daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4961
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The curriculum changes a lot. The people in the year before are taught different things to me and I m taught different things to the year behind, especially in science, if they discover something new, but they still have to teach things that are wrong, for example teachers still have to teach that Pluto is a full planet, at least they had to last year, they probably don't anymore
Pluto was a planet when I studied at school, so it's still a planet for me right now.

And to be ontopic: Pluto is at our solar system border crossing
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #4962
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

And to be ontopic: Pluto is at our solar system border crossing
Mmm, not really. Pluto's just 40 AU away, while Sedna, for instance, reaches 520 AU... and Sedna is still far away the border of the Solar System. Maybe Pluto's on a regional border, between inner Solar system and Kuiper belt.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4963
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Quote:
Pluto was a planet when I studied at school, so it's still a planet for me right now.
Yep, for people who went to school in the 1980's, the Soviet Union still exists too! You're never too old to learn.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #4964
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Mmm, not really. Pluto's just 40 AU away, while Sedna, for instance, reaches 520 AU... and Sedna is still far away the border of the Solar System. Maybe Pluto's on a regional border, between inner Solar system and Kuiper belt.
Ok, I'll write that again: Pluto is the closest planet from our solar system border / Pluto is the last planet before the intergalactical border crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep, for people who went to school in the 1980's, the Soviet Union still exists too! You're never too old to learn.
Come on. This situation is way different. The Soviet Union is no more, but Pluto is still there exactly as it was before. But you can always have another opionion
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #4965
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Ok, I'll write that again: Pluto is the closest planet from our solar system border / Pluto is the last planet before the intergalactical border crossing
Mmm. Haumea is as big as Pluto but 50 AU from the Sun; Eris is bigger than Pluto and orbiting at 100 AU. So, wrong again
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #4966
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Quote:
Mmm. Haumea is as big as Pluto but 50 AU from the Sun; Eris is bigger than Pluto and orbiting at 100 AU. So, wrong again
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #4967
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I was in highschool 1988-92. In geography studies we learned that the world's best economics is that of the USSR. But when we've finished high school and had to do final exams, even the Soviet Union did not exist any more. It was easy to do the exam since the teacher had almost nothing to ask :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #4968
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
The curriculum changes a lot. The people in the year before are taught different things to me and I m taught different things to the year behind, especially in science, if they discover something new, but they still have to teach things that are wrong, for example teachers still have to teach that Pluto is a full planet, at least they had to last year, they probably don't anymore
With all due respect, that is absolute bollocks.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #4969
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Care to elaborate?
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4970
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
The curriculum does not change year to year.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4971
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
never heard of anyone thinking Mexico is in anything but North America
I'm Spanish and at High School, in the subject of World Geography, teacher separated political and phyisical geography. In the case of political teacher focused mainly in European Union, United States, Japan and USSR (yeah... one year before dissapearing)

In the case of physical geography we studied the six continents all of them separated. This is... when studying Africa, not north Africa, central Africa... but all the continent together. Of course they were studied differences inside any continent, but thinking always that Asia is from Turkey to Japan and America is from Alaska to Chile, for example.

Teacher gave more importance to Europe (continent where living) and America (in the next year, all America discovery and conquering, including, places, rivers, years, etc... will be studied).

And talking about America the criteria was the following:

- North America: Canada, United States and most of Mexico (all except Yucatan, Chiapas, etc...). Just look a map and... up to the narrowest part of Mexico.

- Central America: The little part of Mexico, all Caribean islands and up to Panama Canal.

- South America: Part of Panama (southern from the Canal) and all countries from Colombia through the south.

He explained that continents are pointed by oceans, mountains, etc... but never from political lines.
Should a political line (a border) change... will the continent change too??????

This is why, with this reason Mexico is together in North and Central America, and Panama is in Central and South America.

Anyway... America was considereded from the north of Canada to the south of Chile, and as far as most, most, most of people who talk the language live in this continent, in the Spanish language, talking to America means talking about the FULL continent. Should you want to talk about one part, you must say by its name, not by the continent name.

In the same case, Turkey is together between Europe and Asia, Russia too. Egypt is between Africa and Asia, and Spain between Europe and Africa, for example (there are more multi-continent cases).

Quote:
At History class, teacher was angry because she was explaining Roman Empire civilization and she started talking about some cities and current countries in eastern Europe and a lot of people mixed up some of them.

She said we had the year before a subject about geography and we should know all countries... and she adviced that in the examn she will put a "blank map" to write a sketch about this Empire and... current countries.
Should a student will not write correctly all countries around that Empire (most of European, and some of eastern Asia and northern Africa), will have only half of punctuation.

And thanks that USSR, Yugoslavia, etc... still existed because there were some students with a very weak level of knowledge about this.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #4972
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

A calm and quiet crossing:
Oberriet (CH) -> Meiningen (A), just north of Liechtenstein

1. The bridge between the customs booths of both countries

2. Entering Austria
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #4973
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9964

Quote:
Pluto is the last planet before the intergalactical border crossing
Interstellar would be the right term I think, instead of intergalactic... Anyway, pluto is no longer the last planet before the "interstellar border crossing": Neptune stole to Pluto this very enviable status , as stated above !
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #4974
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
The curriculum does not change year to year.
Not officially perhaps no, but the school can change the exam board for example. That happened to me last year, and what we had to learn for the exams changed a lot.

We aren't taught for us to learn, but to pass the exams, and the exams do vary, for example one year its mainly on x, then y, then u, then p, then x then y and so forth, so what we are taught will vary, if the teachers expect for p to come up in an exam, that is what we are taught, if y comes up, well we're in trouble
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #4975
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
In schools that I went to in Portugal, the world maps they had still had the Soviet Union and the last school I went to had a map of Portugal from 1965, with all the colonies in a much smaller scale, and the school was half the age of the map

EDIT: This post should be underneath the next post, but its gone up here

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 18th, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #4976
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Been living in north America my whole life. I had no idea there was confusion on where it ended. I mean I could see central America maybe? But its pretty well known that Mexico is in north America.

They are in the north American soccer federation as well!
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #4977
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

That can help us...

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #4978
erxgli

Likes (Received): 17

Mexico is in the north american plate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erxgli View Post
That can help us...

erxgli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #4979
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
Been living in north America my whole life. I had no idea there was confusion on where it ended. I mean I could see central America maybe? But its pretty well known that Mexico is in north America.

They are in the north American soccer federation as well!

CONCACAF

http://www.concacaf.com/page/Home/0,,12813,00.html

North, central and Caribbean Association.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #4980
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
In schools that I went to in Portugal, the world maps they had still had the Soviet Union and the last school I went to had a map of Portugal from 1965, with all the colonies in a much smaller scale, and the school was half the age of the map

EDIT: This post should be underneath the next post, but its gone up here
When I was in gymnasium (I think it was around 2000-2004) we also had a very old map. Romania was still bordering the Soviet Union. I now see many maps where Romania is not bordering Soviet Union anymore (but Ukraine and Rep. of Moldova), but there is a country called Yugoslavia next to us

Tags
highways, motorways