.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #4958
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

It depends really, in school in the UK they do teach that Central America is a continent, but in the UK the definition does vary, sometimes North America goes as far as Panama, sometimes as far as Southern Mexico, sometimes only Canada and the US.

In Portugal, North America includes Central America, but a "North American" is the same as an "American", i.e someone from the United States.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4959
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
It depends really, in school in the UK they do teach that Central America is a continent, but in the UK the definition does vary, sometimes North America goes as far as Panama, sometimes as far as Southern Mexico, sometimes only Canada and the US.

In Portugal, North America includes Central America, but a "North American" is the same as an "American", i.e someone from the United States.
Never got taught that at my school (long time ago). We were taught that the border between the continents of North & South America was Panama/Colombia with the Caribbean islands being part of North America.

However, we were also taught that the two continents were split into 4 areas. North - Canada & USA, Central - Mexico to Panama, South - Colombia onwards & the Caribbean - all the islands.

Maybe the curriculum has changed since I left.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #4960
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

The curriculum changes a lot. The people in the year before are taught different things to me and I m taught different things to the year behind, especially in science, if they discover something new, but they still have to teach things that are wrong, for example teachers still have to teach that Pluto is a full planet, at least they had to last year, they probably don't anymore
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways